Mission 9 suicidal wingman

Mandellorian

Mission 9 mandatory tanking..irritating but that seems par for this campaign.

Watch my wingman start taking fuel, slide on in beside and start tanking as well.

Hear wingman state refuel complete and then watch in utter disbelief as he does a hard turn directly across the tail of the tanker directly into me.

Ran the mission 3 times, sat just behind the tanker the last 2 times and every single time..finishes refuelling and cuts across the tail of the tanker directly into where i would be if i was refuelling.

2 hours ago, Mandellorian said:

Mission 9 mandatory tanking..irritating but that seems par for this campaign.

Watch my wingman start taking fuel, slide on in beside and start tanking as well.

Hear wingman state refuel complete and then watch in utter disbelief as he does a hard turn directly across the tail of the tanker directly into me.

Ran the mission 3 times, sat just behind the tanker the last 2 times and every single time..finishes refuelling and cuts across the tail of the tanker directly into where i would be if i was refuelling.

Hi

Obviously the campaign normally works and has done since it was published.

Firstly are you running any mods as these have very strange effects on DCS and the operation of the AI. Also are you in open beta or the stable version. (DCS fixes take longer to reach stable version.)

I have seen this strange AI behaviour once or twice in the past. It is not related to this particular mission or campaign.  (It is not controlled by the campaign scripting). It is a DCS bug. You should report as such to ED under the bugs section so it can be fixed.  If you observe from the rear he will pass to the right as you are not there. What should happen is when you are there the AI adjusts its path to suit.

Normally this odd bug shouldn’t be a problem as your wing is slow to join for the plug and takes quite a time to refuel. You will have completed before your wing and be waiting to the right of the tanker out of the way. 

In the meantime until this bug is fixed as set out in the brief you do not have to fully refuel but just top up as required. So if you are happy you have enough fuel you can simply refuel for a few seconds and then cancel the refuel and wait to the right of the tanker for your wing  as normal procedure.

The reason  refuelling has been added  on some missions even though you may have sufficient fuel is that your AI wing may not. Your wing man has the task of catching you up for joins and keeping in formation. Depending on how you fly the mission he can quickly run out of fuel. If he does, and sometimes he will, then you will lose him and this will break the mission. So the refuels are more for him than you. Unfortunately DCS does not  allow us in the editor to give selected AI unlimited fuel at this time but we have requested this.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

• 2 weeks later...

Current beta, no mods.

Seems completely fine on the other refuels. Its only this mission he goes suicidal and comes straight at me.

The only way i ended up doing the mission was wait for Kamikaze joe to do his suicide dive across the tanker and then plug myself.

10 hours ago, Mandellorian said:

Current beta, no mods.

Seems completely fine on the other refuels. Its only this mission he goes suicidal and comes straight at me.

The only way i ended up doing the mission was wait for Kamikaze joe to do his suicide dive across the tanker and then plug myself.

Hi could you please report it as a bug to ED please. It is a bug and not within our control. The more reports the better. I will draw your report, if you send me the link, to their attention. Thanks.

Not at my rig at the moment or for a few days but see if I can come up with a work round fix. I will let you know. 

Edited by Badger633

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.