GBU 54B

Flapjacks
Go to solution Solved by Flappie,

So I've been trying with limited success to get GBU 54's to reliably hit their targets while using the laser. The targets being stationary tanks (T90's or 72's) or BMD's. I've tried different altitudes from 5,000 to 16,000 ft, I've also tried different laser times from 5 seconds to 15 with auto lase, and lasing manually before and after release of the bomb. I've tried with point track and area track (aiming at base of vehicle tracks). Nothing seems to work consistently. All of these were done while flying the A 10C II. Other laser guided bombs seem to work fine. 

No, tacview files are useless in this case. 

Once you have finished playing the mission (in SP), you have the option to "save replay" at the bottom in the debriefing screen. Once saved, upload the track here. 

Try to keep it as short as possible. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Flapjacks said:

btw, would being on a multiplayer server when testing had made a difference?

No, except that the track will probably be longer (depending if an airstart or ground start). 

Just be aware that someone will have to sit down and look through your whole track. The shorter the better. Nobody wants to watch you for 20 minutes flying around just to drop one bomb. 

But otherwise, it should not make a difference (if you set the settings in SP 100% exactly the same as the MP mission setting) 

Edited by razo+r
  • Like 1

Ok, I gotcha. Working on it now in SP. I did almost all my testing on MP and now that I'm in SP, it seems to be working better. Although I've done this mission twice and each time the bomb has missed once out of 4 in each of the two missions. This file I'm gonna upload, the miss will be on the 4th BMP that I bomb.

a10c GBU 54.trk

• Solution

Thank you very much for the tracks.

Here's a video comparison of the bombs attitude during their fall (left = on target or almost on target / right = way off target):

Bomb 1 right on spot

Bomb 4 missed

Bomb 2 nearly missed

-

Bomb3 right on spot

Bomb 5 (2nd track) missed

It's late, I'll get back on it later. Feel free to comment on the different bombs flight profile.

@Flapjacks Have you tried releasing your bombs at a lower speed? It looks as though bombs 3, 4 and 5 arrive over their target too fast. I guess the lower the slower is good, otherwise the bomb has too much inertia.

Edited by Flappie

---

yeah, I noticed the overshoot. I also read in another post, someone mentioning kinda the same thing. It seems to fly level for too long before nosing down to catch the laser. I'll hop on and try releasing at a slower speed. That's a cool comparison video you put together!

That seems to be it. I slowed down to ~235 kts and went 5 for 6 on the 1st attempt ( the one run that missed, I was at ~260 kts) and went 6 for 6 on the 2nd attempt. As well as adjusting altitude. I hadn't been paying attention to the radar altimeter and saw I was 2,000 ft lower than I thought. Thanks for the help, it was driving me crazy!!👍

Edited by Flapjacks

@Flappie

IRL the faster, the better for GBU (within launch parameters). The added speed gives the bomb energy to make more important course correction, especially at the end. Actually several -34 manual state an optimal GS of 500 kts at release for the optimal precision.

5 hours ago, Flapjacks said:

That's a cool comparison video you put together!

Thanks. I wanted to add in some cool '70s effects, but it was 2 in the morning.

3 hours ago, Flapjacks said:

That seems to be it. I slowed down to ~235 kts and went 5 for 6 on the 1st attempt ( the one run that missed, I was at ~260 kts) and went 6 for 6 on the 2nd attempt. As well as adjusting altitude. I hadn't been paying attention to the radar altimeter and saw I was 2,000 ft lower than I thought. Thanks for the help, it was driving me crazy!!👍

In his video, Wags was flying at 275 knots (HUD indication). It seemed to work back then.

And the Grim Reapers guys were flying at 249 knots:

17 minutes ago, Bacab said:

@Flappie

IRL the faster, the better for GBU (within launch parameters). The added speed gives the bomb energy to make more important course correction, especially at the end. Actually several -34 manual state an optimal GS of 500 kts at release for the optimal precision.

If I'm not mistaken, the Paveway II has some kind of motor to orient the sensor, which the GBU-54 does not seem to have: it's just waiting to face the target to guide itself. I have three theories:

• ingame GBU-54 sensor FOV is too narrow,
  • ingame GBU-54 should actively pitch down a little after the initial pitch up, in order to find the laser faster.
  • ingame GBU-54 bomb center of gravity is ill-placed, which might explain why the bomb pitches down late when released at a higher speed.

What do you all think?

I'll do more tests with AI aircraft, then I'll report to devs.

---

It's gps enabled too. I figured that would guide it correctly until the preprogrammed auto lase time kicked in, factoring in speed and altitude. Although it works now that I've adjusted for speed, it still seems kinda temperamental compared to other gbu's. Btw, some Ram Jam would've made good background music in the video (Bam a lam) lol