Removing the handle on the Warthog base

IR.Clutch

Hello, I would like to use TM base as a button box without the grip. After I unscrewed and unplugged the handle from the board, the base was no longer recognized by Windows. After plugging it back in, everything worked as before. Maybe the problem is in the firmware, but I definitely saw someone's picture with TM base without the handle, but how that works, I have no idea. I created a ticket to TM, hope they can help. I already have WinWing F-16 throttle combo, and I don't need TM base handle anymore, it just gets in the way. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance

i7-11700K 5GHz, 64GB DDR4@3200, ZOTAC RTX4090, iiyama 34 Red Eagle  || Quest 3, HP Reverb G2, TrackIR 5  || Orion2 F-16EX Viper Throttle Combo, TM Warthog throttle(button box),  Virpil WarBRD+Viper stick, VPC interceptor pedals || TM MFD Cougar pack || F-16C, F-15E, AH-64D | Simshaker Jetpad || F-16 Panels: Landing Gear, CMDS, ICP, Avionics, Sensors, Lighting, Air Cond, HUD, Anti Ice

Hello, I would like to use TM base as a button box without the grip. After I unscrewed and unplugged the handle from the board, the base was no longer recognized by Windows. After plugging it back in, everything worked as before. Maybe the problem is in the firmware, but I definitely saw someone's picture with TM base without the handle, but how that works, I have no idea. I created a ticket to TM, hope they can help. I already have WinWing F-16 throttle combo, and I don't need TM base handle anymore, it just gets in the way. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance
That's how it is. It works perfectly well, that's why it will get recognised as the F-18 grip, when plugged in.
To make a button box you must get the DIN 5 pin connector and use shift registers. Rel4y sells some.
Or just pull out the electronics in the grip.

Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 часов назад, MAXsenna сказал:

Or just pull out the electronics in the grip.

Thanks, I will contact Rel4y, but I didn't quite get on above. What did you mean by pulling out the electronics? I would like to fully remove the grip.

i7-11700K 5GHz, 64GB DDR4@3200, ZOTAC RTX4090, iiyama 34 Red Eagle  || Quest 3, HP Reverb G2, TrackIR 5  || Orion2 F-16EX Viper Throttle Combo, TM Warthog throttle(button box),  Virpil WarBRD+Viper stick, VPC interceptor pedals || TM MFD Cougar pack || F-16C, F-15E, AH-64D | Simshaker Jetpad || F-16 Panels: Landing Gear, CMDS, ICP, Avionics, Sensors, Lighting, Air Cond, HUD, Anti Ice

Thanks, I will contact Rel4y, but I didn't quite get on above. What did you mean by pulling out the electronics? I would like to fully remove the grip.
Remove the grip, open it, and use the electronics inside.
When, you make your button box, I'll assume you'll basically make a copy of what's inside anyway. It's actually a very good idea.

Cheers!

EDIT: When I finally get around to modding my old MS FFB2's, I will basically have a long cable and plug it into my Warthog base.

1 час назад, MAXsenna сказал:

Remove the grip, open it, and use the electronics inside

What a great idea) I hadn't thought of that. I may try to take all the buttons, drill new holes and fit them into the base! Then there would be more buttons and no grip. That's what I wanted -button box. Thanks! @MAXsenna

• Like 2

What a great idea) I hadn't thought of that. I may try to take all the buttons, drill new holes and fit them into the base! Then there would be more buttons and no grip. That's what I wanted -button box. Thanks! @MAXsenna
I think it will be fairly easy.
I have a couple of more suggestions though.
By a new DIN 5 pin connector, and then you can choose the length of the cable.
Don't use the buttons, only the electronic boards and shift registers, because you can then easily rebuild the grip.
Buy new momentary buttons and on/off switches. Because then you can use on/else off logic in modules, and the new "switch off" functions in DCS.
If I'm not clear, ask, and I'll give you an example when I get home.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 час назад, MAXsenna сказал:

If I'm not clear, ask, and I'll give you an example when I get home

I would really appreciate it, as I don't quite understand what I need to buy or order yet.

3 hours ago, IR.Clutch said:

I would really appreciate it, as I don't quite understand what I need to buy or order yet.

Right, on your Warthog throttle:
The L/G WRN is a momentary push button, which only sends a signal while pushed/held. (Like all the switches on the grip).
While the EAC ARM OFF switch is an ON/OFF switch, which only sends a signal in the ON position.
The PATH ALT/HDG ALT switch, is and ON/OFF/ON switch, sends only signal while ON, and functions as two buttons, so to speak. Same with the flap lever.
The ENG OPER switches are ON/OFF/(ON). One position is momentary.
On my K-52 collective is ON/ON/ON. Sends a signal in each position. Which is nice, but counts as three buttons, and could potentially be limiting against the max number of DX supported switches on a device.

Other switches can be a mix of the above like (ON)/(ON), and most ON/OFF are actually ON/ON, you just don't connect one side.

Now, this can be exploited in DCS. Like in the free T-45 community module, like the gear, we don't have an ON/ELSE OFF.

image.png

But if we take the EAC switch on the Warthog (Botton 24), and configure it for UP.

image.png

We do it again for DOWN, but choose 24 OFF in the drop down.

image.png

Sorry about the wording. The forum is completely broken regarding pasting screenshots (NULL). So this just got messy.
Anyway, hope this was a little clearer regarding what I tried to say.

Cheers!

Edited by MAXsenna
  • Like 1

18 часов назад, MAXsenna сказал:

By a new DIN 5 pin connector, and then you can choose the length of the cable.

For what do I need the connector? And in general, if I change the switches to other switches, will they work with the main TM board and the firmware?

Where is the best place to buy? Maybe you know

Thanks a lot!

1 hour ago, IR.Clutch said:

For what do I need the connector? And in general, if I change the switches to other switches, will they work with the main TM board and the firmware?

Where is the best place to buy? Maybe you know

Thanks a lot!

The wires from the connector in the grip, are very short. You will see what I mean when you open it. So I'm sure you want a longer cable, so you don't ruin the connector.
That type of connector, male-chassis installation, I haven't found anywhere. But female-chassis installation are easy to come by. Male/female for cable as well.
You will also need wires inside your box too.

Yes, a switch is in principle a switch, (Basically a cable/wire "breaker"), as long as they are connected correctly. The board/firmware won't know. All that matters are on/off.
Can you handle a soldering iron?

High quality switches you can get from here, though the link points to a Norwegian "page". You might be redirected to your own country.

https://no.rs-online.com/web/c/switches/toggle-switches-slide-switches/

The connectors I got from here. They also have switches.

https://www.elliottelectronicsupply.com/

Cheers!

В 29.05.2023 в 11:26, MAXsenna сказал:

Can you handle a soldering iron?

Yes, I can handle a soldering iron. I have so far hidden all the buttons inside the base, not the most elegant solution, but it works. A little bit later I'll think about where and what to cut in/install. There is nothing more permanent than temporary😅 Thanks for your help)👋

IMG_20230530_122046.jpg

Edited by IR.Clutch
  • Like 2