Can't use GBU-24 Bomb in the F/A-18C

Coop4Free

Hi guys,

I am currently training the use of laser-guided bombs with the F/A-18C. I can use all GBU variants without any problems, except for the GBU-24.

Normally you get a vertical line in the HUD once you've properly configured a bomb to deploy it. Then a timer runs down on the right in the HUD and at second 0 the bomb is released with the release button.

But with the GBU-24 I don't get the vertical line in the HUD and no drop countdown. In my opinion, I have completed all configuration steps:
- Stabilized Point Track selected with the Litening Targeting Pod
- GBU-24 selected
- Assign laser code
- Mode and MFUZ of the bomb selected
- Master Arm on and on A/G
- Laser beam switched on (LDT/R)
I attached a picture where you can see my configuration. Please look at this.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I can't find anything on the internet about this problem. 😞

Screenshot 2023-08-10 235431.png

Mode looks like it's in PP or pre-planned mode. I imagine you change it with the Mode pushbutton on the left DDI/MFD. Using the TGP you would want TOO, Target of Opportunity mode, unless your using the TGP to make mark points for PP mode. I don't use LGB's much if at all so I might be wrong.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Insanatrix said:

Mode looks like it's in PP or pre-planned mode. I imagine you change it with the Mode pushbutton on the left DDI/MFD. Using the TGP you would want TOO, Target of Opportunity mode, unless your using the TGP to make mark points for PP mode. I don't use LGB's much if at all so I might be wrong.

Unfortunately, I've already tried without the pre-planned mode, which didn't work. I've tried all possible configurations.

Anyway, I just tried again and now it suddenly works. No idea why, feels like magic. But now I get the vertical line and I can throw it properly.

Anyway thanks for the help 😄

Yes, if your course line is set at 000, you need to approach the target from its 180 heading 0 (i think) in PP. You also need to make sure that your fuses are set, your release type is set to AUTO, and...its been a while since I last flew the -18, but what is CLAR? That must be the Paveway 3.

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+/ AH64D grip/custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 + Odyssey Ark | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro
 My wallpaper and skins

On today's episode of "Did You Know", the Peregrine Falcon can pull 25G's after delivering The Falcon Punch.

CLAR is Computed Launch Acceptability Region. My guess is that you're outside of that (which makes sense since you have the attack heading set to 0 degrees and your heading is 050 degrees). If you run into this again, try boxing CLAR OVR (PB12).

Edited by Yoda967
Corrected PB for CLAR OVR selection

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann