Optimizing Vista/Readyboost

When I first built this computer and installed Vista, I goofed around with the ReadyBoost a little. I figured, why not? I've got the thumb drives laying around anyway. Unfortunately, I never detected any performance difference, good or bad.

Your mileage may vary, however. This is a pretty nice rig I built for myself; on a more mid-range PC, maybe you'll notice some improvement. Especially if you're low on RAM, I guess, but RAM is so incredibly cheap lately, I say you're better off just upgrading that instead.

As I understand it only works if your system don't have enough RAM and if you using fast USB-drive — reading speed should be at least 3.5 MB/s; writing speed should be at least 2.5 MB/s. If not, you can even noticed decreasing of performance with using ReadyBoost function because losing time for transferring data to/from USB-drive.

Edited by Namenlos Ein

True dat-after some further reading, I gather it was intended for ram limited notebooks. if you have more than 1 gig of ram, it would probably hurt, as its slower tyhan an 7200 hd.

Edited by hassata

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When I had 2 gig of RAM and a fast USB stick in ready-boost I noticed less thrashing and faster task-switching (and quitting games!).

Since upgrading to 4gig RAM I notice no difference - I guess nothing much needs swapping in and out, and so the flash memory is not needed.

EDIT - Also it's worth noting that 2 gig of extra RAM is about the same price as a decently fast USB stick anyway - so there's not a whole lot of point unless you're out of RAM slots/running a laptop or something.

after some reading, it also seems that no paging file with 4 gigs is the way to go.

This is totally wrong you should never do that. A game or an application can not use all your ram and for stability issues you should always use a page file.

Its logical to think that if you don't have a page file and lots of ram, an application or a game or even windows will use the ram but that isn't how it works.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

You may be right, although there seems to be alot of argument both ways re 4g ram and page file. i think im putting mine back in. the above cited guides says:

"The Page File

1. The average user is best served by LEAVING THE PAGE FILE ALONE. Vista does an excellent job of managing the page file settings for most people.

2. For 99.999% of the configurations on the planet you need a page file. Vista itself wants one and a number of programs out there do too. If you think you can run your machine optimally without a page file you do not understand how Vista (or any NT based OS works).

(Please don’t email me to argue this, I won’t respond. Find a forum to argue about it.)

3. The recommendations below are not designed to give you the highest scores on a synthetic benchmark but to give you the best overall performance for your system (including stability). The size of hard drives today are huge and making the page file a little larger than it "needs" to be hurts nothing and you’re covered if you’re ever doing something that requires more.

One hard drive:

If you only have one hard drive or your other drives are significantly slower than your OS drive.

1 - Leave it alone. (recommended)

2 - Make it static. Vista has the ability to resize the page file on the fly if need be (usually it isn't). If the page file is resized and then later returned to normal your disk may become fragmented. (please note I said "disk" not "page file" and "may" not "will") If you have the disk space and you're anal about such things you can adjust the minimum and max to the same setting. The size (min and max) should be whatever the Recommended: size is in the Virtual Memory window."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]