Quick query regarding installation of skins

I am starting to amass quite a few hi res skins now. I use OVGME and generally follow the instructions given in each skin set. Consequently, some are installed in my saved games folder and some in the main DCS root folder. I am told they should all go in the saved games folder. 

Is this the case for ALL skins and will they work just as well there? Are there any exceptions and why? Thanks!

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

15 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

I am starting to amass quite a few hi res skins now. I use OVGME and generally follow the instructions given in each skin set.

OvGME is more adept at managing true Mods, where you need to disable or enable them quickly and as needed. A skin does not need that ability, as you only need to install it once.

Consequently, some are installed in my saved games folder and some in the main DCS root folder.

Newer liveries usually instruct you to install them at /Saved Games/ ... older skins have outdated instructions telling you to install them within the DCS program folder.

I am told they should all go in the saved games folder. 

Correct, all skins should go into /Saved Games/DCS/Liveries/ .. like this:

7VhdXJf.jpg

Is this the case for ALL skins and will they work just as well there?

Is the case for all modern skins. On my case, I always install them at /Saved Games/ first, and only if they wouldn't work there, only then I would check onto it to see why it desnt work (cant recall a case tough)

Are there any exceptions and why? Thanks!

Exceptions that I can think of are: very old skins, or skins for some older IA vehicles.

• Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks Rudel.......by the way.....impressive collection of skins there!!!!

• Like 1

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/27/2023 at 5:45 PM, markturner1960 said:

That is quite remarkable, dare I ask how many terabytes there are😂

In any case I recently saw a thread discussing SSD/HD sizes, and people whining about skins they would never use occupying space. In that particular thread I stand with Rudel that we don't need some 'DCS Mod Global Skin Police' mandating what is possibly available but, with no disrespect intended, I certainly don't give sh#t about an F/A-18 skin from the non-existent Liechtenstein Navy. Then again, I might want C-130 decked out in red with green holly for Santa to fly from the North Pole.

My question is whether there is some small footprint 3rd party utility viewer available that could quickly display the various 'skinned aircraft' OUTSIDE of DCS, so people could delete them from \Liveries\[aircraft]\ directory.

I look at the DDS files with a common viewer XnViewer but can't really make heads or tails as to what this plane really looks like in a side profiled view like INSIDE DCS.

• Like 1

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

• 2 months later...
On 5/27/2023 at 11:45 AM, markturner1960 said:

Yep, but i miss the c47 and how it's organized there LoL. In my F:\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Liveries folder there's only a Bf-109K-4 folder

Edited by jackd

1 hour ago, jackd said:

Yep, but i miss the c47 and how it's organized there LoL. 

For the c47, its liveries folder should be named "C-47" 👍

• Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

With the oncoming 2.9 version i consider of doing a complete new installation, not on drive C:\, that's just too small.

As such separated from the NEW main game folder i'll create a SavedGames folder, ALL folders on my DCS game drive.

Now with all that confusion for me and the important stuff to put there i could use some tips how to organize it properly.

Especially regarding my missions and all the liveries ... BTW i prefer JSGME over that newer OVGME version, latter confuses me too much.

(I have a backup separate 'DCS settings and Profiles' folder with backups for my controllers i also want to keep on using).

Edited by jackd

@jackd
Don't waste time with a complete re-installation. Just drag and drop the whole Eagle Dynamics folder to wherever you can't it. Update your shortcuts/Skatezilla's app, do a full/slow repair, and you're factory fresh. As for Saved Games, right click, properties, move.

Cheers!

PS: Nifty solution for a common livery folder. I just use symlinks.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, jackd said:

i'll create a SavedGames folder, ALL folders on my DCS game drive.

hi, please note that you cant create a saved games folder, as it is a special windows folder, you can only move it:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

@jackd
Don't waste time with a complete re-installation. Just drag and drop the whole Eagle Dynamics folder to wherever you can't it. Update your shortcuts/Skatezilla's app, do a full/slow repair, and you're factory fresh. As for Saved Games, right click, properties, move.

Cheers!

PS: Nifty solution for a common livery folder. I just use symlinks.

Turn off your firewall, reboot, do your repair, reboot, and then start the game... restart firewall...

Sempre Fortis

Turn off your firewall, reboot, do your repair, reboot, and then start the game... restart firewall...
What's up with the firewall? During my seven years of DCSing, I've never touched mine for DCS. Neither the Windows one nor my pfSense .

9 hours ago, jackd said:

With the oncoming 2.9 version i consider of doing a complete new installation, not on drive C:\, that's just too small.

As such separated from the NEW main game folder i'll create a SavedGames folder, ALL folders on my DCS game drive.

Now with all that confusion for me and the important stuff to put there i could use some tips how to organize it properly.

Especially regarding my missions and all the liveries ... BTW i prefer JSGME over that newer OVGME version, latter confuses me too much.

(I have a backup separate 'DCS settings and Profiles' folder with backups for my controllers i also want to keep on using).

You need more storage.... I only play IL2 and DCS... I have my OS on a SSD in the drive case, two 1TB M.2 nvme SSDs on the MOBO.. one for IL2 and one for DCS, there is also a 350GB WD/HDD Raptor in there I've had for almost 15 years. I mean it's a first gen... It's the Dump Truck where I store all my backups. So if my OS SSD dies (I've had two go bad over the years) I don't lose any of my other data, if IL2 or DCS drive fails......... I have all the back ups on the Raptor... Each time I build a new computer these drives migrate into it. Once you have these extra drives you just initially load everything onto them.. no moving crap around.. or worry about running out of space..

Cheers

6 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

What's up with the firewall? During my seven years of DCSing, I've never touched mine for DCS. Neither the Windows one nor my pfSense .

People used to have a bad time of updating their game, it worked perfectly, but were unable to get back onto multiplayer rooms, they found out if you did an update/repair/clean, it was always a good idea to turn off your firewall, and even your AV, so you did not loose anything, or corrupt anything while performing these operations. And it was a valid problem, I suffered from it on numerous occasions. But if I remembered to turn off FW/AV it always worked. Don't forget to reboot... everyone is always in a hurry... I use the freeware updater and only resort to this when all else fails. It does work for me... Your mileage may vary... 

Cheers

Edited by _Hoss

Sempre Fortis

@_Hoss

I see, thanks! Got a little confused because I replied to jackd. 

And you are absolutely correct. YMMV, always! If one's FW solution interupts/conflicts with the updater, one should consider another alternative. In many cases I've seen issues with FW/AV solutions that are integrated and come bundled with Windows. I have no idea why people are willingly using and paying for those.

One more thing people tend to forget is that, (unless you're on Home), you get one license for free to run locally in a hypervisor. I have no idea why people don't do that for the everyday usage. Got a problem? Just reset to yesterday's snapshot. 😉🍻 

23 hours ago, _Hoss said:

Each time I build a new computer these drives migrate into it. Once you have these extra drives you just initially load everything onto them.. no moving crap around.. or worry about running out of space..

Cheers

People used to have a bad time of updating their game, it worked perfectly, but were unable to get back onto multiplayer rooms, they found out if you did an update/repair/clean, it was always a good idea to turn off your firewall, and even your AV, so you did not loose anything, or corrupt anything while performing these operations. And it was a valid problem, I suffered from it on numerous occasions. But if I remembered to turn off FW/AV it always worked. Don't forget to reboot... everyone is always in a hurry... I use the freeware updater and only resort to this when all else fails. It does work for me... Your mileage may vary... 

Cheers

First line: that's how i do it as well. No dead SSDs yer, but i sticked to the Samsung brand. Especially their Samsung Magician tool lured me into this company.

Second: i use Tinywall and windows fire wall off. Tinywall has a learning mode, and a fairly easy Managing page were you can set or correct permissions, IMO one of the easiest firewall for tuning.

Edited by jackd
  • Thanks 1