Mission editor trigger

I'd like to trigger a start of an Su-27 flight from parking. The trigger should be an enemy aircraft entering the trigger zone. How do I go about it ? :(

So far the flight just starts their taxiing immediately after the mission start... I don't see any action which would say "let these guys start their mission" after the trigger.

Thanx for your help.

...well someone has to move the mud!!!

Did you try to set a trigger zone so that the SU27 to Activate when unit X is in zone X (X= whatever you named them)?

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

Remember to set a start delay time for any unit you want to activate with a trigger. Should be the field below the waypoints. If you leave that empty (=0) then the unit will activate imediatly with mission start instead of waiting for the trigger. I usually set a 23 hours delay for all 'to be triggered' units.

• Like 1

...well, no...I believe the delay just needs to be such that it will not expire before the trigger conditions are met. 23 hours is just a convinenient figure to use because ...well...its a pretty long time for a mission to run ;) .. might be wrong tho?..

Davek,

Make sure you set up your coalitions as you want them.

Create the friendly (?) su27 and make sure it's starting waypoint is "takeoff from parking" , and that is has other waypoints to travel too.

In the start delay time for the su27 set 23 hours (or like...whatever :P )

Create the enemy unit / group that you want to activate the trigger , then create the trigger zone , and set the area you want the trigger zone to cover.

Make sure to name it something usefull like "su27_activate_trigger_zone").

Create a trigger condition with an action type of "activate group".

Specify the trigger zone you created (su27_activate_trigger_zone)

Specify the enemy unit that will activate the trigger, and the group to activate(the friendly Su27 unit).

Once the specified enemy unit enters that trigger zone, the trigger condition will activate the su27 group (that was on hold for 23 hours) and it will appear, taxi and takeoff along it's mission route.

To help you test / troubleshoot , add in a "message" action to the trigger also , so you can see a message appear when the trigger is activated..you can take it out after you have everything up and running.

Thank you guys, I've got it working. I guess I'm one of those people who look into the manual as a last resort. Otherwise the mission editor is pretty self-explanatory.

Thanx again. May gods of flying bless your rotors! :)

Another question in a similar vein - if I have understood it correctly the above causes the Su-27's to appear when the trigger is triggered. What if you want to already have them yet let the trigger activate a waypoint for them?

In my case, what would help me the most would be things like have some armor that you are to rendezvouz with for a CAS mission, and you'll then want the armor to be present so that you can find it and when you are over it you'll have a trigger activating their first waypoint so that they'll start moving.

The scenario would be doable anyway but would either require a large trigger zone so that they start moving when you are close, or that they just pop out of nowhere below you. Most of the times the former would work well enough but it would be awesome to be able to have them sitting there until you arrive. Especially since it would also allow scenarios like a bunch of ground units sitting on the front line waiting for you to clear out some obstacles.

Similar workaround exists for that by just placing them further back to give the player some time to clean house in, but if the player then runs into trouble or is just plain slow you could get a whole bunch of units happily running into an obvious death-trap instead of looking at the situation and saying "let's give that looser a few more minutes shall we?"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

In the case of ground units that is easily doable. Have them inactive as described above but check the 'visible before start' box for that unit. That way it will allready be visible and not pop up from nowhere. Be aware though that the unit will still be inactive, that means it wont shoot and AI will not attack it (though the player can still destroy it).

• Like 1

Because that would cause them to spawn out of nowhere right in front of the player, as if starship Enterprise just beamed them down. :P

Going to try M-bot's suggestion though, thanks. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Yeah, I had completely overlooked the Visible Before Start variable. Makes it work the way I want it. :)

I also took the opportunity of that test flight to verify that a T-80 going OnRoad will indeed stop if you land your chopper 2 meters in front of him. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

That's a nice piece of reality. Now if only my insurgents were actually walking, not sliding on their knees down the hill. :-) As usually, I must have done something wrong, will experiment further.

I have a vague recollection of someone mentioning that they wish infantry would actually walk properly instead of always having bent knees. I haven't tested this myself but the risk is that you're stuck with them that way. :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Infantry will walk. You just have to set a realistic speed for them to walk.

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

But I want my soldiers running at 200km/h!

Actually, I've never placed anything but stationary manpads on my maps so it never occured to me to check that out. Cheers for the idea. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

That's a nice piece of reality. Now if only my insurgents were actually walking, not sliding on their knees down the hill. :-) As usually, I must have done something wrong, will experiment further.

This is a stange aspect of infantry options.

I may be be wrong, but I'm pretty sure all non-russian infanty, except manpads, will not walk or run, though they will move.

Russian paratroopers on the other hand run very well.

E8600 Asus P5E Radeon 4870x2 Corsair 4gb Velociraptor 300gb Neopower 650 NZXT Tempest Vista64 Samsung 30" 2560x1600