Vista 32 or 64

threadkill

Did a few searches and did not see anything on the benefits of Vista32 versus Vista64. Thought I’d start a new thread. Pardon if this is a dup.

I am currently running WinXP, but want to take advantage of the increased frame rates Vista offers via the Affinity fix. This machine is dedicated to Black Shark and Arma; maybe a few other games in the future.

Will Vista32 provide all that the 64bit version provides, sans the memory handling (understand that 64 handles better or allows more). Are there any other advantages/disadvantages of using Vista 64? I’d read that finding 64bit drivers can be difficult.

CPU is a Core 2 Quad (soon installing a Core 2 Duo). SLI capable for when this is supported.

Considering ED even said they have more hurry for supporting 64 bit over multithreading (real multicore support) I might get a 64 bit OS myself. Also, it seems the affinity trick gives a bit better perfomance in 64 bit than in 32 bits.

I don't think there are problems finding 64 bit drivers nowadays, except if you're using old hardware.

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

64-bit drivers are fairly easy to get now. They were a bitch earlier on but I haven't run into any difficulties at all for my hardware.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

The main reason you should consider a 64-bit OS, whether it be XP64 or Vista64, is that you can address more than 3GB of RAM. 32-bit OS's can only address 3GB of RAM. And given the ongoing need for memory utilization, this is really not even a question, i.e. get Vista64, period. I have been using Vista64 for a year and have not had any real program incompatiblity or driver issues. I am a microsoft partner and MCSE, and have been a network engineer for 20 years.

You will be way better off going with Vista64 now and soon you will be going with Windows7-64.

Edited by pbsmgm

Asus X99 II, i7-6850k, GTX 1080, 32GB RAM, M.2/SSD Drives, Win10-64

50 fps on Vista64 at 1920X1200 with everything on high except water and using SIMMOD textures. Performance on Winxp on the same hardware without the simmod textures was around 35fps. I run the Symantec Endpoint client on this host.

ScreenShot_006.jpg

ScreenShot_005.jpg

Edited by AlphaInfinity

As much as I have tested both Symantec and McAfee over every single Windows OS with every single version of each anti-virus program, I hate to say that they all still suck. They still have too much overhead and are way too intrusive on performance, etc. in my opinion. So over the past year, I finally succumbed to Microsoft Onecare, which isn't nearly as robust as the above apps, but at least I can funtion on my pc without any real performance degradation.

Asus X99 II, i7-6850k, GTX 1080, 32GB RAM, M.2/SSD Drives, Win10-64

As much as I have tested both Symantec and McAfee over every single Windows OS with every single version of each anti-virus program, I hate to say that they all still suck. They still have too much overhead and are way too intrusive on performance, etc. in my opinion. So over the past year, I finally succumbed to Microsoft Onecare, which isn't nearly as robust as the above apps, but at least I can funtion on my pc without any real performance degradation.

I monitor theseprocesses on my host and this is what they use on average(this is over a three week period):

SMC.exe Symantec CMC Sync 3,652k

SMCGui.exe Symantec CMC SmcGui--2,480k

RTVScan---2,020k

ProtectionUtilSurrogate.exe*32 2,912k

There is 0 CPU utlization for all of these processes currently and the processes will only spike during the intrusive nightly scan that I have scheduled at 3 a.m. So, with a machine that has 3 GIGS of RAM, I don't find that this is hindering performance at all. Hell, a Firefox window with a few tabs open uses more resources. I also run this same client on 3 laptops, 2 rack mounted servers and 4 workstations with no problems and those machines are much slower and have less ram. I prefer to have a more robust enterpise solution on my machines and I have seen 0 proof that the client I chose causes any problems for the end users(including me).

Edited by AlphaInfinity

I am using MS OneCare which is fantastic, doesn't slow the system down at all and only starts doing stuff on its own when your not at the KB.

Mithandra

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

of course Vista x64. you can doubble framerate setting affinity to both CPU cores.

[sIGPIC]http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6720/avatarpolishairforce.png[/sIGPIC]

system specs:

mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35DS4 rev 2.1, CPU: Intel C2D E8400@4GHz, GPU: Nvidia 8800GTS 512, RAM: Kingston HyperX 4x 1GB 1066MHz Dual Channel, HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 640 GB x2, sound: Realtek Azalia ALC889A + SB Audigy + Dolby Digital/DTS external encoder/tuner, display: Asus VW222U 22', case: Raidmax Smilodon, headphones: Sennheiser HD650, stick: Saitek Cyborg Evo, Track IR4 Pro + TrackClip Pro, O/S: Windows 7/Vista x64

64-bit is way to go, and I would definatly recommend either Kaspersky Antivirus 2009 or Eset NOD32 Antivirus 4.0. I personally prefer Kaspersky Anti-Virus for its load of features and ease of use. NOD32 is probably the lightest AV software you can get on the market, while KAV 2009 is much lighter then the previous 7.0 version. KAV still has one of the best detection rate out there. Last time I checked, Microsoft OneCare failed the most basics tests and is definatly not something I would recommend. You can go to AV-Comparatives and compare antivirus softwares for yourself.

I only recommend these 2 to all my clients, and both are running 100% fine on 64-bit OS.

Regards,

=ACU=Tech

TECH Systemes

Computer 1 Computer 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

32-bit OS's can only address 3GB of RAM.

:megalol::megalol::megalol::megalol::megalol:

It's a known fact that 32-bit platforms have limitations when it comes to address volumes of memory larger or equal to 4 GB. And in this respect, the x86 editions of Windows Vista are no exception. Vista will literally eat up RAM, swallowing a consistent amount, larger than 500 MB in the scenario where you would run a 32-bit edition of the operating system on a configuration with 4 GB of RAM.

Windows Vista's memory manager in the x86 variants of the operating system is restricted to 4GB of memory due to the limitations of the 32-bit hardware. The 32-bit address range cannot be filled exclusively with RAM, because the physical address space needs to be divided among the hardware in your system.

Due to these limitations, 32-bit Windows Vista will only be able to address approximately 3.5 GB of RAM. However, there is a way around this. One that will enable you to enjoy the full extent of 4 GB of memory. Still, you should be aware of the fact that in the vicinity of 4 GB of memory, 32-bit Windows Vista will not manage RAM efficiently.

If you indeed want or need to use more than 4 GB of RAM, then you should consider switching to 64-bit platforms. The 64-bit editions of Windows Vista deliver support for as much as 128 GB of memory, so you can go all out.

:harhar:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Isn't there also a case of 32bit windows only being able to manage 2gb processes? I am a bit fuzzy on it but I have vague recollections. Anyone able to elaborate on it or just point out how false it is? :P

Also, leonsilver, did it boost your ego to be real rude to that guy?

Finally, funkee, that applies to 32-bit Vista as well. As far as I know it's between XP and Vista that that difference comes into play, not between the editions of Vista.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

...As far as I know it's between XP and Vista that difference comes into play, not between the editions of Vista.

as far as I know, you cannot do this (doubble framerate by setting affinity) on any 32bit system.

about protection - Eset Nod32 + Outpost Firewall Pro - the best choice imho.

[sIGPIC]http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6720/avatarpolishairforce.png[/sIGPIC]

system specs:

mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35DS4 rev 2.1, CPU: Intel C2D E8400@4GHz, GPU: Nvidia 8800GTS 512, RAM: Kingston HyperX 4x 1GB 1066MHz Dual Channel, HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 640 GB x2, sound: Realtek Azalia ALC889A + SB Audigy + Dolby Digital/DTS external encoder/tuner, display: Asus VW222U 22', case: Raidmax Smilodon, headphones: Sennheiser HD650, stick: Saitek Cyborg Evo, Track IR4 Pro + TrackClip Pro, O/S: Windows 7/Vista x64

as far as I know, you cannot do this (doubble framerate by setting affinity) on any 32bit system.

about protection - Eset Nod32 + Outpost Firewall Pro - the best choice imho.

No, it's about XP vs Vista. 64 bit "may" give you a little bit more, but the huge advantadge is going from XP to Vista (using affinity trick gives me 60% more fps in my case in Vista 32). There are some users thou are getting also huge boosts in XP (32 or 64 bit), but they are the fewer.

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Yeah, I basically doubled my frame rates between XP Pro 32 and Vista Ultimate 64 using the affinity script. (Same PC, dual boot config).

Im creating a tripple boot this weekend and installing Win7 Ultimate 64 bit, I will then compare that to Vista later this week.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle