Dieselmadness
Go to solution Solved by FrostLaufeyson,

hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. so ive enabled the TACAN, ICLS,ACLS, and LINK4 on the supercarrier, double checked all frequencies, I fly inbound and everything seems to be working, until i slow to on speed at 140KTS, engage ATC (as in chucks guide) and the second i select the autopilot to couple, everything goes to hell..the plane abruptly turns left, then right..kinda seems like its going in the general direction but always seems to be lost, about put me in the drink until i firewalled the throttles and ended up making a manual approach and hand jammed it onto the deck. I get everything including the final "ACL RDY Mode 1" message With the ACLS I CANNOT get this autopilot to work at all. ive followed "chucks guide" to the letter, watched wags videos on youtube, but im clearly not doing something right..is there a trick to auto landing the hornet onto the deck? this is what ive been following...https://chucksguides.com/aircraft/dcs/fa-18c/

Edited by Dieselmadness

• Solution

ACLS is not something magic, it may get worse

I suggest that you make the velocity vector not deviate too much in the horizontal direction before you engage A/P, otherwise ACLS will drag your aircraft left and right into the sea.

image.png

In Wags video, the vector used to indicate is slightly to the right, and if it's too far off, it would cause the autopilot to over-intervene.

You don't need to worry too much about things in the vertical, ACLS will wait until you enter the correct glide slope to lower the height.

Edited by FrostLaufeyson

4 hours ago, Dieselmadness said:

hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. so ive enabled the TACAN, ICLS,ACLS, and LINK4 on the supercarrier, double checked all frequencies, I fly inbound and everything seems to be working, until i slow to on speed at 140KTS, engage ATC (as in chucks guide) and the second i select the autopilot to couple, everything goes to hell..the plane abruptly turns left, then right..kinda seems like its going in the general direction but always seems to be lost, about put me in the drink until i firewalled the throttles and ended up making a manual approach and hand jammed it onto the deck. I get everything including the final "ACL RDY Mode 1" message With the ACLS I CANNOT get this autopilot to work at all. ive followed "chucks guide" to the letter, watched wags videos on youtube, but im clearly not doing something right..is there a trick to auto landing the hornet onto the deck? this is what ive been following...https://chucksguides.com/aircraft/dcs/fa-18c/

Don't activate ATC until you get the final DATA and ACLS LOCK ON call [6 miles], be as close to 140 as you can, ATC and CPL ON, 240mhz seems a stable freq my end.

At 10 miles out at 250knts and 1200ft im going ATC and ALT hold off, Gear down, flaps, trim for 140knts, flying manually to the 6nm call then ATC on and CPL ON

Edited by IanC58
more info

74_Fox

6 hours ago, Dieselmadness said:

I did this simple video tut some time ago, just check if it can help, sorry for the aspect ratio but I didn't want to record it again... should be ok as a quick tut on ACLS and F18