Jester Radar Command Delay

It should go without saying that in the heat of combat, it is often necessary to rapidly change the scan zone of a radar. When using Jester to do so in the F-14, it can take upwards of 10 seconds to change the scan zone of the radar antenna, scan mode, and display range to where it needs to be to track a target. Such a delay during close range engagements often results in the Tomcat, with Jester as the RIO, finding itself in a very undesirable situation.  

An experienced human RIO on the other hand, can reposition the radar antenna, change modes, range, etc., within seconds (see attached). 

If Jester is the only RIO available however, I recommend the following to make things more realistic. As soon as a command is issued in the Jester menu to change a radar parameter, the result should be close to immediate. After several commands, the time it takes for Jester to change everything, will be much closer to what a human RIO could do. 

Again, it should go without saying but in reality, (given good SA), the RIO should know which target to focus on without much direction from the Pilot (and even if he did not, its a simple "Track the low Bandit to the left!" kind of speach through the ICS). 

Hopefully such a change would bring about more realism and make the Tomcat more competitive as this is its largest hindrance as of know in my opinion. 

Switching Targets.trk

• Like 1

Jester was never meant to be as good as a human RIO but let's wait and see what his new version 2.0 brings.

btw: If you rely on Jester and his radar work in close range engagements you're doing it wrong.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I agree, and I'm more concerned about how when in BVR and TWS when in the front seat, Jester in the back won't hook a target right away.  There are times I need to monitor a bandit and it's there in the TID, but he's not hooking it--all that is in the info tape at the top of the TID is the INS coordinates we're at.  I don't need that, I need bearing, range, altitude, etc!

v6,

boNes

Edited by bonesvf103

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot