New Gun Sounds

Quite a distinct change in the external gun sounds since the last update.

Machine guns seem to have very little resemblance to their " sound of fabric tearing" reputation.

Maybe because of the reduction to 4 guns from 8 in the earlier variants.

Or has my hearing suddenly got worse......šŸ™‚

Nobody complained about old guns sounds, so ED changed those, and now ppl are complaining. Imho, those changes in gun sounds didn't go well.

• Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

The .303s I donā€™t have much reference on; though I too have read/heard the tearing linen reference but as noted that might have been more appropriate for the 8 gun fighters of the early part of the war.

What really seems to have changed is the Hispano 20mm sounds - but Iā€™m not sure for the better. They sound tinny and thin compared to the previous iteration and considering that most sources refer to the sound as a thumping noise it doesnā€™t seem to meshā€¦

• Like 2

Yeah I loved the old DCS ww2 gun sounds as they sounded RAW unedited. And the sounds of theĀ  firing from a distance was great.Ā  Now they sound more Hollywoody. More processed.Ā 

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

5 hours ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Here's a quote from the late Tom Neil, former Battle of Britain Hurricane who flew Spitfire Vs and XIIs on cross channel operations in 1942-43:

IMG_0750.jpg

Interesting. Also Interesting what comes after. Our 20mm shells definitely doesn't do what he describes.Ā 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2023 at 11:21 AM, DD_Fenrir said:

Here's a quote from the late Tom Neil, former Battle of Britain Hurricane who flew Spitfire Vs and XIIs on cross channel operations in 1942-43:

IMG_0750.jpg

Which book is that by the way?

First off, I totally agree that the cannons donā€™t sound right. I canā€™t even tell if there firing or not now.
And what Tom Neil says in the above screen shot sounds like what Iā€™d expect.

Butā€¦

Thatā€™s odd, in his book Scramble Tom Neil said he only flew the Spitfire a handful of times. First time was the 1st of June 1940 and the last time being 11th June 1940, after that it was Hurricanes.
And from what he wrote the one he flew had 8 Brownings, ofc he probably fired the 20mm cannons in a Hurricane (right?).

Intresting he managed to squeeze a book out of that, or am I thinking of a different Tom Neil?

I remember being a bit disappointed when I read Scramble that he was not a Spitfire pilot. Silly me, itā€™s a great read.

PS. Sorry, I obviously have too much spare time today šŸ˜‰

7342A52A-7F5E-44F9-A389-7DFDDE7621AB.jpeg

Edited by Digitalvole

My only complaint with the new sounds--though moreso with the 50cals in the American birds--is that I can kind of hear metal clanking like the metal linkages or brass casings bouncing around, which I'm not sure the pilot would be able to hear from the cockpit, much less over the noise of the engine.Ā 

8 minutes ago, Digitalvole said:

First off, I totally agree that the cannons donā€™t sound right. I canā€™t even tell if there firing or not now.
And what Tom Neil says in the above screen shot sounds like what Iā€™d expect.

Agreed.

8 minutes ago, Digitalvole said:

Thatā€™s odd, in his book Scramble Tom Neil said he only flew the Spitfire a handful of times. First time was the 1st of June 1940 and the last time being 11th June 1940, after that it was Hurricanes.
And from what he wrote the one he flew had 8 Brownings.

Intresting he managed to squeeze a book out of that, or am I thinking of a different Tom Neil?

I remember being a bit disappointed when I read Scramble that he was not a Spitfire pilot. Silly me, itā€™s a great read.

Ā 

Same Tom Neil.Ā 

His time frame refence regards flying 8 gun Spitfires is during the period prior to the Battle of Britain, which corresponds to the Mk.I/II variants. Later his squadron, 249, took their Hurricanes to Malta and flew some fairly desperate actions against the Regia Aeronautica and Luftwaffe in 1941. This is covered in his book "Onward to Malta".

He came home to the UK in 1942 and after a rest period took over 41 squadron flying Spitfire Mk.Vs and then Mk.XIIs, both cannon armed.

If you can get the Spitfire book, I can recommend it. Cuts through some of the rose tinted propaganda mystique that comes with the Spit and is a more considered evaluation of it as a flying machine with an objective view of it's quirks and foibles.

Ā 

• Like 2

Iā€™m deffo going to get a copy then, thanks @DD_Fenrir.Ā 

Scramble ends with Malta, and was written a while ago (itā€™s a few books squashed into one isnā€™t it?).

How odd he sayā€™s itā€™s the last time he flew a Spitfire, he must of meant in the Battle of Britain I suppose.

New book to buy, woop woop! Do you have any recommendations for Mossie books? Iā€™ve nearly finished Terror in the Starboard Seat. šŸ™‚

Tom Neil also stole - ahem, rescued - an abandoned Spitfire after a French RAF pilot dumped it somewhere in the NW of France near where Neil was acting as US liaison officer to the US IXth Air Force fighter HQ. He then had to get rid of it at the end of his posting, which proved much harder than he imagined. Excellent tale told with great detail in his book The Silver Spitfire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

The Men Who Flew the Mosquito

By Martin W Bowman

Publisher ā€ : ā€Ž Leo Cooper Ltd; First Edition (22 July 2003)
Language ā€ : ā€Ž English
Hardcover ā€ : ā€Ž 256 pages
ISBN-10 ā€ : ā€Ž 1844150135
ISBN-13 ā€ : ā€Ž 978-1844150137

This a good overview of the various missions undertaken by Mossies of all marques.

• Thanks 1

Night Flyer

By Lewis Brandon

Publisher ā€ : ā€Ž Goodall Publications Ltd; 2nd edition (1 July 1999)
Language ā€ : ā€Ž English
Paperback ā€ : ā€Ž 200 pages
ISBN-10 ā€ : ā€Ž 0907579779
ISBN-13 ā€ : ā€Ž 978-0907579779

Fascinating insight into Night fighter ops in Beaufighters and Mosquitos.

• Thanks 1

I almost posted here yesterday but got busy. Had me confused for a minute and I didnā€™t wanna post without double checking what I knew for certain, given the forum itā€™s on.

DD Fenrir saved me the troubleā€¦ Good ol Tom.Ā 
Ā 

I was lucky enough to meet and spend time with him a number of times, almost always with his wife and the pair of them couldnā€™t have been nicer. Heā€™d told me his favourite Spit to fly and it wasnā€™t what I was reading yesterday about here. Had me thinking maybe there was another?

I used to go to book signings and airshows and meet the veterans. First time I met Tom I wasnā€™t expecting to and was reduced to a silly starstruck mumbling idiot. I was most times to be fair. They couldnā€™t have made me more comfortable though. At the time, I was trying to get hold of his ā€œGun Button to Fireā€. (Every time I take the safety off in the Spit I remember him haha). I told him Iā€™d seen a copy going for over Ā£200 on ā€˜the internetā€™, I wasnā€™t even online myself back then. I got the book eventually but at a sensible price. I didnā€™t get it signed but Iā€™ve got his signature in enough books and on prints. He really was a proper old school gent. Sharp as a tack too. His wife was one of the girls plotting aircraftā€¦ I should shut up, Iā€™m sure thereā€™s plenty here that know a lot more than I do already, I just had to post, seeing his name again and having got to know him a little.Ā 
Ā 

Flight into Darkness is another good book from Tom. That one he has signed. Iā€™ll stop spanking your thread too now before it does turn into a book club.Ā šŸ¤Ŗ

The gun soundsā€¦ Iā€™ve not flown the Spit in anger for a while, not that Iā€™m much of a threat with it, guns sounded ok but will have to check those cannons now. The Jugā€™s guns sounded like they echoed last time I heard them, better sounding before I thought. Did they all need fixing?

Oh and cheers Fenrir et al for the Mossie book pointers.

Ā 

I don't usually fly with headphones but did earlier to see about the Spits gun and cannon sounds. Visually, I think the Cannons shake the aircraft more than they used to. Maybe that's just me not having flown it for a bit? The sound though, to my ears, Cannons don't sound a lot different to the machine guns, maybe a bit more grunty? Does anyone have both sound files? Before and afters?

Don't think it's just your ears Scream.

• 4 months later...
On 5/24/2023 at 6:22 AM, Slippa said:

I almost posted here yesterday but got busy. Had me confused for a minute and I didnā€™t wanna post without double checking what I knew for certain, given the forum itā€™s on.

DD Fenrir saved me the troubleā€¦ Good ol Tom.Ā 
Ā 

I was lucky enough to meet and spend time with him a number of times, almost always with his wife and the pair of them couldnā€™t have been nicer. Heā€™d told me his favourite Spit to fly and it wasnā€™t what I was reading yesterday about here. Had me thinking maybe there was another?

I used to go to book signings and airshows and meet the veterans. First time I met Tom I wasnā€™t expecting to and was reduced to a silly starstruck mumbling idiot. I was most times to be fair. They couldnā€™t have made me more comfortable though. At the time, I was trying to get hold of his ā€œGun Button to Fireā€. (Every time I take the safety off in the Spit I remember him haha). I told him Iā€™d seen a copy going for over Ā£200 on ā€˜the internetā€™, I wasnā€™t even online myself back then. I got the book eventually but at a sensible price. I didnā€™t get it signed but Iā€™ve got his signature in enough books and on prints. He really was a proper old school gent. Sharp as a tack too. His wife was one of the girls plotting aircraftā€¦ I should shut up, Iā€™m sure thereā€™s plenty here that know a lot more than I do already, I just had to post, seeing his name again and having got to know him a little.Ā 
Ā 

Flight into Darkness is another good book from Tom. That one he has signed. Iā€™ll stop spanking your thread too now before it does turn into a book club.Ā šŸ¤Ŗ

The gun soundsā€¦ Iā€™ve not flown the Spit in anger for a while, not that Iā€™m much of a threat with it, guns sounded ok but will have to check those cannons now. The Jugā€™s guns sounded like they echoed last time I heard them, better sounding before I thought. Did they all need fixing?

Oh and cheers Fenrir et al for the Mossie book pointers.

Ā 

Sorry to necro a thread, but it played on my mind for months that I never replied to this. Life got in the way, sorry.

wow! Such an amazing experience @SlippaĀ that must have been, and what a man Tom Neil was.

Thanks to @DD_FenrirĀ Iā€™m reading the Silver Spitfire as my marriage seems to be falling apart. A truly fascinating read. This for example:Ā 

Come to think of it I do t know where that pic will show up in the formatting, but dropping a Spitfire from 40K (40K ftw, see profile pic šŸ˜‰Ā ) these people were beyond brave.

So thanks @DD_FenrirĀ for your recommendations and sorry @SlippaĀ for being so slack.

Edit. I should have taken a better picture but I thought it was worth noting he did it twice!

CE0A7241-E6B1-4B79-98C3-5A22558EBCDF.jpeg

Edited by Digitalvole
  • Like 1