Latest Nvidia Driver Update

Go to solution Solved by Rudel_chw,

On saturday I updated to the latest Nvidia drivers. I was previously using April 18th version. Opening up DCS I immediately noticed that I was getting major stutters where as before everything was perfectly smooth. It almost seemed like Vsync stopped working as I also get spikes up to 80fps and down to 35fps.

Today I rolled back the drivers, or downloaded and reinstalled previous drivers to be exact. However this did not do anything for the problem. When the major stutters start happening, CPU usage is normal at about 35-40% and temps at around 50deg c, ram is between 28-33gb out of 64, GPU usage is at approximately 60% with temps around 50deg c.

I am stumped as to what might have changed and why it did not fix itself after the driver rollback.

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wi-fi 2 motherboard, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus ROG Strix OC GeForce RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm side mounted intake fans and 3 x 140mm top mounted exhaust fans, 1 x 140mm rear mounted exhaust fans, front mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in 3 push, 3 pull intake configuration, 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals. 

• Solution
2 minutes ago, 104th_Money said:

I am stumped as to what might have changed and why it did not fix itself after the driver rollback.

perhaps you didn’t clear the metashaders2 and fxo folders, I always clear them whenever I change the gpu drivers or update dcs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hello Money!
Make sure you go through all NVIDIA control panel settings again, just to make sure they are still set correctly (e.g. get rid of setting "Optimal power", etc.)
Also make sure the second tab for application settings shows no other settings for DCS.exe.
I delete all user settings during installation of new drivers, so I have to go through them again, and therefore they are set for sure, and I cannot forget anything.

Plus Rudel's tip too....

Edited by TOViper
  • Like 1

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

23 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

perhaps you didn’t clear the metashaders2 and fxo folders, I always clear them whenever I change the gpu drivers or update dcs.

Rudel, this fixed 99% of the issues especially the highly fluctuating fps numbers. Thank you so much for responding. 

21 hours ago, TOViper said:

Hello Money!
Make sure you go through all NVIDIA control panel settings again, just to make sure they are still set correctly (e.g. get rid of setting "Optimal power", etc.)
Also make sure the second tab for application settings shows no other settings for DCS.exe.
I delete all user settings during installation of new drivers, so I have to go through them again, and therefore they are set for sure, and I cannot forget anything.

Plus Rudel's tip too....

TOViper, thank you also for responding. I checked and all settings were still as they were supposed to.

• Like 1

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wi-fi 2 motherboard, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus ROG Strix OC GeForce RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm side mounted intake fans and 3 x 140mm top mounted exhaust fans, 1 x 140mm rear mounted exhaust fans, front mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in 3 push, 3 pull intake configuration, 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals. 

@Rudel_chw

A quick update, I deleted the fxo and metashaders files after the roll back and it fixed the issues with the FPS. But it appeared the rollback itself caused numerous BSOD crashes at the most random times. 

In the middle of this issue I also unparked the CPU cores which appeared to have no effect on FPS, reverted the unpark back to original which I believed at the time I might have not reverted correctly, installed a windows update and upgraded my CPU to a i9-13900k. 

I literally couldn’t figure out what the different BSOD crashing issues were with all of the changes. I tried so many different things, using DDU to clean uninstall the Nvidia drivers then reinstalled the previous drivers, cleaned and repaired registry, reseated CPU/cooler and even reinstalled W11 OS while keeping my apps and files and none of it helped at all. 

In the end I accidentally found that I had left my Asus overclock on from the previous CPU. So I turned that off and then I decided that maybe I should install the latest Nvidia drivers and delete the fxo and metashaders files again to see if that helped. 

Doing those 2 things solved all problems and everything is back to normal again. What a stressful weekend it was. 

The moral of the story for anyone reading is to do one thing at a time so you know what that it broke something and save yourself the wild goose chase lol. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same issue. Deleted fxo and metashaders2 after the driver update. Same problem, and VRAM maxes out at 24Gb. CPU and RAM are not (currently) OC. 

Problem is that it's intermittent as hell. Sounds like there' something amiss between the patch and the new drivers.