I hope you do more cold war era BFM/ACM campaigns in the future

TLDR: The limitations of the F5 and the lack of "AI limitations" in DCS will absolutely beat you down in this campaign.  Don't go into this expecting to win.  Hope for a draw at best, and hope you learned something in the experience.  Don't get me wrong, a win is cool, but I think with this plane, and these scenarios, it's about the little victories more so than the other BFM campaigns.  I very much enjoyed this, but I was aware of what some of the game limitations were ahead of time.

I will start off with what is most likely going to be the biggest complaint, that isn't in your control, but should be mentioned for a new DCS player.  The energy management and decision making of the "AI" in the current iteration of DCS 2.8 MT is really evident in this campaign.  In my opinion the low thrust to weight of the F-5, and slow spool times of the motors makes the AI's savant like ability in those areas very evident in the outcome of these fights.  The AI will absolutely outturn you, out maneuver you, and make you pay every time you are late in your own management of the aircraft. 

However, I went into this experience knowing that the AI was going to be a limitation.  I love the NTTR map, and it's fun to jump in fly a short sortie and get some practice in.  This campaign in particular surprised me a bit, because of how the F-5 is replicated in DCS.  If you go into it knowing you are at a severe disadvantage (It's an F-5.  You are the underdog...plus the AI)  I just try to focus on things I can control in a BFM situation.  My corner speeds, my flaps, my fuel, my throttle 5 minutes in the future.  I have a couple of the BFM campaigns, and because this is in an F-5, I think it adds so much challenge to in your own abilities.

You get a lot of practice in navigation using TACAN radials.  Sometimes I would just fly the fam flight just to practice and relax with some navigation. (This practice is in the other BFM campaigns also, but the nav systems are usually much more advanced in later generation airframes, so you aren't forced.  But I enjoyed being forced.  It's like flying formation, or refueling, or landing on a carrier.  Every opportunity to do these things is only going to force you to become better.) This is easy enough to do, but often not done in DCS because it doesn't actually serve a purpose, nor is it required.  I enjoy that it forces you to practice basic airmanship stuff on the way to the range (again, if you want to.  But all the information to practice and learn this is provided to the player in the briefings if you look.  Also, if you have flown the NTTR map enough it becomes mostly visual, but if you want to be precise the information to do it is provided.) 

Fuel in the F5, is a thing in these scenarios.  3x 5 minutes dog-fights, while trying to keep up with the AI, is going to be a consideration.  Also, tank drag is a real consideration even for the flight out.  Just another little consideration the other airframes don't suffer from as much.  I try to have a centerline 150 gal tank with a bit of fuel in the first fight if I can.  I am still trying to figure out if the drag alone is worth the extra burner time in the initial few turns. 

Using this campaign to learn sight pictures if the enemy is pulling lead, pure, or lag pursuit.  When you should reverse, or nose counter, but also not float out in front.  Should you drop your nose to extend and gain speed.  Should your flaps be in auto or fixed (if you want to stir up some community discussion).  These are all challenges in the other BFM campaigns, but the nature of the F5, make everything an energy management consideration.

In your F18 BFM campaign you have included different threat profiles of the different airframes you will face.  I was curious if those could also be included in the F5's campaign?  For those that may own only own this campaign they could be beneficial.  

I hope in the future, once the development of some of the core of DCS settles down a bit, and the airplanes mature, we can get more of the cold war era jets in your BFM/ACM campaigns.  This is a bit of an over exaggeration and simplification, but to me, this era started to change how much of a pilots skill translated into the outcome of these engagements. That's what makes getting a win in the F5 such a good feeling.  You were never supposed to win in most of the situations the campaign makes you face.  That's what makes it all the sweeter when you are able to squeak out a win.

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback and we are glad you are getting the experience we had hoped for.  Your recommendations are spot on!

We are refactoring and improving the campaigns so will consider including the threat profiles as you suggested.  We look forward to ED's improvements in the AI as that will continue to improve the experience with these campaigns.

We do plan on providing more BFM and ACM and Red Flag campaigns for the various aircraft platforms and we hope the player's experience in flying them in sequence (BFM, ACM then Red Flag) will ensure a more successful outcome in the Red Flag missions and any other future missions the player chooses.

Thanks for your support and encouragement!

• Like 2

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

• 2 months later...

F-5E Aggressors Air Combat Maneuver Campaign by Maple Flag Missions

• Updated planner with range boundaries and updated range diagrams and kneeboard pages.
  • Added aircraft threat profiles to briefings.
  • Minor trigger tweaks to improve game play.
  • Added gun and missile calls.
  • Updated practice missions to use both rookie and ace ai settings.
  • Adjusted AI taxi voice over times.
  • Added rookie and random campaigns.

I am not trying to revive any posts, so I apologize, but I also wanted to say thanks. This was a great update for all of us who really enjoy what your campaigns can provide for single-player users. For me, your ACM and BFM campaigns are a real easy way to jump in and out of DCS with my limited play time. For me, that has been my biggest enjoyment. You have provided so many ways to jump in, get dirty, and get out. I have also played DCS long enough to know her own limitations and shortcomings. I think your campaigns work extremely well, providing a great experience within those boundaries.

But I had asked you if it was possible to also have the threat profiles you had provided in your other campaigns be provided with the F5E ACM campaign. The other changes to the campaigns are way more impactful and meaningful, but you still took time to add something that, truthfully, may be something only I wanted. lol, but you all really did it. I read this and had to come back here and say thanks. I can't even maintain my own missions from one beta update to the next, but here I am, enjoying every minute of the experience you all have provided years later.

Hats off!

• Like 2