Ice Halo realism question

Go to solution Solved by g5flyer,

Hello,
i'm a bit overwhelmed by the differetn ice halo settings. Will "auto" always produce a realistic result?
How much are ice halos dependant on temperature? When i'm flying in Persian Gulf in summer, should i put them to off, or auto?
Can Ice Halos even show in warmer regions/during warmer time of year? The upper atmosphere should be cold enough still to allow the forming of ice crystals, yet ice halos are very much associated with winter and snow...
Thanks.

Edited by twistking
  • Like 4

• twistking changed the title to Ice Halo realism question
  • 2 weeks later...
It seems to me that the icing in this game is not worked out at all. 
For example, I flew in winter at a surface temperature of -12 degrees Celsius. 
I flew in the clouds in the TF-51D with the carburettor heater turned off and the engine did not stall. 
Although the carburetor temperature gauge showed below minus 50 degrees Celsius.
Pitot heat was also off, but airspeed was displayed.

12 hours ago, Riddick said:
I flew in the clouds in the TF-51D with the carburettor heater turned off and the engine did not stall. 
Although the carburetor temperature gauge showed below minus 50 degrees Celsius.

These are things that maybe our simulated TF-51D lacks but it has nothing to do with ice halo, mentioned in the OP.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

15 hours ago, Riddick said:

Icing in DCS is simplified and based on altitude, not clouds. Also, carb icing in warbirds is not simulated, only pitot one (although there are currently reports investigated, about 109, 190 and Spit pitot heater switches working in reverse, or not working at all. Not sure if Mustang is affected).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

10 hours ago, draconus said:

These are things that maybe our simulated TF-51D lacks but it has nothing to do with ice halo, mentioned in the OP.

I agree, I should have read the subject line more carefully. But there are too many questions about the realism of the TF-51D. 
Some of the declared functions simply do not work and this makes it very difficult to enjoy the game. Therefore, I spoke in the first topic I came across about ice.

On 5/18/2023 at 4:37 PM, Riddick said:

That is generally too cold for carburetor icing. Carburetor icing occurs in high humidity conditions when the air entering the venturi throat rapidly cools and the moisture contained freezes. -12 C is too cold for this to be likely.

You can see that the chart for carb ice doesn't even go down to -12

carburettor-icing-chart-1024x706.jpg

NOTE: This is for information only and not meant to reflect on the accuracy of DCS modeling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

• Solution
On 5/9/2023 at 12:09 PM, twistking said:

The upper atmosphere should be cold enough still to allow the forming of ice crystals, yet ice halos are very much associated with winter and snow...

There's a lot that goes into that with the combination of humidity, temp and pressure. Even though it may be summer time, you will still have temperatures at which you can have those ice crystals. In fact, you can have a higher chance of getting into icing in the summer. For example, I was making a quick hop from Bogota, Columbia to Panama City, Panama. I was cruising at FL280 at night and suddenly got into some severe icing. It started with heavy precip that we could hear pelting the windscreen and fuselage. Then came the TAT fail warnings along with air data and TAS warning. The auto throttles kicked off all when it happened. The icing was so bad that the TAT heaters could not keep up with it. After a minute or so, we exited the clouds and all of the warnings went away. We turned the auto throttles back on and went on our way. The standard day temp at FL280 is -40C. At -40, it's generally too cold for icing.

What happens in the summer time, especially near the equator, you get those major storms with frontal passages. These big storms will throw up a lot of moisture and warm air high into the atmosphere. We call them hot towers. As you get close to these storms, the warm air and moisture is perfect for severe icing. There have been many reports of aircraft losing engine power because those ice crystals start to choke off the the engine near the first stage of compression and cause the engines to roll back to a lower setting until you exit conditions.

In all, the conditions will determine where you will see the crystals/ice halos. It's just like contrails. Flying in the AOR, they would put the contrail altitude in your paperwork. That way, you can ensure to stay below it so you are harder to find visually. That altitude changes depending on conditions.        

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Now we just need sundogs, tangents, perizenithal arcs and other ice-associated phenomena.  I'm kidding, of course!

FWIW, ice halos are often seen and photographed in cold weather because they can also be caused by ice dust close to the ground, but presumably when you see it in an aircraft, it's ice crystals at high altitudes

Halos, sun dogs, arcs wow Kentuckian sky watchers | whas11.com

Edited by jaylw314

On 5/23/2023 at 2:15 PM, =475FG= Dawger said:

That is generally too cold for carburetor icing. Carburetor icing occurs in high humidity conditions when the air entering the venturi throat rapidly cools and the moisture contained freezes. -12 C is too cold for this to be likely.

You can see that the chart for carb ice doesn't even go down to -12

carburettor-icing-chart-1024x706.jpg

NOTE: This is for information only and not meant to reflect on the accuracy of DCS modeling.

Nice diagram, but how do you set the air humidity in DCS? I cannot find such settings in the editor.

15 hours ago, Riddick said:
Nice diagram, but how do you set the air humidity in DCS? I cannot find such settings in the editor.

There is no humidity simulated yet.

• Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria