Changing Pulse Repetition Frequency order

bies
Go to solution Solved by Harker,

I've noticed when changing PRF in the Hornet the order is: MPFR -> HPRF -> INTL

But 90% of the time you want to change from HPRF to MPRF through the engagement, and to do that, you have to cycle through INTL and MPRF. It is very unlikely you would need to change from MPRT to HPRF. Is this order correct to the real aircraft?

Edited by bies

• Solution

The default starting point of the system is INTL. Most times, you want to switch to MPRF, so that comes after.

It's less common to be in HPRF only, and then switch to MPRF.

• Thanks 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Since a hostile firing at you will (should) inevitably start maneuvering, staying in INTL will ensure the best of both worlds. When you're engaging a target, you should try to get a high update rate on them, by narrowing down the azimuth, or using TWS, which will do it for you (I use TWS 40/4 or 20/6).

That way, even if you only pick up the HPRF returns, they'll still provide fast updates, and when/if HPRF starts losing out to MPRF, you'll immediately pick the latter up, without having to fiddle with the radar.

Or use STT, which will automatically use the correct PRF for the present situation, regardless of your previous setting. (In DCS, STT uses HPRF for all hot targets, and MPRF for all cold targets. It should use MPRF as much as it can though, for increased resistance to notching, only resorting to HPRF if necessary, i.e. STT on a hot target at long range - reported internally).

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

On 5/27/2023 at 1:43 AM, Harker said:

The default starting point of the system is INTL. Most times, you want to switch to MPRF, so that comes after.

It's less common to be in HPRF only, and then switch to MPRF.

Makes sense. I've basically never used INTL as Link16 shows what aspect and range to expect. It was probably different during Cold War / Desert Storm before Link16 when standard was to use INTL not to get caught off guard easily. Thx.