Mosquito FB VI - radio altimeter light (during WWII)

Came across an interesting video (seen by most, I guess) on a Mosquito being restored over time, link here:

Between 39:23 to 39:49, Tom Burdge, WWII Mosquito Pilot - 248 Squadron, talks about the radio altimeter being set at various heights. The lowest being 35 feet. Below 35 feet, a red light showed. Between 35 and 50 feet, a green light showed. Above 50 feet, a yellow light showed.

Would be nice to have this feature (light) added to the other outstanding features. 

The radio altimeter system was called the Type AYD\AYF and was fitted mostly ( but not excusively ) to aircraft operated by Coastal Command, including the Mossie.

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

23 hours ago, razo+r said:

Hmm, where do you want to put these lights if we don't even have a radio altimeter? 

In the spirit of Mosquito ergonomics I suppose these lights were installed under the seat.

🤪

21 hours ago, Extranajero said:

The radio altimeter system was called the Type AYD\AYF and was fitted mostly ( but not excusively ) to aircraft operated by Coastal Command, including the Mossie.

I’d love to have that. Cool addition that will happen right after we get the Very pistol implemented…

• Like 3

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

1 hour ago, Bozon said:

In the spirit of Mosquito ergonomics I suppose these lights were installed under the seat.

🤪

I’d love to have that. Cool addition that will happen right after we get the Very pistol implemented…

Very probably.
The AYD\AYF was an American system, so it probably originally had a built in toaster oven, trouser press and coffee maker, in a tasteful chrome housing. The Air Ministry probably muttered " Bloody Yanks " and ordered it with three lightbulbs instead and stuck them where the pilot couldn't see them, or made sure they were either too dim to see, or as bright as the sun and couldn't be dimmed.

• Like 2

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe