DCS: F/A-18C Flaming Sunrise Campaign by Sandman Simulations

On 5/20/2023 at 5:58 PM, Chicki said:

Oh cool.  I bought it too.  Couldn't resist.  Very interesting approach.  Gonna tax my strategic thinking.  How many missions you into it?

Into my 3rd so far.  Much to manage.  Good so far.  Also I like to support the 3d party developers.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Hi, 

I bought this campaign, but it's not showing up in my campaign options. All other campaigns show up after I bought them. Weird. 

CRX-Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K;4090; Varjo Aero; Winwing UFC/HUD/MFDs/Throttle/PTO Panel/Combat Panel; Winwing F-18 joystick; Buttkickers; Monstertech flight seat; PointCTRL.

26 minutes ago, Slick Twitchy said:

Hi, 

I bought this campaign, but it's not showing up in my campaign options. All other campaigns show up after I bought them. Weird. 

Do you have Hornet, Persian Gulf and Supercarrier modules/maps installed?  And have you downloaded the campaign from the module manager yet?

Edited by rob10

Hi, 

Yes, I have all of those. I usually have an option from within the game to download the module. I will double check some stuff. Thanks for the reply.

Got it. I didn't have newest patch. Sheesh! My error.

Edited by Slick Twitchy

CRX-Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K;4090; Varjo Aero; Winwing UFC/HUD/MFDs/Throttle/PTO Panel/Combat Panel; Winwing F-18 joystick; Buttkickers; Monstertech flight seat; PointCTRL.

This has so much promise-for me it's a bit overwhelming-tasking your flights and then designating the target locations was a bit much for me. I wasn't ready to take notes. Would have been super cool if there was a drag and drop option (like on the F10 map) at the very beginning instead of using the comms menu within the game (like the old Rainbow 6 games).

I have to admit I learned a lot-and needed to back out and research some of the vocabulary used. And Bullseye directions has always messed me up from within the game (again I know I should have this stuff down).

The computer generated voices were a little distracting, but sufficed. I think some of the new AI programs out there generate more realistic voices now. 

Still fun, just a bit too advanced for me right now, but well worth the money.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2023 at 9:09 PM, Slick Twitchy said:

This has so much promise-for me it's a bit overwhelming-tasking your flights and then designating the target locations was a bit much for me. I wasn't ready to take notes. Would have been super cool if there was a drag and drop option (like on the F10 map) at the very beginning instead of using the comms menu within the game (like the old Rainbow 6 games).

I have to admit I learned a lot-and needed to back out and research some of the vocabulary used. And Bullseye directions has always messed me up from within the game (again I know I should have this stuff down).

The computer generated voices were a little distracting, but sufficed. I think some of the new AI programs out there generate more realistic voices now. 

Still fun, just a bit too advanced for me right now, but well worth the money.

Hornets systems and adding waypoints / targets / coords with realistic terminology can be quit overwhelming at first, but as forced myself some time ago to just use em, now it comes pretty much from "muscle memory" (pretty much same way as many other things in dcs too). Me myself should really use more markpoint system of hornet, I know ~about how it works, but just havent used it, as much as I should. But yeah, that "write down stuff" is something that seems first "omg"-like (for me at least it did) but nowdays, even when not given coords, I many times use waypoints of my own with F/A-18C. Afterall the usage of the waypoint system of hornet is kinda practical / easy to use compared to many other planes, as one can do it on display + ufc, instead of ufc / digital panels only. But still, yes, I know that feeling. Just bought this campaing, and flied first mission, and I really liked it. No weirdomobs so far at the mission itself, but lets see what happens when I get to designing. Lookin now tutorials at background. BTW any clue anyone is there pdf or some "official" tutorial / manual for the Flaming Sunrise campaing?

Edited by Wiggo

On 6/16/2023 at 6:07 AM, Wiggo said:

Hornets systems and adding waypoints / targets / coords with realistic terminology can be quit overwhelming at first, but as forced myself some time ago to just use em, now it comes pretty much from "muscle memory" (pretty much same way as many other things in dcs too). Me myself should really use more markpoint system of hornet, I know ~about how it works, but just havent used it, as much as I should. But yeah, that "write down stuff" is something that seems first "omg"-like (for me at least it did) but nowdays, even when not given coords, I many times use waypoints of my own with F/A-18C. Afterall the usage of the waypoint system of hornet is kinda practical / easy to use compared to many other planes, as one can do it on display + ufc, instead of ufc / digital panels only. But still, yes, I know that feeling. Just bought this campaing, and flied first mission, and I really liked it. No weirdomobs so far at the mission itself, but lets see what happens when I get to designing. Lookin now tutorials at background. BTW any clue anyone is there pdf or some "official" tutorial / manual for the Flaming Sunrise campaing?

Hi,

Sorry I had totally missed this topic. There is pdf manual included and should be found behind path Program files/Eagle Dynamics/DCS World (or DCS World OpenBeta)/Mods/campaigns/FA-18C Flaming Sunrise/Doc. 

Thanks for the great campaign, I have enjoyded it a lot so far. Some questions, currently my Air superiority level is 90%-100% and Enemy Air defence level 50%-60%. I decided to fly SEAD mission to Bandar-E-Jask AFB to take out that SA-10 but there was no SAM at all. I assume that friendly forces have captured Bandar-E-Jask AFB? So even if Air defence chart shows there is SA-10 in Bandar-E-Jask, it's not there because my Air superiority level is so high (in other words Bandar-E-Jask is inactive)? Is it now possible to get Air defence level to 10%-20% at all?

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

39 minutes ago, coldViPer said:

Thanks for the great campaign, I have enjoyded it a lot so far. Some questions, currently my Air superiority level is 90%-100% and Enemy Air defence level 50%-60%. I decided to fly SEAD mission to Bandar-E-Jask AFB to take out that SA-10 but there was no SAM at all. I assume that friendly forces have captured Bandar-E-Jask AFB? So even if Air defence chart shows there is SA-10 in Bandar-E-Jask, it's not there because my Air superiority level is so high (in other words Bandar-E-Jask is inactive)? Is it now possible to get Air defence level to 10%-20% at all?

Hi,

Thank you for your message and nice to hear you have enjoyed the campaign.

With Enemy Air Defense Level 50-60% there should be SA-10 and also SA-6 at Bandar-e-Jask. I'll check if I can find reason why it wasn't there. If you can please count how many dynamic missions you have played after the first non-dynamic mission and what was name of that mission.

One reason can be the way the Air Defense Level is calculated also during the mission. If your side has destroyed some other SAM site before approaching SA-10 at Jask, Air Defense Level might have been dropped just enough so that site is not anymore active but still not enough to lower the level for the next mission. This is not optimal way but decided to do the calculation like that to avoid some other problems. There might be some better ways it could be done but it would need the whole calcultion process to be rescripted. Maybe some day...

Spoiler

Even if you destroy that last SA-10, Enemy Air Defense Level would still be 40-50%. Then there are only Rapiers and some SA-6s left and it is hard to get the level to 10-20% or lower. You need to destroy many of those sites in the same mission to lower the level.

Much easier way is to attack against enemy strategic targets in Bandar Abbas having effect on Air Defense Level, enemy ground war capability and Air Superiority level simultaneously.

22 minutes ago, Sandman Simulations said:

Hi,

Thank you for your message and nice to hear you have enjoyed the campaign.

With Enemy Air Defense Level 50-60% there should be SA-10 and also SA-6 at Bandar-e-Jask. I'll check if I can find reason why it wasn't there. If you can please count how many dynamic missions you have played after the first non-dynamic mission and what was name of that mission.

One reason can be the way the Air Defense Level is calculated also during the mission. If your side has destroyed some other SAM site before approaching SA-10 at Jask, Air Defense Level might have been dropped just enough so that site is not anymore active but still not enough to lower the level for the next mission. This is not optimal way but decided to do the calculation like that to avoid some other problems. There might be some better ways it could be done but it would need the whole calcultion process to be rescripted. Maybe some day...

Reveal hidden contents

Even if you destroy that last SA-10, Enemy Air Defense Level would still be 40-50%. Then there are only Rapiers and some SA-6s left and it is hard to get the level to 10-20% or lower. You need to destroy many of those sites in the same mission to lower the level.

Much easier way is to attack against enemy strategic targets in Bandar Abbas having effect on Air Defense Level, enemy ground war capability and Air Superiority level simultaneously.

Actually it was Air defence 60%-70% and Air superiority 90%-100%. It was 10th mission Landing atBandar Abbas.

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

Yes, I killed SA10 in the Bandar Lengeh and AI killed SA6 in the same place, dont remember what mission number it was, maybe 5 or 6.

Ah, yes in that mission Devil-2 made SEAD in area Bravo and killed SA-6. 

39 minutes ago, coldViPer said:

Ah, yes in that mission Devil-2 made SEAD in area Bravo and killed SA-6. 

I'm then pretty sure that it explains why SA-10 wasn't active anymore. 

I need to do something for the calculation so that killing another SAM won't have effect during current mission and so won't prevent other one from activating if it should be there. 

Yeah that makes sense, thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2023 at 9:47 AM, Sandman Simulations said:

I'm then pretty sure that it explains why SA-10 wasn't active anymore. 

I need to do something for the calculation so that killing another SAM won't have effect during current mission and so won't prevent other one from activating if it should be there. 

I just ran into this as well. But mine was air defense 80-90%. I believe I've ran into it twice. Once when I was trying to take out the SA-10 at Bander Lengeh. SA-10 was active, told wingman to attack air defense. He turned around to go kill the Rapiers for some reason. Launched my HARMs with TALDs before hand. Wingman killed the Rapiers and the SA-10 just like disappeared. 2nd time told a group to go SEAD Bravo hoping they'd attack the SA-10 or SA-6. No they attacked the Rapiers again. Went all the way to Bander-e-jask to find no SA-10.

Edited by Diablo 1-1

52 minutes ago, Diablo 1-1 said:

I just ran into this as well. But mine was air defense 80-90%. I believe I've ran into it twice. Once when I was trying to take out the SA-10 at Bander Lengeh. SA-10 was active, told wingman to attack air defense. He turned around to go kill the Rapiers for some reason. Launched my HARMs with TALDs before hand. Wingman killed the Rapiers and the SA-10 just like disappeared. 2nd time told a group to go SEAD Bravo hoping they'd attack the SA-10 or SA-6. No they attacked the Rapiers again. Went all the way to Bander-e-jask to find no SA-10.

Hi,

Thank you for your message. If SA-10 has already spawned (someone of good guys has flown close enough and AD-level is right) it shouldn't dissappear by killing Rapiers. But it may not spawn at all if Rapiers have been killed before.

That behavior is not ment to be like that and I have found the problem. I have already sent patch to ED and it should be out in next Open Beta update.

"Spoiler Alert". 

Thought I give littlebit of feedback of the Flaming Sunrise campaing!

Have now played the campaing two times, and gotta say this is maby the most actioned campaing that I have played among SP. Dynamic system in here hase come far from Operation Pontus, and also the design of the map / missions emselves. For fist timers I really recommend to just fly A/A and buzz around the Iranian bases to get em coming for you suicidal, and just drop em. Get air superiority first. You will get it pretty fast. After that one can do OCA and Strategy strikes without Iranian airforce buzzing and complicating things.  Same time at beginning i usually have "carefull sead" by AI (dont send em to die for nothing..), and Ship strikes seems to be effective at beginning also! I also kinda always had one cap and one cas over the Dubai itself, if I just could / mainly at least before the US Airforce gets there... (sry for spoiler) Ai seees to do some stupid things time to time, but thats not campaings fault. And sometimes the f10 settings at beginning bug weirdly (so rare that it has not really bothered me-> just reset mission and try again) so that i put like "devil 4 cas to area india" "devil 4 area set to echo" (sometimes it just puts the area in wrong, dunno why, but as said this is rare and i bet it is not also about the campaing, think its just DCS / dynamic engine doing new stuff, understandable). But yeah. I really liked the action in this. In beginning one really needs to think what to do, and gets even pretty fast multirole and a/a action. It was so fun that immediatly I wanted to restart the campaing after playing trough. Now it is fun to try how Multirole I can get / can I do it without first getting overpower in air, like I solved stuff at first time. Very nice. Keep these coming! (And yes it is good that one does not need to put weapons to devils 2->5. That would ofc be cool someday also, but in SP it would just be too much to be fun.) In here the "glunkyness" of other dynamic campaings was pretty much fixed better. This is just good amount of stuff for one mission, for one player. In other dynamic campaings it has been to boring to pick weapons for every group etc etc. In Flaming Sunrise it is just normal mission editing / put waypoints to what you are doing / targets -> choose what others do -> go. And big part of that is the ready to go strike devils 2->5 strike /cap flights. Nice job! (btw: I would love some more radio "chatter" (no, i dont want that "maby we grab a bear after this" top gun mambojambo as we see in many other campaings.. ), but maby just some recorded mission radio sounds background, just for kicks.. Like in many other campaings. ) The use of radios itself was here pretty nice, as there was not too much triggers etc. But the radiosounds were littlebit, well, boring. Thats only improvement that I would like to see (hear 🙂 ) Still. This was really worth the money!

Edited by Wiggo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1