Stars are hardly visible

SharpeXB

The stars are hardly visible at all. 

Screen_230513_185512.jpg

Screen_230513_185528.jpg

• Like 2

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

3 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

possibly gamma? the wingtip light is not very bright in these pic(s). they are usually brighter.

Gamma is in the normal range. On an OLED screen like I’m using the nighttime sky should look amazing. It is in other sims. 

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

2 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

perhaps this?

The effect doesn’t change when moving my view. It’s a constant. I’m using the Stable ST version. 

21 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

The effect doesn’t change when moving my view. It’s a constant. I’m using the Stable ST version. 

kinda old but may be relevant. doubt it.

i still think the wingtip light in your shot is too dim.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

8 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

kinda old but may be relevant. doubt it.

i still think the wingtip light in your shot is too dim.

The wingtip just looks dim in the screenshot. I’m using an OLED screen and all the lights like the cockpit and city lights look super bright. Night scenes on a screen like this look fantastic otherwise. 
Gamma should only set the curve between black and white, not the absolute values. I’m using 4K and so the problem may be that DCS just draws the stars too small for that resolution. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Flappie said:

Are you using any custom shader? ReShade or anything else?

no shaders or anything used, here are my settings. I can see the stars in your screenshot which is at 1440p although they still aren't very pronounced, my guess is that DCS just draws them too small in 4K

Screen_230526_234554.jpg

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

my guess is that DCS just draws them too small in 4K

That would be the contrary to what happens to HUD symbology. 😔

I'll make some tests.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

• 2 months later...
On 5/14/2023 at 2:01 AM, SharpeXB said:

The stars are hardly visible at all. 

Screen_230513_185512.jpg

Screen_230513_185528.jpg

All I see is that there is a full moon witch makes a lot of the stars not visible, also it's not totally night on your screen, I can see some atmosphere on my OLED screen.

2 hours ago, Temetre said:

Your screen looks like theres more than just stars missing. Possibly you got the same issue like me, with light bugging out?

Lights from far away are not rendered, also this is more like a MiG-21Bis issue related

My Setup : i5-4690 3.50GHz + 24GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz + MSI RTX 2060 Super Ventus OC + 2 SSD + 4 HDD + Oculus Rift CV1 + TM T.16000M Hotas

Super Etendard for Life !

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Loukuins:

All I see is that there is a full moon witch makes a lot of the stars not visible, also it's not totally night on your screen, I can see some atmosphere on my OLED screen.

Yes, I can see some atmosphere on my screen too (without clouds in my example too). Especially on a full moon it would be pretty strange if this  near total darkness was intentional, however? 

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Loukuins:

Lights from far away are not rendered, also this is more like a MiG-21Bis issue related

Ive had the issue in other planes as well IIRC, at least in the A-4 mod. Or is this a known issue?

Edited by Temetre

1 hour ago, Temetre said:

Yes, I can see some atmosphere on my screen too (without clouds in my example too). Especially on a full moon it would be pretty strange if this  near total darkness was intentional, however? 

Ive had the issue in other planes as well IIRC, at least in the A-4 mod. Or is this a known issue?

I don't see near darkness I can see the ground on my screen and I can see roads trees and mountains, it looks like real life with the ground slightly lit up by the full moon and because of the glowing moon the stars are not shown, aswell as some light on the ground. (I see some stars too, a few of them but I see some of them aswell and clouds too)

For the MiG-21Bis maybe the devs didn't updated the light on it, I don't know tbh.

Edited by Loukuins

My Setup : i5-4690 3.50GHz + 24GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz + MSI RTX 2060 Super Ventus OC + 2 SSD + 4 HDD + Oculus Rift CV1 + TM T.16000M Hotas

vor 44 Minuten schrieb Loukuins:

I don't see near darkness I can see the ground on my screen and I can see roads trees and mountains, it looks like real life with the ground slightly lit up by the full moon and because of the glowing moon the stars are not shown, aswell as some light on the ground. (I see some stars too, a few of them but I see some of them aswell and clouds too)

I dont think it should be this dark when the moon is so bright you cant see stars. 

Now I dont know how it looks on your OLED screen, and whats your brightness is (have you vesa 400/600 HDR actived?), but on an LCD it doesnt look normal at all. And the majority of people uses LCDs, so I doubt thats intentional. 

vor 44 Minuten schrieb Loukuins:

For the MiG-21Bis maybe the devs didn't updated the light on it, I don't know tbh.

Why are you trying to downplay my point then, when you dont know? Its not about "far away lights" or whatever.

1 hour ago, Temetre said:

I dont think it should be this dark when the moon is so bright you cant see stars. 

Now I dont know how it looks on your OLED screen, and whats your brightness is (have you vesa 400/600 HDR actived?), but on an LCD it doesnt look normal at all. And the majority of people uses LCDs, so I doubt thats intentional. 

Why are you trying to downplay my point then, when you dont know? Its not about "far away lights" or whatever.

The moon doesn't lit up much, it's meant to be subtle, on my oled screen it's very dimmed but I can see it thanks to the infinite contrast of the monitor.

And I'm not saying anything about your point just maybe it's an issue on the 21Bis because they didn't updated it in a while and they are working on a overall of the module AFAIK ^^' 

vor 32 Minuten schrieb Loukuins:

The moon doesn't lit up much, it's meant to be subtle, on my oled screen it's very dimmed but I can see it thanks to the infinite contrast of the monitor.

Tbf it might be even darker when you remove the jpeg compression, that tends to lighten up super dark places. I dont think it looks normal tho.

vor 32 Minuten schrieb Loukuins:

And I'm not saying anything about your point just maybe it's an issue on the 21Bis because they didn't updated it in a while and they are working on a overall of the module AFAIK ^^' 

I mean if thats what you ment sure, but its not the only plane I experienced it in^^

Just tested it with F-16, still lighting bug. Wouldve been surprised if it the plane. I think its the map, some weather stuff or a buggy generated map.

Edited by Temetre