Renewal Plans for F/A-18C External Model

Aqil Huseynov

Is there a plan to update the external model of the F/A-18C? The current external model of the F/A-18C was created using old methods. With the new technologies like LIDAR, it would be possible to create a more accurate model relatively quickly.I'm wondering if ED  has any plans for this.

DN-SC-92-06277.jpeg

Edited by Aqil Huseynov
  • Like 1

• Aqil Huseynov changed the title to Renewal Plans for F/A-18C External Model

I seriously doubt it.

What's wrong with the current model?

• Like 2

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

2 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

I seriously doubt it.

What's wrong with the current model?

The current model is unfortunately very old and looks bad. If we compare it with other newly released modules, normal map or uv map is very bad.

I think it wouldn't be too hard to remodel the F/A-18C with LIDAR like Heatblur did.

Livery creators can produce better textures as much as they can, but the plane's normal map or uv map cannot be changed. 

because they require fine details. As we know, you cannot transfer ED models to any program like substance painter. Even if we transfer it, we cannot improve the poly number of the plane.

Edited by Aqil Huseynov

Laser scanning makes the module more accurate, not look better. 

Wouldnt mind some of the texture get improved, I guess? Some outside bits look a bit flat if you zoom in. Cant really think of a bitg issue tho.

2 minutes ago, Temetre said:

Laser scanning makes the module more accurate, not look better. 

Wouldnt mind some of the texture get improved, I guess? Some outside bits look a bit flat if you zoom in. Cant really think of a bitg issue tho.

I have updated the article, I recommend you to read it again.

I would assume the 10+ year old Models will be replaced first..

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

12 hours ago, Aqil Huseynov said:

The current model is unfortunately very old and looks bad.

That's not a very good reason to update it. The 3d team moved to bigger and better things, and a completely new model can be expected only as a part of a paid update, which is not due anytime soon.

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Aqil Huseynov:

I have updated the article, I recommend you to read it again.

Yeah, what you say about UV/normal maps is probably connected to the flatness of some textures I mentioned.

Edited by Temetre
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

+1 here 

The Hornet needs some 3D love. 

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

1 minute ago, lee1hy said:

If update new 3d 

Whole liveries re work agian 

Hell.of nightmare........

Indeed.

Although i´m not a liverie creator i edit my liveries to my own liking/standards and i have about +40GB in Hornet liveries (user files and some edited by me) and if someday the Hornet gets a 3D update i´m aware that all my liveries are gone and i´ll start over... 

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

A biased defense of the module because I'm a sucker for this plane since forever ago 😄, despite agreeing with a lot of points:

Although new 3D models up to date to the current techs and poly counts are always nice, especially the 3D gap near the nose of the hornet looking from the cockpit (I'll upload a picture soon) is ALWAYS nice to have, it is much likely for ED to prioritize other 3D models rightfully so. Also, new modules under construction are a point to consider.

Munitions models have inaccuracies although new stuff are coming with the fuses updates. Some munition models are VERY old, example of the Mk-20 cluster bombs. GBU-12s are showing their age...etc.

Other AI plane models that are not involved in future 3rd party products are also in much needed overhaul.

I'd wish all these ED modules to be laser scanned with a decent level of usage wear displayed on the fuselage just like the real plane it was scanned from and perhaps when the tech allows, different visible wear in a randomized fashion or fully procedural based on the usual places they would be displayed on real planes. Recent photographs from still operational 18Cs are amazing.

Likewise, majority of the default liveries are struggling a bit to keep up with the times but still a pleasing to the eyes model+textures while flying.

Personal livery recommendation (with dynamic numbers): VMFA(AW)-224 (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

Mandatory current (some have old pilot model) Hornet model eye candy:

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

• Like 1

The F-86, MiG-15, UH-1, Mi-8, L-39, F-5, MiG-21 and the FC3 birds would like a word 🙂

When it comes to textures, while they looked incredible in 2018 when the Hornet launched they do indeed look a bit low-res and dated compared to more recent modules. That is the natural way of things: graphics improve over time.
I'm sure the Hornet will get some love later on but I'd like the other modules (which don't even support the graphics that were introduced in DCS in 2017 with v2.5) to go first.

There are some really high quality liveries available in the User Files. I recommend the work of "lee1hy", though sadly he doesn't have too many squadrons covered.

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

But, this post is not so ridiculous and makes  sense.

Hornet is used by many people, but ED has updated FC3. Hornet PSD is  very difficult to match colors with. not bad if it is bigger and improved like FC3

Edited by lee1hy
  • Like 2

creator of ED's official F-16C liveries (WP,OS, 132nd, 152nd, 174th)
AH-64D livery contest winner 😅
kim_123456#3214

My user files https://shorturl.at/cdKV5

FC3 Models and textures were also over 12 years old and Pre-PBR,

Hornet model is still rather current at 4 years sinces the last major template change and there have been more recent changes ( Aircraft Number Groups etc ).

There are dozens of old Flanker 2.5/LoMAC models that should have priority.

What exactly is wrong with the template? because I've produced over 100 Liveries for the public and private sqns, and havent had one issue,

But some older models (ie F-86F), have templates where the default rivets and panel lines don't even line up in their default unedited positions.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 1:26 PM, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

The F-86, MiG-15, UH-1, Mi-8, L-39, F-5, MiG-21 and the FC3 birds would like a word 🙂

When it comes to textures, while they looked incredible in 2018 when the Hornet launched they do indeed look a bit low-res and dated compared to more recent modules. That is the natural way of things: graphics improve over time.
I'm sure the Hornet will get some love later on but I'd like the other modules (which don't even support the graphics that were introduced in DCS in 2017 with v2.5) to go first.

There are some really high quality liveries available in the User Files. I recommend the work of "lee1hy", though sadly he doesn't have too many squadrons covered.

UH-1 and F-5E has a plan to update them, the same as the M3 Mig-21Bis.

• Like 1

3D work?  IDK.  Texture work?  Absolutely.  That is actually where a lot of the "3D" comes from, anyway, especially rivets and such.  There is a user made 4k version of the default VFA-37, and even in 1440p, it's so much better than default.  No change in model, obviously.

• Like 1