Who shows up on link and when?

777coletrain

Myself and the group I fly with have noticed that non-link 16 aircraft tend to not show up on L16. However when I tested it a player flying a AV8B was showing up on L16 although it was intermittent. Does anyone know what causes aircraft to just randomly drop off link or not show up in general?

@777coletrain

There are a numbers of factors that determine if you are going to get data over Link16. Most noteably in DCS, is your INS and your position compared to the other Link16 users. Sharp movement can also disrupt the dataflow. a

INS:

If your INS is not precise enough, it will not get TOD(time of day) and will not get synced up to Link16. Check your INS, if I remember correctly, it needs to be greater than /63, anything greater than that should be okay. 

Position:

Link16 is a LOS(Line Of Sight) datalink. It will only share data(position) if the other users are within LOS. If you are flying in vallyes and around big mountains. You are likely to go out of LOS, and then not recieve any data.

As an answer to @SickSidewinder9 last message. The Link16 that we have in DCS currently is much better than it is in real life. In real life it updates around every 12th second. In which it has gone a whole circle to those who are saying something. In DCS the update is much more frequent, and I like it that way. lets not change that. 

43 minutes ago, Flyfighter101 said:

@777coletrain

There are a numbers of factors that determine if you are going to get data over Link16. Most noteably in DCS, is your INS and your position compared to the other Link16 users. Sharp movement can also disrupt the dataflow. a

INS:

If your INS is not precise enough, it will not get TOD(time of day) and will not get synced up to Link16. Check your INS, if I remember correctly, it needs to be greater than /63, anything greater than that should be okay. 

Position:

Link16 is a LOS(Line Of Sight) datalink. It will only share data(position) if the other users are within LOS. If you are flying in vallyes and around big mountains. You are likely to go out of LOS, and then not recieve any data.

As an answer to @SickSidewinder9 last message. The Link16 that we have in DCS currently is much better than it is in real life. In real life it updates around every 12th second. In which it has gone a whole circle to those who are saying something. In DCS the update is much more frequent, and I like it that way. lets not change that. 

I figured, but I wasn't commenting on update speed.  I was commenting more on Viper vs Hornet and how much more info we get in the Hornet and how it gets displayed.

9 hours ago, Flyfighter101 said:

@777coletrain

In real life it updates much faster, 12 seconds is the worst update it can have. It depends on the ammount participants and works something like token ring.

Edited by Ignition

@Flyfighter101 
That doesn't really explain why I'll lose one member of my flight randomly when they are flying around a mile away from me and not maneuvering.

I've also noticed that sometimes when you see aircraft on your radar they suddenly aren't showing on Link. Is it just dropping that information when the radar picks them up?

image.png

Edited by 777coletrain

12 hours ago, 777coletrain said:

I've also noticed that sometimes when you see aircraft on your radar they suddenly aren't showing on Link. Is it just dropping that information when the radar picks them up?

There‘s a bug report about that part. As soon as your radar sees the contact, all datalink info about it is lost