Triple monitor setup adjustment

Go to solution Solved by Scott-S6,

Hello everyone, I want to set up a triple monitor configuration. One main 43" 4K monitor and two 32" 2K monitors. I've tried to project the image onto the two 32" monitors (I know the images will be cropped at the top or bottom, depending on the positioning of the side monitors, but I couldn't do it... well, I did, but the aspect ratio between the 32" and the 43" is not maintained). I've attached a more explicit diagram. Is it possible to achieve this? Thank you in advance for any help provided.

3 x screens.png

• Solution

You need to look at the available resolutions and calculate what the pixel density is for each - i.e. they must all have the same pixels per inch. Then it'll work the way that you want.

Remember that the game has no idea what the physical size of the monitors is.

Edited by Scott-S6

On 5/13/2023 at 7:28 PM, Scott-S6 said:

You need to look at the available resolutions and calculate what the pixel density is for each - i.e. they must all have the same pixels per inch. Then it'll work the way that you want.

Remember that the game has no idea what the physical size of the monitors is.

"I'm almost there, but I've been doing it somewhat randomly... I haven't found the exact calculation? Do you know it? Thanks anyway."

1 hour ago, LuckyOne said:

"I'm almost there, but I've been doing it somewhat randomly... I haven't found the exact calculation? Do you know it? Thanks anyway."

Divide the X resolution by the monitor's width. Do the same with the Y. (I.e. pixels per inch/cm)

You want to find resolutions that give you the closest possible values for each monitor.

I am interested...
I have a 32" 1440p display.
I also have another 27" 1080p display.
I had an idea of buying another 27" and put those two vertically at the sides of the main monitor.
Would it be possible to have a proper alined view this way with the correct proportions?
Any guideline on that?

Divide the X resolution by the monitor's width. Do the same with the Y. (I.e. pixels per inch/cm)
You want to find resolutions that give you the closest possible values for each monitor.
Where to put the results of these calculations?

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

6 hours ago, VirusAM said:

I am interested...
I have a 32" 1440p display.
I also have another 27" 1080p display.
I had an idea of buying another 27" and put those two vertically at the sides of the main monitor.
Would it be possible to have a proper alined view this way with the correct proportions?
Any guideline on that?

Where to put the results of these calculations?

You don't need to put them anywhere. You need to select resolutions for the displays that such that all displays have pixel density as close as possible to each other.

If your smaller monitors were half the size then you'd want them to have half the resolution (so same number of pixels per inch) so that a stretched display would look right. 

If your displays aren't in the same orientation then remember to calculate the X and Y based on the orientation you're using.

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Like 1

I managed to randomly and through trial and error get the screens to align. However, I haven't found the operation, even after seeking help from someone who is very good at mathematics. The values, ratio, etc., of the X and Y or the aspect ratio between the screens don't seem to work with the "real physical" view... it's a puzzle...

What I can tell you is that a 42.5-inch screen with a resolution of 2560x1440 (2K) is equivalent to a 32-inch screen with a resolution of 1920x1080.

1 hour ago, LuckyOne said:

I managed to randomly and through trial and error get the screens to align. However, I haven't found the operation, even after seeking help from someone who is very good at mathematics. The values, ratio, etc., of the X and Y or the aspect ratio between the screens don't seem to work with the "real physical" view... it's a puzzle...

What I can tell you is that a 42.5-inch screen with a resolution of 2560x1440 (2K) is equivalent to a 32-inch screen with a resolution of 1920x1080.

Measure the X and Y of the two displays (the display area) and I'll show you why it works.

Edited by Scott-S6

Are these the measurements you want?  "workspace/surface" only

Screen 42,5 " = 941.18 x 529.42mm 

32" = 697.344 mm x 392.256 mm

Edited by LuckyOne

12 hours ago, LuckyOne said:

Are these the measurements you want?  "workspace/surface" only

Screen 42,5 " = 941.18 x 529.42mm 

32" = 697.344 mm x 392.256 mm

Okay, so in your initial state, the X axis was 40.8 pixels per cm on the large display and the small display was 36.7. That doesn't seem like much but it will definitely distort a display stretched across them. The relative physical size does not match the relative pixel size (remember that the game is just drawing pixels, it doesn't understand the physical size of the monitors). If you want to visualize this better just drag a window between the monitors - you can see that it's not the same physical size even though it's the same number of pixels.

With your new resolutions the large screen is 27.2 and the small is 27.4. Drastically closer and pretty close to perfect. A scale drawing of the monitors and a pixel map of the monitors would show (almost) the same relative size of the monitors and if you drag a window between them it's physical size will barely change. That's what we want in order to display a picture (or game display port) across them and have it look right.

The pixel density of the X axis is obtained by dividing the X resolution by the X dimension i.e. 3840pixels / 94.1cm = 40.8pixels/cm. You should also check the Y although it's only really significant if the monitors are different aspect ratios and/or orientations.

Does that make more sense now? 

For anyone reading this later - you don't need to worry about this for displays that are going to have things like MFDs on them, only for displays that are going to have one "picture" (like the main game display) stretched across them. If you've got one display for the main game and one or more displays for MFDs, radar, etc then you can ignore this.

Edited by Scott-S6

Thank you for all this information, which allowed me to find the calculation to adjust an image without distortion on any screen. Here it is for my screens (to be adjusted to your measurements):

32" = 27.89" x 15.69"  and Res 2560 x 1440 px

D=(2560 x 1440)/(27.89 x 15.69) = 8424.24 px/p

42,5" = 37.05" x 20.84" and Res 3840 x 2160 px

D=(3840 x 2160)/(37.05 x 20.84) = 10742.34 px/p

The aspect ratio between the two measurements is : 1.2751 

which we take the square root of = 1,1292

also to adjust my screen to each other (32") and ensure that the 42,5" display is in the correct proportions, you should end with: 

42,5" = X/1.1292 = 3401 px and Y/1.1292 = 1913 

Final ratio : 3401 x 1913 

On 5/23/2023 at 5:35 AM, LuckyOne said:

32" = 27.89" x 15.69"  and Res 2560 x 1440 px

D=(2560 x 1440)/(27.89 x 15.69) = 8424.24 px/p

42,5" = 37.05" x 20.84" and Res 3840 x 2160 px

D=(3840 x 2160)/(37.05 x 20.84) = 10742.34 px/p

One note, you should do the X and Y separately, not combine them as you did. Extra steps you don't need to do. Modern displays mostly have pixels that are pretty square 

32" Dx = 2560 pixels / 27.89 inches = 91.8 pixels per inch

32" Dy = 1440 / 15.69 = 91.8

42" Dx = 3840 / 37.05 = 103.6

42" Dy = 2160 / 20.84 = 103.6

As you can see with modern displays you can just look at one axis, whichever is more convenient (remember to take the measurement and pixels for the physical dimension if you have a mix of orientations). I generally use the X for no particular reason.

We can see from these numbers that the these resolutions on these displays aren't a good match (they could be on other screens, for example if the smaller displays were 29" then these resolutions would be pretty good).

Since both are at their highest resolution we need to reduce the resolution of the 42" display because it has the higher density. The ideal would be 3401x1913 (the dimensions of the screen X the target density 91.8). If the display has a res close to that then bingo. If not then drop the screen with the higher density to it's next lowest resolution and calculate again.

For those that don't like math, just drag a window so it's partially on both screens. If the window is bigger on one of the screens then your pixel densities don't match. Lower the res on the screen where the window is smaller. Repeat the experiment and again reduce the resolution on the screen where the window is smaller. Whichever combo of resolutions results in the window being as close to the same size as possible on the two screens is the answer.

Couple of examples below (laptop and random monitor but works to make the point). You can see with the native resolution they're a terrible match, the window is totally different in size. In the other pic the window is kinda close to the same size, not perfect but as good as these particular two displays can do. 

PXL_20230523_141710842_1.jpg

PXL_20230523_141552950_1.jpg

Edited by Scott-S6