Navigation (TCN) F/A 18

Cpt. TRIJJ
Go to solution Solved by Lane,

• ED Team

Hi, 

are you sure its not an X? 

TCN has X and Y bands which can be changed on the up front controller, usually by default it is in the X band. 

Please attach a track replay if you still have issues so we can take a closer look.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• Solution

1 hour ago, Cpt. TRIJJ said:

I'll rerun that mission to make sure. Just in case though, it was X or Y, how do I put that X or Y in? Thnx BN

When you push TCN button on the UFC, you have different texts populated on the right side   X and Y are the last lines, you have 2 points side of it who indicate X or Y are selected. default it is X. After enter the Tacan numbers > Enter  on UFC > press ON on the UFC ( right button) for enable the TACAN ( ON Appears side of Tacan numbers )

A good practice when learning with the tutorials is to get the CHUCK Guide and use it as reference ( PDF ). https://chucksguides.com/aircraft/dcs/fa-18c/, It is easy sometimes to miss a step.   You can too at same time load guide on youtube. pause inside the game watch how then come back.

image.png

Edited by Lane

- I7 2600K @5.2ghz ( EK full Nickel waterblock )

- Gigabyte P67A-UD7 B3

- 8GB Predator 2133mhz

- 2x HD7970 - EK Nickel EN H2o block

- 2x Crucial realSSD C300 Raid0

- Black Widow Ultimate - X52 -TrackIR 5

- XIfi Titanium HD

- Win 7 x64Pro

BN was correct, it was 67X. I'm assuming since X is default, that is why X didn't show up??  And just with 67 entered, the instructor continued his lesson?? Also, thnx Lane for adding additional info. I knew going in that the F/A 18 was going to be a handful. 

43 minutes ago, Cpt. TRIJJ said:

BN was correct, it was 67X. I'm assuming since X is default, that is why X didn't show up??  And just with 67 entered, the instructor continued his lesson?? Also, thnx Lane for adding additional info. I knew going in that the F/A 18 was going to be a handful. 

X and Y don't show up on the scratchpad, they're only denoted by the colon next to the UFC buttons

I assume you misheard 'x-ray' as 'kay'?

Edited by jaylw314

23 hours ago, Cpt. TRIJJ said:

Lol   That could very well be. I was like clicking all around those X and Y boxes and getting nothing. Thnx  Jay

The only one who will show is the "ON" when you press the button for activate tacan ( it will then show on HSI ).  In caucase map it is allways X for tacan.  Y can be shown in map like Syria, so just dont mind about it enter the number and it is all good. Sometimes the tutorials are a bit confusing. 

Edited by Lane

- I7 2600K @5.2ghz ( EK full Nickel waterblock )

- Gigabyte P67A-UD7 B3

- 8GB Predator 2133mhz

- 2x HD7970 - EK Nickel EN H2o block

- 2x Crucial realSSD C300 Raid0

- Black Widow Ultimate - X52 -TrackIR 5

- XIfi Titanium HD

- Win 7 x64Pro

Nods agreeably with Lane on the confusing. I know at times, it may seem I'm asking too many questions and not doing my homework. I can assure u that is not the case. I do look up stuff but I can tell the designers write the text with great personal knowledge of flight. But perhaps, loose sight to those of us not as well-educated in flight. Case in point, I don't know what TDC is. I'm assuming it is that tip top button on the POV? It says push down to lock target. I push down and target won't lock. .. or hit Enter. I try Enter and it works fine in the Training Mission. Get into 8v8 and sometimes it'll lock but I can't track the one in front of me and deal with the 2 on my six. I go search for solution and the vast majority of videos/posts reference the Warthog not the 16000M. I still go and look up the buttons diagrams for the 16000M but nothing I saw points to the TDC. I do try though to learn on my own. No offense intended.

2 hours ago, Cpt. TRIJJ said:

Nods agreeably with Lane on the confusing. I know at times, it may seem I'm asking too many questions and not doing my homework. I can assure u that is not the case. I do look up stuff but I can tell the designers write the text with great personal knowledge of flight. But perhaps, loose sight to those of us not as well-educated in flight. Case in point, I don't know what TDC is. I'm assuming it is that tip top button on the POV? It says push down to lock target. I push down and target won't lock. .. or hit Enter. I try Enter and it works fine in the Training Mission. Get into 8v8 and sometimes it'll lock but I can't track the one in front of me and deal with the 2 on my six. I go search for solution and the vast majority of videos/posts reference the Warthog not the 16000M. I still go and look up the buttons diagrams for the 16000M but nothing I saw points to the TDC. I do try though to learn on my own. No offense intended.

Use the search button in the pdf of the manual.  1st thing that comes up for "TDC" has "throttle desiginator controller (TDC)".  If you search "throttle designator controller" the 1st thing that comes up shows you which button it is on the throttle.  You'll need to figure out how to bind it to whatever you want on your joystick or throttle.