Radar refactoring progress?

falcon_120

• 2 weeks later...

Id be curious as well. After seeing the F-15Es radar from RAZBAM, I really hope they gonna do a work-over of the A2G radar, which is very barebones currently and seems to lacks important functionality. From what I understand, the Hornet radar should have very similar capabilities to the Strike Eagle. Maybe not quite the same resolution and range, but enough to identify vehicle types by radar. Seen anecdotes from Desert Storm of Hornets doing that.

Edited by Temetre
  • Like 2

ED had the following to say in their Newsletter from January 13th, 2023: "Radar Update. In parallel with refactoring the Flight Model and FCS, a refactoring of the Hornet radar is well underway. Key elements to address are improving the look-down, PRF, scan azimuth and more in order to offer improved detection and target tracking simulation."

So, ED said it is "well underway." Then again, ED went completely radio silent on this topic. Same goes for the promised white paper regarding radar performance. I would also like to hear where we currently stand with the progress made on the radar. Any official statement on this? Any news to share would be very much appreciated...

Thank you.

Link to said Newsletter January 13th, 2023:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I would be happy enough with a newsletter chapter explaining which are the main items being refactored and how ambitious is ED on this. What things like scan azimuth means in this context, what was wrong about that (:/?)

What about probabilities of detection, detecting chaff, behavior of prf other than different baked in detection ranges, introduction to basic RCS changes depending on aspect...

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

• Like 2

Am 29.5.2023 um 21:36 schrieb Tango3B:

ED had the following to say in their Newsletter from January 13th, 2023: "Radar Update. In parallel with refactoring the Flight Model and FCS, a refactoring of the Hornet radar is well underway. Key elements to address are improving the look-down, PRF, scan azimuth and more in order to offer improved detection and target tracking simulation."

So, ED said it is "well underway." Then again, ED went completely radio silent on this topic. Same goes for the promised white paper regarding radar performance. I would also like to hear where we currently stand with the progress made on the radar. Any official statement on this? Any news to share would be very much appreciated...

Thank you.

Link to said Newsletter January 13th, 2023:

So no comment an A2G radar, or even terrain avoidance functions? 

That makes me a bit concerned. Both Hornet and Viper are missing a bunch of really basic features, and theres no mention anywhere. I made a post asking about stuff like stores-damage through g-forces elsewhere, which is a pretty elementary thing for the F-16, besides the general damage model.

Edited by Temetre
  • Like 1

• ED Team
6 hours ago, opps said:

Typical ED's movement. ED announce something, then go completely radio silence for monthes or years. Thread like this will be ignored or closed.

When we have something new to share, we will. In the meantime, the team is actively working on this. We go quiet when we are busy working on these things, and as soon as there is something to share you all will be the first to know. This thread is neither ignored nor closed. Thanks. 

• Like 3

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Thanks Nineline, I'm sure the team is busy and appreciate the feedback, if I may ask for something, for me part of the fun is also reading about what has been developed, kind of a white paper style as the team did for the Amraam refactoring some years ago. I really enjoyed that as much as just receiving the patch with the changes. If you have the opportunity please let the team know some of us would love something like this.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NineLine said:

When we have something new to share, we will. In the meantime, the team is actively working on this. We go quiet when we are busy working on these things, and as soon as there is something to share you all will be the first to know. This thread is neither ignored nor closed. Thanks. 

First of all thank you for your reply 9L, I really appreciate it. The slightly negative undertone of the previous speaker aside, I think many of us here in the community have really been patient beyond measure with regard to this very topic - with all due respect. The whole number has been dragging on for an entire year now, please don't forget that. I personally totally understand that certain things take a lot of development time, at the end of the day you want the result to be right. I totally get that. But... a brief intermediate status of things must be. I think it's totally understandable if some in the community are starting to get a little restless as this not only affects the F/A-18, but also the Viper. And we don't want to fool ourselves, please. On your credit side there is currently not much progress to be seen in this regard. Still, I think many of us are keenly interested in this very topic. And rightfully so. So please just think about what you could present to the general public in the near future as a kind of "update teaser"... you just can't come along without it at this point. We've heard long enough about promises and postponements. Now it's up to you to simply deliver.

And please guys don't derail this thread. Just leave these words as they are. No small wars please, everything else has been said on the subject, I think.

Thank you, good luck and all the best to the team.

• Like 7

• ED Team
On 5/31/2023 at 12:52 PM, Tango3B said:

First of all thank you for your reply 9L, I really appreciate it. The slightly negative undertone of the previous speaker aside, I think many of us here in the community have really been patient beyond measure with regard to this very topic - with all due respect. The whole number has been dragging on for an entire year now, please don't forget that. I personally totally understand that certain things take a lot of development time, at the end of the day you want the result to be right. I totally get that. But... a brief intermediate status of things must be. I think it's totally understandable if some in the community are starting to get a little restless as this not only affects the F/A-18, but also the Viper. And we don't want to fool ourselves, please. On your credit side there is currently not much progress to be seen in this regard. Still, I think many of us are keenly interested in this very topic. And rightfully so. So please just think about what you could present to the general public in the near future as a kind of "update teaser"... you just can't come along without it at this point. We've heard long enough about promises and postponements. Now it's up to you to simply deliver.

And please guys don't derail this thread. Just leave these words as they are. No small wars please, everything else has been said on the subject, I think.

Thank you, good luck and all the best to the team.

I totally understand and appreciate the absolute patience you have all have shown. I understand the frustration in the development times and wish I could convey the care and work the team is putting into this. You should see an update of info on this soon, I hope that will help tide you over. 

And again, I cannot stress enough how much we on the team appreciate your continued support and patience. 

Thanks

• Like 3

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

@BIGNEWY the news says that HPRF can detect closing target only, but that's not quite correct (detection performance for tail aspects will be less than MPRF) - could we get a little clarification? 🙂

• Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

3 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Please see todays news for an update 

Many thanks for todays update. You did a really good job, that's exactly what I meant with a brief update on your development work. I think the update was at exactly the right time. 👍

I also really hope the mention of bars & azimuth affecting detection range is just a weird way of saying that increasing your scan volume will reduce the frequency of hits, thus reducing chance to detect based on %Pd. Hopefully its not another arbitrary penalty like it is currently for look down.

• Like 2

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

• ED Team
45 minutes ago, MARLAN_ said:

I also really hope the mention of bars & azimuth affecting detection range is just a weird way of saying that increasing your scan volume will reduce the frequency of hits, thus reducing chance to detect based on %Pd. Hopefully its not another arbitrary penalty like it is currently for look down.

Ill see if I can get an answer, it's also possible the white paper will hit before the release and help some, either way I will see if we can get some clarification.

• Like 3

64Sig.png

1 hour ago, NineLine said:

Ill see if I can get an answer, it's also possible the white paper will hit before the release and help some, either way I will see if we can get some clarification.

Thank you for looking into this, appreciate it.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

3 hours ago, NineLine said:

Will the new radar update feature ground clutter (false returns) when flying at low altitude in both F/A-18 and F-16 radars like seen in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VseTWC_jSE0&t=251s  already timestamped.

• Like 3

Will the new radar update feature ground clutter (false returns) when flying at low altitude in both F/A-18 and F-16 radars like seen in this video? 
  already timestamped.
That would be nice, it would open up so many tactical considerations for low level flying, I think the mirage 2000 from Razbam already simulates this which is neat.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, falcon_120 said:

That would be nice, it would open up so many tactical considerations for low level flying, I think the mirage 2000 from Razbam already simulates this which is neat.

It does.

The Tomcat also does in pulse-doppler modes, particularly amongst mountains and hilly terrain (as a result of the notch filter being disabled above 3°).

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

6 hours ago, NineLine said:

I'm waiting for whitepaper even more than actual release of improvements. I genuinely hope that it will clarify many things about radars in DCS.

• Like 1

Верните короновирус в качестве главной проблемы, спать в маске буду, обещаю.

Скрытый текст

Hardware: AMD 5900x, 64Gb RAM@3200MHz, NVidia RTX3070 8Gb, Monitor 3440x1440(21:9), Samsung 980pro 1Tb NVMe SSD, VKB Gunfighter+MCGU, Virpil Throttle CM3, VKB T-Rudder, TrackIR.

On 6/2/2023 at 11:40 PM, NineLine said:

Just read the white paper (on the Hornet radar... Absolutely BRILLIANT work, fellas! The entire ED team should be beyond proud! Thanks for keeping the users in the loop regarding the complexity, care, and time being put in to these modules. 👍

White paper link: 

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/upload/medialibrary/751/420tvzzkl8vyxzukcdzamjf7gcrhwzmo/Eagle_Dynamics_Radar_White_Paper_v1.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1nYO05GSHwH0v8qkIaqklwi4ejWqt-bfAAgMNRkEyZXhuGswaDxt4yNN0

Edited by wilbur81
  • Like 1

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

I had some flight tests yesterday, detection rangesin HI prf for the hornet are definetely better than before the patch. Also tried some high to low scenario (Hornet angels 26, hot f16 coming at 500ft AGL, and i had no problem picking him up on radar on HI PRF and VS mode a bit further than 40nm I think.

VS mode is particulary good at picking hot very fast target, you get good hits over 50nm for fighter size targets, which is great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1