Why can't i ascend??

Hey guys, i've been playing this game for ages now, and i've not encountered this issue before.

There's this one mission that's really stupidly long, it's like an hour and a half. It takes like an hour just to fly from the base to the ingress point.

As you near the ingress point, you have to climb over these huuuge snowy mountains, but i just cannot get enough altitude in order to do it. I get to the point where i am almost able to clear them, but then my ascension meter levels off, and starts to drop. The collective is at max, and the set limit warning lights are active. If i pull up on the collective any more the system starts beeping at me signaling a critical issue is occuring. If i force them too much of course the engine will fail and i'll come crashing down. This is undesirable considering how much time i've wasted just getting that far. (this has already killed me about 6 times and i'm so sick of how many hours i've lost as a result, as there's no way to save).

Even if i am perfectly stationary i cannot gain altitude to the level required. I don't have this trouble at lower altitudes.

Your best speed for gaining altitude is about 130 km/hr, so go that fast and start climbing as soon as you take off and just keep climbing. Don't wait until you get to the mountain to start climbing. If you are getting power limit lights, you're pulling too much power. You don't need that much power to clear the mountains, just start climbing earlier. If you are close and can't get over the mountain, just climb in circles at 130 km/hr until you are high enough to clear it.

• Like 1

heh...I think we all hit the mountain on that one the first couple of times...

Hehe i hit the mountain too and as i was ready to open a new thread and i said what the heck lets try search and bingo i pass the mountain. Nice community great "game"!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

I call it helicopter slalom. But for best result Ka-50 need be equipped with the ski landing gear.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=653596&postcount=5065

Lol this is from Dark Sector wright?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

Your best speed for gaining altitude is about 130 km/hr, so go that fast and start climbing as soon as you take off and just keep climbing. Don't wait until you get to the mountain to start climbing. If you are getting power limit lights, you're pulling too much power. You don't need that much power to clear the mountains, just start climbing earlier. If you are close and can't get over the mountain, just climb in circles at 130 km/hr until you are high enough to clear it.

Just a thought here.. Doesn't the HUD display ground speed instead of airspeed? Wouldn't you want to maintain 130km/h airspeed for the best climb rate, using the airspeed indicator?

Yes, the HUD shows your ground speed, as does the ABRIS if you look at it. The Shkval and of course the airspeed indicator show airspeed. When I say you should maintain 130 km/hr, I mean airspeed as shown on the Shkval or the airspeed indicator, not on the HUD or ABRIS. Thanks for pointing that out, a very often overlooked bit of info.

I'm actually kind of surprised that it seems so uncommon for people to get over there on the first try - I got stuck and did the usual errors but was then struck by the fact that I have wings and they need airflow, speeded up and it worked. :P

Then again, I always had a fetish for underpowered aircraft like the J-8 and I-153 in IL-2 so finding my optimal climb is like the first thing I ever do. :P

In that mission though, I did re-fly it and you should be fine even if you do use a higher speed as you climb. No need to do the slow 130km/h climb if you don't want to spend as much time on the flight - I did it with an average somewhere between 200 and 220. Your air cover on the other side is trigger-based though so if you want better fuel margins you can take your time.

(At least, I seem to recall it being said that one would get better fuel economy if sticking to the 130km/h, please correct me if I'm wrong there.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester