question about the 1.1 videos

Those clips have astounding resolution and quality :shock: . I searched the forums and found that they were first recorded using the AVImaker released with the game. How exactly do they get over the size limitation and still achieve such high resolution.

Wondering if someone could expound alittle on how they were made. What other software was used? I have used FRAPs and it just cant compare.

Thanks for any info :D

I would expect that they recorded a raw (uncompressed) AVI file to a fast disk in full quality, and reencoded it using mpeg4 to reduce its size to manageable levels. You can fit an entire 2-hour movie at near-DVD quality in less than 1.5GB with a good mpeg4 codec.

Windows Media Encoder can encode to Microsoft's own mpeg4 implementation (WMV) or you can use one of the freeware DiVX codecs.

• ED Team

First of all look at this topic

http://www.forum.lockon.ru/viewtopic.php?t=3484

The main question of any clipmaker is how to store master footage.

MPEG-2 DVD 9800 kbps has good Q and relatively small size but ain't useful because it's a stream video and editing soft works slow as a hell after any change rearranging key frames. Frame size can not be set freely.

The best working codec is old good MJPEG... having all frames as a key frame. No restrictions for the frame size. There is only one trouble - AVIMaker does not support it... :) so you have to render into uncomressed video but the best way is to use lossless codec (Huffman YUV or JPEG) then convert it to MJPEG with VirtualDub.

Rendering with AVIMaker you are free to run your video card at the highest setting so for the game graphics settings. It's a unique feature of Lomac.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Thanks for the replies.

Yo-Yo thanks for the link, I did already read that post and I guess I was hoping for a little more detail. I did not mention that I am a novice to movie making and using FRAPs hardly qualifies me as an enthusiast.

I dont really understand the numbered screenshots thing. Is that done using 1.1s AVImaker or something else?

Really compression to me is a minor issue. I would'nt care if the file was 1 GB as long has it had the same high quality as those other clips. I have downloaded many clips from all the various flight sims and made a few of my own, and the 1.1 examples are the highest res I have seen.

My main interest in making movies is for my own enjoyment and showing off the game to friends not necessarily making them available online.

• ED Team
Thanks for the replies.

Yo-Yo thanks for the link, I did already read that post and I guess I was hoping for a little more detail. I did not mention that I am a novice to movie making and using FRAPs hardly qualifies me as an enthusiast.

I dont really understand the numbered screenshots thing. Is that done using 1.1s AVImaker or something else?

If there's no video compressors on your computer at all :) the AVIMaker will offer you two "codecs" - uncompressed video and numbered screenshots. The last "codec" provides the quality as MJPEG but without 2G limit of AVI.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me