Newbie query regarding button assignments-sorry if this has been asked before!

Hi folks, 

As above sorry if this , and it probably will have, been asked before.

First a little background I have been using PCs and gaming consoles for years the first sims we had when we were young was Falcon 3 and the apache sim for the Atari St then life got in the way and I eventually ended up with a PS4 and PS5 and, well lets just say I've never been totally impressed with combat sims using game controllers then i discovered DCS and having by brothers gaming laptop which i inherited a couple of years ago thought I'd give it a go.

So first i thought I'd try with keyboard and mouse, not so good. Then went out and bought a Thrustmaster T.16000m set up no pedals yet.

So my question is can you designate a single button as a toggle , the sort of thing I'm thinking is say engine on/off for example.

I notice when i allocate a button say joy_6 under that is Joy_6 (off) or is that only for systems with physical toggle switches?

Many thanks

Susanna

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Delanie said:

So my question is can you designate a single button as a toggle , the sort of thing I'm thinking is say engine on/off for example.

It depends on the control alternatives that the aircraft developers have provided .. which specific aircraft are you using?

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

well the one i did try was the Left engine on and configured the button off as a combo thinking it would act as a toggle ,

OK Don't laugh but I spent the rest of the night getting really fed up with my SU25T firstly pulling to the left on the runway the auguring in to the left shortly after take-off, yes I'm an idiot because after almost giving up i found that i was trying to fly with only the right engine.

It seemed the combo turned the engine on alright i saw the start up light which went off shortly after and i didn't think to check the actual gauges until the next night.

Any how this got me thinking about these 'off' buttons and if they could be used for anything

but hey i'm learning I think

19 minutes ago, Delanie said:

Any how this got me thinking about these 'off' buttons and if they could be used for anything

I checked the Su-25T and I don't see any Off alternative for the controls, perhaps its something specific of your Hotas.

19 minutes ago, Delanie said:

but hey i'm learning I think

I learned the 25T following these tutorials, they are old but they are still valid, teach the subjects in a logical order and the instructor's way of explining is very good:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

thanks guys perhaps when i get home next weekend i'll screen shot it and show you i suspect you may be right about it being specific to my controls
The FC3 modules are very different and simplified compared to full fidelity modules. Especially in the controls/keybinds department.
I don't thing there are many toggles or on/else off options.
I do believe you can trick it somewhat though.
In the Su-25T, don't remember from the top of my head which keybind is left/right/both.
Engine start is RAlt/RShft/RCtrl + Home.
Engine stop is RAlt/RShft/RCtrl + End.
Which HOTAS/Control panel do you have, because if you do have an on/off or on/on switch, you can configure it to trigger the engines on, when you flick it on, and off when you flick it off, or to the other position.
Is this what you're asking? Or are you talking about a toggle for a momentary button?

Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk