Lynchian blackness before sunrise

twistking

There surely is some poetic beauty in the night being the darkest before sunrise, but it would still be nice if that bug could get adressed eventually.

This bug exists for ages now: About an hour before sunrise and about an hour after sunset, the moon does not contribute neither to terrain lighting, nor to object lighting. It does however contribute to cloud lighting.
The effect is that both the landscape and vehicles are pitch black during that time, even if a full moon is up. It looks bad, it is obviously unrealistic and it limits moonlit night flying without NODs to only a specific timeslot.
The new clouds make the issue even more obvious, since the clouds are correctly lit and therefore only emphasize the strange and terrifying blackness of the incorrectly shaded world laying beneath...

ED, please fix!

Edited by twistking
  • Like 1

It's not a bug, it's a technical limitation. The present DCS engine can only handle one environment light, either the moon or the sun, which causes the issue you described.

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

2 hours ago, Flappie said:

It's not a bug, it's a technical limitation. The present DCS engine can only handle one environment light, either the moon or the sun, which causes the issue you described.

Not entirely convinced. It's a question of when to toggle the environment light. There is no need to have sun and moon as shadowcasting lights at the same time. Ambient light (not shadowcasting) could also be used to substitute either of the two environment lights.
There are many older titles that don't support multiple shadowcasting lights, that still pull off believable day/night transitions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Flappie said:

I did not describe an hypothesis, I simply summed up what devs told me when I once reported this issue.

I see. It just feels like a weak excuse: Many of the issues reported here could be considered "engine limitations" until they are remedied...

Well, i might make this an wishlist item then...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a wishlist entry. If you do care about DCS night ops, please visit the linked thread and give it 5 stars ("rate this topic" at the top right) to improve the chances of it getting the attention it deserves.

Edited by twistking