ME - Crashes when copying and pasting units

Go to solution Solved by Flappie,

After the last update the game stops responding many times when trying to copy and past units (Mainly Aircraft).

Seam random at best. Sometimes i can copy a unit and sometimes i can't.

Was not a issue before "DCS 2.8.5.40170 Open Beta"

Can not see any relevant info in the LOG file but have included it.

Tried MT and regular DCS.

Tried Repair (Slow) and clenup. Also tried a fresh DCS profil folder. Does not help.

Changed back to version "2.8.4.39731" and it does not crash anymore when copy and pasting.

dcs.log

Edited by Kanelbolle
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Kanelbolle said:

After the last update the game stops responding many times when trying to copy and past units (Mainly Aircraft).

Seam random at best. Sometimes i can copy a unit and sometimes i can't.

Was not a issue before "DCS 2.8.5.40170 Open Beta"

Can not see any relevant info in the LOG file but have included it.

Tried MT and regular DCS.

Tried Repair (Slow) and clenup. Also tried a fresh DCS profil folder. Does not help.

Changed back to version "2.8.4.39731" and it does not crash anymore when copy and pasting.

Edit Update:
Only happens in mission i made before the update. If i start a new mission i can copy units without a crash.

dcs.log 48.02 kB · 1 download

was it warbirds you were copy and pasting by any chance?

I checked on a modern, cold war and WW2 mission. Its everything ground units included. 9 out of 10 attempts to copy & paste a group causes DCS to stop working with a blue circle. DCS simply stops responding.

Edited by Bossco82

7 hours ago, Auntystatic said:

was it warbirds you were copy and pasting by any chance?

No, was copying everything from a Huey to a F-16. No Warbirds.

But it works perfectly fine if i start a NEW fresh mission and place units. Then copy them. Seam to be only missions i had before the update. I will do some more testing later. There are a lot of units in my missions, so want to test with a old mission with less units, to see if its the amount of units that crash it.

Edited by Kanelbolle

what we are finding so far is once you reach the last call-sign like Pontiac 9-1 or Jedi 9-1 then no more can be created and it throws this error with a rotating hour glass, Russian units are not effected by this as they use a numbering call-sign system, but no one so far is having a problem with just older missions unless they have very large numbers of units and reach the group ID of 9

DEBUG   LuaGUI (Main): error, can not create new callsign, groupId > 9

Edited by Auntystatic
more info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Auntystatic said:

what we are finding so far is once you reach the last call-sign like Pontiac 9-1 or Jedi 9-1 then no more can be created and it throws this error with a rotating hour glass, Russian units are not effected by this as they use a numbering call-sign system, but no one so far is having a problem with just older missions unless they have very large numbers of units and reach the group ID of 9

DEBUG   LuaGUI (Main): error, can not create new callsign, groupId > 9

This makes sense since i have A LOT of Aircraft units in the mission. And every player group is just 1 aircraft since, DCS does not support Radio menus for each separate plane.

Just weird that it is not a problem in the previous OB builds.

I'll check this out on the mission I was having trouble with. Thanks for looking into this.

After checking mine still crashes and I checked the numbering. I have a set of Combined red aircraft, Mig-29, SU-27, J-11 and JF-17, they rotate. I had x16 single units, 1 of them is at the start and the other 15 are late activated. They are triggered when the unit before is destroyed. So destroy #2, #3 is activated. I wanted to add some units taking them up to x30. I tried to copy #16 a Mig-29S under Pontiac 2-1, instant hour glass and crash. This is in my modern mission.

I did the same edit to my Cold War mission before the update, I also expanded my WW2 mission last week which has lots of B-17's, a lot more units. Not a problem, no crashes. I hope this adds some more info to get the problem solved.

This problem is also effecting units of four set to "client". Its going to be a lot more work adding new modules to existing missions with this problem.

Edited by Bossco82

I have successfully reproduced it in a new fresh mission.

1. Started a Fresh Chaucasus mission.

2. Placed 1 Blue Aircraft on a Airfield (Tested in air to, same result).

3. Copy the aircraft, and past it until i get to Callsign Tusk 9 - 1. And it stops responding.

dcs_copy-past_crash_tusk-9-1.jpg

Have tried this several times now and gives the same result.
The game does not close or seam to give any reason in the log file. Just stops responding and you can click in on the DCS window and you get the option to Wait or Close by Windows.

I have included a test mission here that stops right before Tusk 9 - 1.
Just open it and copy 1 of the aircraft, and start to past it and DCS should crash.

I do not get this crash if i copy past RED aircraft.

test_copy_past.miz

Edited by Kanelbolle
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Auntystatic said:

I don't see anything in that except loads of mods, try removing them all and try it again, it could be one of them has stopped working after the update

I already tried that, I have a mission version with no mod aircraft, my DCS saved game folder had none installed either. The same problem still occurred. Exactly as Kanelbolle describes in the post above.

This is a log from a mission in Syria, no mods in the mission file or in my saved games folder, same thing. For me it is effecting units that are either combined red or blue. Mig-21's set to USSR in a Caucasus mission are not showing the problem.

dcs.log

Edited by Bossco82

BUG 

Using the copy/paste function on aircraft units in the Mission Editor when around 100 to 110 aircraft are in the mission causes a crash to desktop.

Placing aircraft normally does not cause a crash to desktop, only using the copy/paste function does.  Upon further testing, I found that placing aircraft normally can also cause the crash.

Tested across multiple mission files and even making brand new mission. Happens on both normal and multi-threading client.

No apparent errors in dcs.log.

HOW TO REPRODUCE 

Use the copy/paste function to create new aircraft in a mission with 100+ aircraft.

EXAMPLES

Existing mission: https://streamable.com/0ojgif

Brand new mission: https://streamable.com/vd97oj

Any more information or testing required please ask and I will be happy to assist.

Edited by tae.
  • Like 1

the waypoints have always moved when you copy and paste groups, they move by the distance from the copied group to the new groups spawn location, so say you copy a group at Kobuleti and paste it at Senaki the waypoints will move by the distance between the two and in the same direction

13 hours ago, Auntystatic said:

the waypoints have always moved when you copy and paste groups, they move by the distance from the copied group to the new groups spawn location, so say you copy a group at Kobuleti and paste it at Senaki the waypoints will move by the distance between the two and in the same direction

Hi, thank you. I know that. I am talking about copying stuff in the same place. It happened in Marianas. I tried Caucasus and was ok.

Same issue happening to me. I am trying to make a very large missions and now I cannot place any more blue groups because of the lack of options for callsigns.

LuaGUI (Main): error, can not create new callsign, groupId > 9

On an unrelated note (but not too much), it would be great to introduce custom callsigns to DCS, even without any text to speech in the radio callouts. Maybe this could also help with the issue?

Edited by ienatom