Project: Lowering requirements on DCS

Airway

Hello!

I bought so many copies of Black Shark now, that I want to put one on my elder computer.

Hardware: Athlon XP 2400+, 1 GB RAM (already max), ATI X800 graphics adapter, Win XP SP 3.

Well, as you can think, it's no surprise that it doesn't run very well on that machine. I didn't expect it different. The machine runs at it's max.

My intention was to use it for mission editing but even there you need to run the missions to test things.

So the thing I need your help for, is to gather information how I can tweak Black Shark so, that it runs smoother on that machine.

Some of you are professional with LockOn and have more ideas what files are for what and where and how to edit these files to improve fps.

Intentionally I was thinking about lowering trees amount and something with the water settings.

Any Idea and help from you is appreciated :thumbup:

Thanks in advance,

Airway

Edited by Airway

You can try also to remove smoke (ground hover smoke, hit ground smoke ect) by going to \Bazar\Effects\PFX.

There are files - their names are explaing themself so I only aware you to DO NOT delete gunsmoke.pfx - it causes completely DCS or system (don't remember I know DCS will be freezed maybe system too) freeze.

You can rename or delete rest files safety on 99%.

Get mods for water - same like in LO - example water mod by Hawg11, overcast mod by Robocop, Robobob or something like this (sry i don't remember author :P).

Get out trees by deleting their shapes (LOM or CMD).

Also basically set all to low in graphic settings.

You can download FPS mod for FC 2.51 and copy some values to BS graphic.cfg (simple compare it and copy some lines).

I think there are other things you can do too, but I don't remember all, and I wouldn't know all things.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Turning effects to 2 removes the dust clouds. I haven't tried changing it to 0.

Some graphics options can be set in the options.lua file found in the \...\BlackShark\data\scripts folder. Specifically, you can change water to either '1' (low setting) or '0' (texture only). If you experience a frame hit when inside a dust cloud, setting the effects parameter to '2' will disable the visual effect.

My intention was to use it for mission editing but even there you need to run the missions to test things.

Well, just share the folder on your main rig over your LAN, and on the mission editing rig save the files to that LAN folder and then test-run on your main computer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Those computers are not connected on a LAN.

But the other hints result in around 14 fps now to a max still under 20.

I played around in the options.lua file.

Thanks for the advise.

Looking out for the FPS mod for FC 2.51.

I'll see if that can stop stuttering in special situations.

At least in my case on my old rig the mission design itself can have a major impact more then anything else sometimes. For example flying the "Battle" mission vs a free flight mission with nothing but yourself in the mission.

Well the K7S5A only takes up to 1 GB Ram, otherwise I would have done that already.

But any advise if there is anything better than an ATI X800 GTO for my system that still has AGP slot?

I know that simulations are CPU hungy, but there's nothing to add to the one I have installed. Well yes, the Athlon XP 2600+ but that one is rare and not speeding anything up over the 2400+ which I have installed.

Thank's so far for all your advices and hints !

Well the K7S5A only takes up to 1 GB Ram, otherwise I would have done that already.

But any advise if there is anything better than an ATI X800 GTO for my system that still has AGP slot?

I know that simulations are CPU hungy, but there's nothing to add to the one I have installed. Well yes, the Athlon XP 2600+ but that one is rare and not speeding anything up over the 2400+ which I have installed.

Thank's so far for all your advices and hints !

Well for the AGP slot, Tom's Hardware rated the ATI Radeon HD 3850 the most powerful available in Dec. '08.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-graphics,2086-6.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-graphics,2086-7.html

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Thanks.

In the article it reads

It’s a bit too powerful, in fact, to be properly utilized on the single-core CPUs that are typically paired with this platform.

Do you think such a powerful card would be challenged in such a system like mine?

Would I get a significant boost in fps?

Only if graphics are the bottleneck. And even if the graphics is the bottleneck currently it is quite possible you'll hit a "new" bottleneck very soon after in FPS count. If that was in any way intelligible.

I am not sure about how to predict that though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester