A & B differences

markturner1960

I am ashamed to say, I have up until this point only flown the B version. Tried the A version in my standard refueling mission and was immediately surprised at how different the throttle response / power was? i was using an S3 as tanker, so it was a slow approach, but even so, my throttle was at AB gate to maintain 200 kts.......As far as I can see, there are not separate control mappings for the A & B models. That same position in the B would have me at 400 kts and accelerating! Then I started to get a left stall warning and pops and bangs behind! Are they really that different and if so, is there a good guide / video etc that details the differences and what to expect and how to fly around the peculiarities? 

Also, are all skins interchangeable between models?

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Biggest difference (as you found) is the Pratt & Whitney TF30-P-414A engines.  They are underpowered compared to the General Electrics F110-GE-400 engines of the B, and more prone to compressor stalls (the loud banging).  In general, the engine response time is different, and you need to be at full AB during take off from the carrier, vs the B's mil-power at take off.  The B can also mount the  LANTIRN targeting pod, which I believe the A can't (or won't be able to in the future, I don't fly the A that often :-D)

That said, the TF30's have a faster top speed, but the F110's generally better in every other way.

10 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

Also, are all skins interchangeable between models?

Yes, although if you want default B skins on the A you will have to dig through the game files and copy them into the A's livery folder.

10 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

i was using an S3 as tanker, so it was a slow approach, but even so, my throttle was at AB gate to maintain 200 kts

What speed and altitude was the tanker at?  Your loadout will also effect your throttle position when flying formation or tanking.  As you can see here, I am at MIL power with 2 bags, 2x GBU-10, LANTIRN, 2x SUU-25 flare pods, 1x Sparrow, and 2x Sidewinders at 20,000 feet.  It was a struggle to regain speed without using AB, but I was well above 200 kts at MIL power so I'm unsure what your issue was.  It must have something to do with the new A flight model because I remember 290 KIAS to be a good speed for both F-14's to tank at, but I was struggling to keep up.  I will be decreasing the tanker speed by 10-15  knots on this mission so I don't have to sit on the stops.  Also, the A will get compressor stalls if you get into the exhaust of the S-3.  I compressor stalled both engines when I got to high and close and drifted down through it on my way back to proper position.

image.png

DCS 5_25_2023 7_39_58 PM.png

6 hours ago, caladain said:

The B can also mount the  LANTIRN targeting pod, which I believe the A can't (or won't be able to in the future, I don't fly the A that often :-D)

The A has the exact same loadout options as the B and can indeed mount the LANTIRN pod as seen in the screenshot above.  When we get the early A (this summer maybe?), it might not be able to use LANTIRN, but we don't yet have a weapons list for it.

• Like 1

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

Ok, thanks, will revisit the mission and confirm. It was surprising how different the A felt in that situation!

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Keep in mind that in the A, the mid compressor bypass valve opens when you extend the fuel probe. This increases engine stability at the expense of thrust which is very noticable if the tanker flies high and fast. During OEF, F-14As sometimes used zone 1 afterburner on one engine to keep up with the tanker when fully loaded. Taking gas from an S-3 flying at 200 something knots should not require AB. Did you sweep the wings back? If so, try refueling with wings in auto and you should be good.

• Like 4

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD