BALT not working (properly) F18

Michel0079
Go to solution Solved by Browny,

HI,

Since i restarted with F18 the BALT is not working. I push just it in flight, which normally would have lead to AP activation ( i think). I dont see the dash though beside it.

Somehow the plane makes the AP noise and then it feels 'stuck' like AP suppose to feel. So something happens. The plane then goes in a light glideslope downwards about 3 degrees en keeps that angle, as if the AP is wrongly set (not on horizon).

Just wonder what might be the problem. It was always straightforward so i am thinking of a bug.

Anyone? Tia!😀

Btw i use Open Beta version.

• ED Team

Hi, 

it has been working for me this morning, please attach a short as possible track replay showing an example of it not working so we can check it. 

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

9 minutes ago, Michel0079 said:

Hi am not able to record things. But is as simple as taking off, pushing BALT and then there is 1) no dash appearing 2) plane does get locked but under wrong angle of attack.

No need to record something - simply load up a quick flight, replicate the issue, finish your flight and then choose the "Save track replay" option. Upload said track here afterwards for analysis.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

• Solution

I had a similar problem a little while ago.

Check your joystick setup and make sure that your pitch deadzone isn't on 0. It might be that your joystick is slightly off center therefore not allowing your AP ALT HOLD to engage.

Therefore try setting your deadzone to 1.

Thanks Browny. That did the job. I increased deadzone from 3 to 5 for both axes. I had this prob before i remembered btw. Then changing deadzone from 0 to 3 was enough. Now change to 5 was necessary. Quite odd. But its working!

Regards!

• Like 2

Having to compromise flight controls like this just so autopilot can be engaged seems completely unreasonable. It's a workaround rather than a solution.

The obvious fix would be for ED to add some tolerance to what is considered 'centered' for the purposes of engaging AP. It can't be that complicated in the grand scheme of things. @BIGNEWY is there a way to make this an official suggestion or otherwise bring it to the team's attention?

• Like 2

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

• ED Team
1 hour ago, Brun said:

Having to compromise flight controls like this just so autopilot can be engaged seems completely unreasonable. It's a workaround rather than a solution.

The obvious fix would be for ED to add some tolerance to what is considered 'centered' for the purposes of engaging AP. It can't be that complicated in the grand scheme of things. @BIGNEWY is there a way to make this an official suggestion or otherwise bring it to the team's attention?

Hi, no plans to change the current values, they are correct. But setting a dead zone as suggested is a good idea if you do have some play in your stick

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 5/22/2023 at 3:34 PM, Michel0079 said:

Thanks Browny. That did the job. I increased deadzone from 3 to 5 for both axes. I had this prob before i remembered btw. Then changing deadzone from 0 to 3 was enough. Now change to 5 was necessary. Quite odd. But its working!

Regards!

What joystick do you have by the way? Tbh, it looks its center is a bit off center, no pun intended.