UH-1 goes out of control, systems continue working but aircraft uncontrollable

primus_TR
Go to solution Solved by Flappie,

I started having this very strange bug; it is not easy to describe but I'll try (track is attached):

On Caucasus map, using MT version:

1. Heli becomes uncontrollable, as though I plugged off my HOTAS. The joystick controls are normal, though, as they work normal in the settings/axis controls page and keyboard flight controls also do not respond.

2. All buttons in the cockpit are clickable, radios work etc. 

3. The heli is stuck in an impossible attitude (50 degrees bank, 20 degrees pitch up) yet maintains level flight. 

4. Weapons fire, but after a couple of rounds, tracers disappear. Same with flares. I can hear the flares shooting, but no flares show. 

5. ESC menu works, I can exit the mission. I can also exit the helo by ALT+J. 

Track is attached (a long flight, an hour+). The problem occurs close to the end of the track. 

Note:

I'm using the old flight model.

This happened twice when flying a Briefing Room-generated mission. Not sure if it is possible for a mission to break the aircraft dynamics like this, though. 

I have never before encountered this bug. 

It may be somehow related with the co-pilot autopilot. Both times, it happened when going back and forth from the autopilot. 

uh1_out_of_control_bug.trk

Edited by primus_TR
Edited to indicate I'm using the old flight model

33 minutes ago, primus_TR said:

Well, very refreshing to see a track-documented bug report being ignored. 

Your thread dates from less than one week.

I added it to my todo-list yesterday evening and it's in 7th position, which is not bad since it's not about a DCS crash. My todo-list contains more than 480 threads by the way. Some threads in this list are very old.

So, please, a little more patience.

• Like 3

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

@primus_TR Your track is way too long, and DCS track replay is not accurate enough to withstand such a long track. Sorry, it's unusable. We need a shorter track showing this isuse. I'll try switching from pilot to copilot and see if I can reproduce what you experienced.

EDIT: I'm unable to reproduce yoru issue.

Just in case, check this thread.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

3 hours ago, Flappie said:

What do you mean by that? Have you altered the game files?

Due to the torque and fuel consumption issues with the latest engine modeling, I am using the old flight model:

/FMOOptions.lua

New_engine_model   = false

3 hours ago, Flappie said:

Your track is way too long, and DCS track replay is not accurate enough to withstand such a long track. Sorry, it's unusable. We need a shorter track showing this isuse. I'll try switching from pilot to copilot and see if I can reproduce what you experienced.

Unfortunately, I do not know what exactly caused the problem so it is not something I can reproduce at will; hence, I can only submit a track in which it occurred when it occurred, which was after about an hour into the mission.  

The reason you cannot reproduce is probably because the track was recorded using the old flight model. If it will be of any help, I can rerun the track on my end and record a video of it. It is bizarre: Cockpit instruments showing straight attitude. External view showing ~40 degrees bank, 20 degrees pitch up, heli flying straight without loss of altitude. It won't accept flight control inputs (neither keyboard nor hotas), but cockpit systems remain interactable. 

Anyhow, I believe this is a significant bug, that's why I took my time to report it for I want to see this module reach perfection. So, do as you wish with this information. 

Ciao, Calabrone. Il consumo di carburante e i problemi di coppia con la nuova modellazione del motore rendono spiacevole far volare l'Huey in questo momento. Ecco perché sto usando il vecchio modello di volo. Non intendo utilizzare il nuovo modello di volo finché non risolveranno i problemi. Ciao

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Miles Vorkosigan said:

@primus_TR are you using a Winwing stick? Many, not all,  people are having a glitch with that stick. It seems to disconnect for a few seconds and then comes back on but only once in a while. I have two of the F-16 sticks, one does this the other does not. 

I'm using an old Saitek X55 hotas. A controller USB issue was my first thought also, but I checked controller settings and my controller was working normally. And also, the keyboard flight controls were not responding also. So, I think controller can be excluded as a source of the problem.