My bombs won't drop in the F-16C

Go to solution Solved by razo+r,

You're not an idiot. ED coded an arbitrary max mach of 0.9 for bomb release. It's much lower than the real carriage or employment limits -- and we know real world viper guys who loft their bombs on the mach for max WEZ -- But, alas, ED coded this limit in and it's something you need to be aware of when making an attack.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/

9 hours ago, StarWarsNinja500 said:

A lot of bombs (dumb bombs and LGBs) won't drop when I hold the pickle button. It says on the SMS page REL ANG 45 so I am guessing that's the release angle at 45° so I set it to 0 and even when level the bombs won't drop. Anyone know why? (I am probably just an idiot)

If you are using CCRP, the release parameters are very tight (IIRC +/-5 mil ) and the flight path marker needs to be on (or very close to) the azimuth steering line when the release cue reaches the FPM (otherwise the bomb(s) won't drop).

Release angle 45° gives you the cues for a "optional" 45° loft and instead of a single release cue, we now get a release "staple" and 2 cues that look a lot like the "in range" cue for dropping GPS guided JDAMs, etc. but that work differently (it's changed from the LGB and dumb bomb HUD illustrations in the official manual and Chuck's Guide).

• prior to line reaching FPM and top of staple - depress and hold weapon consent/release
• top of staple - FPM flashes --> time to start climbing (mil power, smooth 4G pullup) @ 45°, keeping the FPM on the azimuth steering line
(AFAIK actioning the climb is optional and the system will release the bomb(s) regardless - provided pickle button is held and FPM is kept on the ASL)
• once the system calculates the release will hit the target - bomb(s) auto release, FPM flashes a second time
(this may or may not be near the bottom of the staple - which is the release cue for level fight)

Wags Loft Video also applies  to CCRP LGBs, etc. weapons releases.

IIRC the release parameters for dropping LGBs, etc. used to be more permissive but ED received info that SOP was to use tighter release constraints (perhaps to avoid collateral damage, etc.).

In the DCS A-10C, we have the option to change release constraints i.e. to the 3-9 line - unfortunately we don't get that (menu?) in the F-16C.   

Edited by Ramsay
IIRC the CCRP release parameter is +/- 5 mil (NOT +/- 5°)

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

5 hours ago, Ramsay said:

In the DCS A-10C, we have the option to change release constraints i.e. to the 3-9 line - unfortunately we don't get that (menu?) in the F-16C.  

No, because the F-16 doesn't have such feature

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

• Solution
7 minutes ago, StarWarsNinja500 said:

Thanks this is helpful but it won't even work in CCIP. I will try dropping subsonic like TheBigTatanka said but is there any other potential problems for CCIP?

There are two CCIP modes in the F-16 and they depend on many factors which one will be used. The first one is in use if the impact marker is higher up than the actuall impact. So when you press the wpn release button, it will switch to CCRP and you have to hold the button until the counter goes to 0 and the bombs drop. The second one is the traditional CCIP, where the impact marker is the actual impact point of the bomb. When you press wpn release, the weapons are immediately released. 

However, the best idea is if you were to upload a short track of your issue so we can stop guessing what might be your mistake and can pinpoint it instead. 

• Like 1

Thanks this is helpful but it won't even work in CCIP. I will try dropping subsonic like TheBigTatanka said but is there any other potential problems for CCIP?
Not just subsonic, but below .9 Mach. I hope this gets looked at.

Let us know if it fixed your problem. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/