How is the F-14 cockpit in VR?

Temetre

Just a little followup, I bought the F-14 in the current sale. 

The cockpit seems to work perfectly fine in VR. Some really worn labels are hard to read and I have to get closer, but its only little worse than in 2D, and everything relevant is there. Funnily enough, I can even kinda read (half-guess^^) my TACAN number.

Im really enjoying how much audio-visual feedback the F-14 gives me, adds a lot to the immersion of flying in VR. Managed to jam the flaps on my first takeoff, was quite the adventure. I did get to land safely tho, even if there mightve been drifting involved.

Thx again for all the answers 👍

Edited by Temetre
  • Like 1

My problem with the default texture is that it affects the performance a bit (ghosting) which does not show in other cockpits.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants:

My problem with the default texture is that it affects the performance a bit (ghosting) which does not show in other cockpits.

Ive seen ghosting, and I "think" it might be caused by bad frametimes. So the F-14 cockpit being more detailed, or taking more memory might cause worse FPS/instable frametimes? I find FC3 aircraft more stable than an F-16, for example, for likely similar reasons.

I just found a really strange VR performance issue yesterday tho: If the DCS game window is centered, I got ~58fps and horrible frametimes. But when the window was in background, it was 5fps more and very smooth frametimes. No clue what it was caused by though.

Edited by Temetre

The fun part is in VR, the frame rate can be high (e.g. >80 fps) but when you turn the head to either left or right, you will find very tiny stutters or ghosts. It is more noticeable when the fly-by plane is larger (e.g. Su-27 series). Using reskiined cockpit texture lightens the issue or get rid of it.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants:

The fun part is in VR, the frame rate can be high (e.g. >80 fps) but when you turn the head to either left or right, you will find very tiny stutters or ghosts. It is more noticeable when the fly-by plane is larger (e.g. Su-27 series). Using reskiined cockpit texture lightens the issue or get rid of it.

That might be a memory issue than, AKA your GPU memory being full? If your VRAM is maxed, and you turn your head, your GPU has to load new memory, causing stutter.

Id check if its full in a flight, and if so, try lowering textures till your GPU memory isnt maxed. That shouldnt make the experience more pleasant.

No, I always have ASW turned off. Let me see if I can capture this issue.

Overall F-14 cockpit looks great in VR, very detailed and realistic. Fantastic work. Some buttons are so badly used/worn out, especially in RIO cockpit, you have to look carefully or use back ligh to read them comfortably though.

Minus is cockpit weathering looks realistic - but for last years of F-14 from 2000s. Not for Cold War / Top Gun era F-14 when they were brand new, coming off the production line. I would like at least F-14A early to look like just lightly used, easily readable and sexy - not badly worn out and old.

(Similar situation to F-4E - at least early variant from 1974 shouldn't be badly worn out, but quite new.)

But overall kudos to HB graphic designers.

Edited by bies
  • Like 2

So Ive flown the F-14 a bit in VR, and couldnt really find any specific performance problem limited to the F-14. FPS might just be a tiny bit lower, but thats likely due to the level of detail. Same way how FC3>F16>F14 works out, but its not a massive difference. 

On performance side in VR I have to lower textures to medium and terrain textures to low, particularly on Syria. With higher texture settings in the Tomcat I always have an issue where at some point just prior to trap or immediately after trapping in a long mission, my framerates go from steady 36 to 11 and won't come back. This doesn't happen with lower texture settings. It also doesn't happen in the Hornet with all textures high.

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Nealius:

On performance side in VR I have to lower textures to medium and terrain textures to low, particularly on Syria. With higher texture settings in the Tomcat I always have an issue where at some point just prior to trap or immediately after trapping in a long mission, my framerates go from steady 36 to 11 and won't come back. This doesn't happen with lower texture settings. It also doesn't happen in the Hornet with all textures high.

I recommend checking your VRAM, its in the GPU driver (AMD is good with monitoring tools) or task manager>performance>GPU memory. That will make it easier to nail down the issue and to minimize it. DCS is very bad about memory usage, and seems to have a bunch of memory leaks.

Syria is also much rougher for me than Caucasus, thats for sure. I really hope the further multicore improvements and Vulkan can help with that annoying microstutter and weird CPU usage.

Edited by Temetre

If you are using OpenXR, there is an option to show VRAM usage. It may be a bit crude but I think it may help. 

vor 50 Minuten schrieb VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants:

If you are using OpenXR, there is an option to show VRAM usage. It may be a bit crude but I think it may help. 

You can also open the task manager on your desktop, and take down headset to look. In SteamVR you can use the "show desktop" function as well.

17 hours ago, Temetre said:

I recommend checking your VRAM, its in the GPU driver (AMD is good with monitoring tools) or task manager>performance>GPU memory. That will make it easier to nail down the issue and to minimize it. DCS is very bad about memory usage, and seems to have a bunch of memory leaks.

Yes. That's how I learned I needed to lower texture settings in certain scenarios. 

On 5/13/2023 at 3:12 PM, Temetre said:

So just kinda curious how is the F-14 cockpit in VR? Especially, how visible are the speed/altitude gauges and stuff visible in VR? I can play native 4k in VR now, but got a Pico-4 headset with wifi/streaming headset, so minor compression included.

The A-4 Skyhawk gauges are extremely clear and readable to me in VR, but theres ofc a lot of talk about F-14 gauges being a bit harder to read in 2D sometimes. Is that, or any other cockpit stuff a problem in VR? Just worn text on switches probably isnt a big deal, considering you memorize those positions in 2D as well.

Would love some opinions; ive did done extensive 2 week test on the F-14, to bridge the wait on the F-4. But considering the 4 seems ever further away, Im considering if I should get the 14 next sale anyway. Its an amazing module and plane after all, even if the price is a bit painful.

Very difficult to read tbh. HB has very accurately and realistically textured it from a junkyard F-14, so everything inside the cockpit is pretty much unreadable in VR, unless ofcourse you can afford spending a couple thousands in VR and PC gear.

11 minutes ago, ironhard said:

Very difficult to read tbh. HB has very accurately and realistically textured it from a junkyard F-14, so everything inside the cockpit is pretty much unreadable in VR, unless ofcourse you can afford spending a couple thousands in VR and PC gear.

So what kind of junkyard PC/VR you have?

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Nealius:

Yes. That's how I learned I needed to lower texture settings in certain scenarios. 

Ah, then you got it already 👍

Defo a thing to look out for when you buy new GPUs. 16 gigs of VRAM should be minimum when you buy a mid to high end GPU these days. Especially for DCS and VR.

Nvidia especially is a bit scummy how theyre trying to save cents with cutting down memory size and bus speed whereever they can. The result is that their 4060TI is actually slower than a 3060TI in a bunch of games. 3060 had more and still faster memory than a 4060TI, its silly.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Nealius:

Every manufacturer is scummy. 16GB cards are running equivalent to one-month's rent these days. 

Im not gonna fanboy for a company; its just that Nvidia created a pretty big problem for gaming with their low memory cards and huge market share.

AMDs 16gb cards are relatively affordable though.

vor 20 Minuten schrieb Nealius:

AMD 16GB cards are showing minimum $1,000 in my country. Which is rent....

Damn, thats a crazy price. Guess it depends where you live.

In Europe you get AMD 6950 XTs for 650€ (or in USA for 650 dollar), and 6800 XT for 540€. Meanwhile 4070TI with 12GB is 830€, what a joke.

Edited by Temetre

Ran some pre-lim tests, please comment:

16 minutes ago, ironhard said:

3080 TI, 5800X3D, 64Gb RAM @ 3600mhz and a Quest 2.

So with this h/w "everything inside the cockpit is pretty much unreadable in VR"?! What are you trying to read there?

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria