RWR warnings when ground radar targeting a different aircraft

MarkyMark
Go to solution Solved by okopanja,

This has been brought up before, I’m sure,  but I’m having trouble finding it.

currently, a SAM lock on an aircraft other than your own, seems to set off the RWR warning (example, an SA2 locking a friendly aircraft in close proximity to it) despite being outside detection range yourself.

is this correct behavior?  Occasionally, I experience the same, even from enemy aircraft (typically a mig-25, mig-31, or su-33), even while on the ground taxiing. 

is this considered correct as-is? 

FYI, I experience this in hornet, but have also experience it in F16, F15, and I’m assuming it’s the same for all RWR equipped airframes. 

Edited by MarkyMark

• MarkyMark changed the title to RWR warnings when ground radar targeting a different aircraft
  • Solution

I think more than one issue with same symptoms but more than one cause.

1. If yound find yourself in a beam while other aircraft is locked or even firered upon, if the signal is strong enough and your rwr sensitive enough, you should get an rwr warning

2. There is a known bug where you get RWR/BDA/Team kills belonging to another aircraft. I think the DCS recycles aircraft objects and it can happen that same identificator gets reused. It would be nice if ED can confirm this

• Like 2

Mind that RWR can warn you way earlier than the detection range. RWR can also receive warnings from side lobes, not only from main lobe. DCS might not simulate this though. RWR can work on the ground too.

Having said that, there still might be some bugs but track and details are needed to work on the specific case.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

10 hours ago, draconus said:

Mind that RWR can warn you way earlier than the detection range. RWR can also receive warnings from side lobes, not only from main lobe. DCS might not simulate this though. RWR can work on the ground too.

Having said that, there still might be some bugs but track and details are needed to work on the specific case.

It’s hard to provide a track for this and narrow it down, as I play exclusively multiplayer now, and the conditions have to be “just right” with other players in the mix. It just feels like getting a warning from well outside possible detection range feels wrong.  But if it’s meant to be, so be it, as previous reply stated by happening to be in the beam direction of another aircraft that’s closer, I’ll take it. 

I just wasn’t sure if this was a “known issue” or not. Thanks for the reply. 

On 6/19/2023 at 4:39 PM, MarkyMark said:

It’s hard to provide a track for this and narrow it down, as I play exclusively multiplayer now, and the conditions have to be “just right” with other players in the mix. It just feels like getting a warning from well outside possible detection range feels wrong.  But if it’s meant to be, so be it, as previous reply stated by happening to be in the beam direction of another aircraft that’s closer, I’ll take it. 

I just wasn’t sure if this was a “known issue” or not. Thanks for the reply. 

You can see a signal in the RWR well beyond the detection range. It's normal.

• Like 2