F/A-18 at home build project :)

MaxLikesPlanes

Hello everyone,

I am trying to build a full replica 3D printed F/A-18 cockpit out of wood and parts online. I was looking for some help as I don't know what I need to build it. If someone who does have a good F/A-18 setup could tell me what they used. I am going off the one by the user @Jself. Thanks

Here is a picture of his one:

IMG_1046.jpg

Edited by MaxLikesPlanes
  • Like 1

Mate you are probably going to have to search threads, it’s pretty vague saying wood and parts.

Apart from a drill and jigsaw, the most technical tool I had was a scroll saw for cutting panels out of plastic sheets from the diy store (Perspex).

You can get some idea of the size a couple of ways, download the Natops, it won’t be posted on here due to legal reasons, but you can find it. In there are scaled panels, you can print the at 119% or something and it’s ptretty close.

I then printed them 3 times and used them as a template to cut out Perspex and drill, then dressed one up in PowerPoint or 3d draw and glued that to the Perspex for a panel, not very technical but I don’t have a CNC.

Then design the wood to suit your panels.

There are threads to teach you to use Arduino Code to wire every switch, or you can use arcade controllers like Leobodnar, how to make a panel sticky  by tiger shark will show you that way.

Easiest front panel is a 28” second monitor, Helios (Search) and cougar mfd or a touch screen if you can afford it.

Hope that helps, but search will give you tidbits, if you want plans, maybe lookup the Viperpit, I know it’s not F18 but is a nice platform for a wood pit imo. You could just stick f18 panels on it.

One last tip, some of the switches you may never need to use, they operate to simulate start up but do nothing, eg. fire warning test? So if it’s your first and you are not trying to make a study sim pit, just model the ones you want.

You can also integrate a keyboard into the pit, especially some of the smaller USB ones.

If you are wanting to make one like in the picture out of wood, you are probably going to need to be a master craftsman, most of that stuff is either bought from winwing or others, or 3d printed or laser/cnc types

I've spent a month going back and forth with openhornet.com, the site is nice to look at but I haven't really found anything very helpful.  I suppose the main problem is that I'm not an expert in Fusion360.  Maybe having the obj file for the framework on the github would help, as those are what I spent a week fighting with Fusion360 to figure out how to select what piece I wanted and convert to .obj so I could then turn it into something Lightburn could use via conversion in Tinkercad.  Seriosly, it's been a pita...

This is where i'm at.  Due to frustration, I just took one of the '"rib" pieces and made a template to copy/cut for all of them so far.  The panels I made with my CO2 laser out of cast acrylic, 3x - 3mm layers of Black & translucent White.

20230514_172947.jpg

20230519_174012.jpg

Edited by MrTonySoprano
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...