Canopy reflexes - Poll

303_Kermit

Canopy reflexes in [MP] - Poll.   

94 members have voted

1. 1. Old problem - Canopy reflexes you love it or hate it?

• I love dirty canopy and reflexes. It shall stay as it is
    • I hate it - I would love to have an option to turn it off for MP, but I can live with it.
    • I can't see a shxxx't in some specific cases. Why you do these to me?! I literally fly every mission with my canopy blown off, just to see something. I would love to have an option to turn it off for MP. I want my canopy clean

Imho it wasn’t a good idea to put glare/reflexes and dirt in one basket. Those are fundamentally different things.

It must be done right, but without glare, the environment wouldn’t feel alive. I don‘t mind scratches in the canopy also but they are often way to regular and repetitive patterns.

I could live without dirt though.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

11 hours ago, SMH said:

Glare on glass is realistic. It's a factor in fighting. I absolutely want it in our sim! 🙂 

Realistic?! In my opinion having sun behind my back should be an advantage. In DCS it is disadvantage because I can't see $%&§ in front of me.

couldn't find the right option to answer: love them, but would still vote for this feature to be an option. in other words:

i think reflections and dirt are essential to an immersive look & feel, but should be improved.

On 5/21/2023 at 11:14 PM, SMH said:

Glare on glass is realistic. It's a factor in fighting. I absolutely want it in our sim! 🙂 

Yes, but there is no glare in our planes (except of MiG-21 which is really beautifully made - there is a glare. In other cases - Spitfire, L-39, Bf-109, FW-190, MiG-15, F-86 there's hideous white-ish bitmap and the sunlight goes through pilot body on the other side of canopy.

On 5/21/2023 at 11:23 PM, SMH said:

My problem with that shot is there's a clear "dent" in the UV mapping on the glass that needs to be fixed. Quite a few canopies have issues like this now, particularly around the canopy bow. Also not convinced the angle of the sun glint is correct given the position of the sun. But there should be glint somewhere. 🙂 

Pilot body is for the light transparent - that's the source of main "light" aberration. Incidence angle always equals reflection angle. Most cockpit "Glare" in DCS has no explanation - Most of "pseudo" glare shall be covered by pilots body.

Sun reflection:
Odbicie i załamanie
First three rays goes through - windshield is transparent. Ray 4-6 reflection. So we shall expect some light reflex on our right side if the sun is on ~11 o'clock. In no case one shall expect such behaviour when the sun is on 9 o'clock.

There is no glare and no sun reflex in cockpit. Only some aberration. What we have is not realistic and disturbes much more than a real glare and sun reflection in real life.

And a glare looks like that: - it appears on canopy when u observe a perimeter into direction of the sun - not the opposite as it is in DCS

image.jpeg
there's no such thing in DCS. White milk bitmap has nothing in common neither with reflex nor with glare.Optic Zone Customization and Assessment Tips
Other example - Glare created (for example) by wet surface - again. Doesn't explain DCS aberration - white milk on the dark side of canopy.

Notice here P-51 Reflections of cockpit instrument. They're visible for pilot in second seat, but not for the pilot in front seat, (the reason is explained in 1-st picture). - As it is the case of DCS. (Reflections of cockpit instruments are static bitmap placed in wrong places - L39, MiG-15, MiG-21)
Screenshot-2023-05-23-000457.png

Edited by 303_Kermit
  • Like 1

Edge-of-Space-IV.jpg
Josh-Artu.jpg

Reflections in canopy glass exhist, but it's the execution and consistency of the effect that becomes important in the sim.
These vary from module to module, and sometimes it hurts the immersion more than it helps.

My opinion is that, starting with the first DCS 2.7 OB (about two years ago), the introduction of these new reflections was a step back on some modules, but on others it's fine.
It's the inconsistency in the execution that makes it quite negative on some modules.

I wouldn't say DCS 2.56 was perfect, but I'd say it was better in this aspect of reflections.
It wasn't a problem then on any module (that I can recall), and maybe it should have stayed that way.

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 3

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

• 4 weeks later...