Questions regarding Hover-Check / Takeoff

GuntiNDDS

Got four questions regarding hover-check and takeoff:

A. is it legitimate to use the AP Altitute-Hold for doing the hover-check ?

B. on page 10-5 in the manual "Vertical takeoff using ground effect" it sais:

1. do a hover-flight in about 2-3 meters

2. request takeoff from the tower.

i am unable to perform that. i can only get a reply for a takeoff request from the tower, when i am on the ground. when i am in a hover-flight, and request takeoff, i get no response from the tower. what should i do ?

C. on the same page it sais "what you should do during a hover-check",

last point: "in a height of 4 meters balance the helicopter and trim it. then engage the auto hover mode".

when i engage auto-hover in a 4 meters height, the auto-hover deactivates all off the AP's except Altitute-Hold and the helicopter goes crazy. what should i do ?

D. on the same page it sais that for both, the vertical-takeoff's, its adviced to use full engine-power. does that mean, that for doing the takeoffs, i should increase the throttle-levers from the AUTO-position, to the maximum position ?

thanks.

A. The primary purpose of a hover check is to see what collective setting is required for hovering which the ALT hold kinda messes up since the ALT hold messes with the blade pitch to keep altitude. The other reasons for the hover check are weight and balance, normal control response, and some systems checks. I would say that you should fly the helicopter manually during the hover check (except for the auto-hover test portion, remember to turn off the ALT button after auto-hover is turned off!) since that gives the most benefit that the hover check was designed for.

B. A hover check (in game) means to hover low, do the check, then immediately land again once the hover check is complete. I think in real life you would maintain the hover and ask for a take off mid-air (same for hover taxiing). Perhaps ED can address this.

C. You should be able to engage auto-hover at 4m. Going crazy is the result of I think insufficient INU align time.

D. Nah, Auto is maximum unless you have an engine failure or something. The manual might mean that you need maximum engine power like "the engines should be operating well with no problems." Maybe they mean throttles to max/emergency but I think that if they meant throttles they would be specific in their wording. We both know that throttles to auto provides ample safety margin when it comes to take off power.

I am having the exact same oddities.

However I did notice that when you go into hover really low to the ground (like 1-2 meters height) the tower will automatically grant you take off clearance once you are in a fairly stable hover.

It would be nice though if we could get a response from the tower when requesting take off while in hover. Even a "negative" would just do. Not getting a reply whatsoever seems a bit unrealistic. :huh:

Also when you are on a pad, I noticed that take-off clearance is never given upon request, not so far as I tried the game (only have it for about a week now).

I don't understand the auto hover problem at low altitude, since after having flown a bit you can engage the auto hover without a problem. So I'm not really sure what is up there. When you hover a bit higher, it has no problem maintaining hover. So I am not sure if the INU has anything to do with it.

So the safest thing I have found to solve this is:

1) Request controlled hover.

2) Perform hover at really low alt. (max. 2 mtrs.)

3) Expect auto clearance for take-off from tower once you hover.

If not, just land it on the pad again and try again, either control hover or direct take-off.

Also when you are on a pad, I noticed that take-off clearance is never given upon request, not so far as I tried the game

It is if you have the appropriate units set up at the pad (try placing a CP SKP-11 ATC Mobile Command Post by the pad & asking again).

There is a minimum altitude below which the altitude channel of the AP should not be engaged. I can't remember off the top of my head what it is, but it's more than 4m...

Cheers.

hi, thanks for your answeres.

Brach: how do you notice that the tower has granted you auto clearance for takeoff ?

Well, what I noticed is that once I am hovering more or less stable (not drifting too much) the tower tells me that I'm cleared for take-off, even though I did not request it. Odd maybe, but very practical because it makes sense to do so after an established hover.

I have no idea how this is handled in reality in the russian military, but I imagine that officially one would have to ask for permission first. After all, I could just do the hover check, land and then wait for another 30 mins before I really want to take off.

Also, direct take off clearance has never been given to me when I'm on a landing pad. When I'm on an apron on an airport it does work though.

I figured that on an airport I'm "supposed" to do it that way, so maybe that is why it works like that.

But I'd be the first to admit that it doesn't really work the way I would expect.

It is if you have the appropriate units set up at the pad (try placing a CP SKP-11 ATC Mobile Command Post by the pad & asking again).

There is a minimum altitude below which the altitude channel of the AP should not be engaged. I can't remember off the top of my head what it is, but it's more than 4m...

Ah, that would explain a lot. :) I'll try the mobile command post for sure, now I'm curious. :joystick: :D

thats interesting.

i did many hovers on airports, but i never got takeoff clearance like that.

Well, what I noticed is that once I am hovering more or less stable (not drifting too much) the tower tells me that I'm cleared for take-off, even though I did not request it. Odd maybe, but very practical because it makes sense to do so after an established hover.

I have no idea how this is handled in reality in the russian military, but I imagine that officially one would have to ask for permission first. After all, I could just do the hover check, land and then wait for another 30 mins before I really want to take off.

Also, direct take off clearance has never been given to me when I'm on a landing pad. When I'm on an apron on an airport it does work though.

I figured that on an airport I'm "supposed" to do it that way, so maybe that is why it works like that.

But I'd be the first to admit that it doesn't really work the way I would expect.

You sure it's you that's getting the automatic clearance? I've noticed that when I'm in a mission with wingmen, and I take off without asking the tower (which I usually do, cuz I'm lazy like that), my wingman gets clearance immediately upon my leaving the ground, even though he didn't ask for it. At first I thought the tower was talking to me, but you can tell by the number, your wingy is your number +1.

You sure it's you that's getting the automatic clearance? I've noticed that when I'm in a mission with wingmen, and I take off without asking the tower (which I usually do, cuz I'm lazy like that), my wingman gets clearance immediately upon my leaving the ground, even though he didn't ask for it. At first I thought the tower was talking to me, but you can tell by the number, your wingy is your number +1.

Hmm, let me check that one next time I try it. I'm still trying to get everything under control, so I might have missed that detail. :P :joystick: