Formation Flying Training suggestion

Formation Flying Training suggestion  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Formation Flying Training suggestion

• very good added value
    • good added value
    • bow
    • no interest

Posted this on UBI forum, and been asked to post it here, so I do :-)

I was thinking about this: training for formation flying is one of the hardest things to do in LockOn. Either you have a team and then you can define a common program (which not everybody has), or you have to train in custom missions, but your wingmen (or another flight you fly with) will never make aerobatics, loopings or so. Also you cannot define yourself as the wingman of an AI plane, which would allow you to train for staying in formation at takeoff for example.

So, I thought that a "ghost" feature would be very cool. It can be compared to car racing games, where you can run against your ghost (representation of your previous race). So you would fly alone once, make a program with loopings, inversions etc depending on your skills, and then you would fly your next flight with your ghost reproducing what you did and train to hold formation with it. I don't know if this would be too complex to program for the devs, but it's as if you fly with a recorded flight, and recording flights and editing views while playing back is already possible now, which makes me think it should not be so hard (but I really don't know, and will not make assumptions).

I would find it quite cool, what do you guys think ?

Formation Flying

Very Interesting comments regarding formation flying. I have an idea I am sure you may have already tried this. Create a mission with at least two wingmen. Fly your foramtion as normal but make the mission a track file. Then each time you play the mission you take control of one of the AI wingmen using Alt + J. Hopefully you'll be able to follow your previously flown formation. Give it a try and let me know how you get on.

Only the spirit of attack born in a brave heart will bring success to

any BVR or Dogfight no matter how highly developed the fighter may be.

Re: Formation Flying

Very Interesting comments regarding formation flying. I have an idea I am sure you may have already tried this. Create a mission with at least two wingmen. Fly your foramtion as normal but make the mission a track file. Then each time you play the mission you take control of one of the AI wingmen using Alt + J. Hopefully you'll be able to follow your previously flown formation. Give it a try and let me know how you get on.

Hi,

nice idea in fact, and no, I didn't try it. To my last remembers, when Alt-Jying (!) the responses of the new plane were not the same as a first plane you get. Maybe this was corrected in v.1.02, I don't know ?

I'll give it a try tonight and let you know.

I've tried and sadly it doesnt quite work.

You can replay the track and AI lead will fly the aerobatics whilst replaying the track, but as soon as you Alt-J in to the wingman lead reverts to the pre-planned flight and waypoints.

However I have had good results creating missions to fly as the wingman - the AI mainly flies 'unrealistic' manouvres with large height changes, so if you avoid these, and stay alert at waypoints and in the circuit then it can be very interesting alternative to flying #1

Cheers,

Keith

• 5 months later...