Mapping Saitek X52 in DCS

Brach

Hi all,

Well, to start; I have tried the SST software from Saitek, both the latest version and the beta. Both have some serious errors in there which don't allow to create a proper profile for DCS since the software doesn't properly support the modifier keys. The Left-Alt key is not simulated at all even (simulates a Menu key instead of the alt key in my case), and the profile for some reason also creates some stutter in the game itself.

For these reasons I want to map all my buttons in the DCS software itself.

There is one problem though: it doesn't automatically recognize all my buttons. :cry:

When I go through the drop down list of all buttons I would think they are all in there (the list is huge), but I have no clue which button stands for which on my joystick or throttle.

Does any one know of a mapping chart for the X52? What I mean with this is a table in which it makes a clear reference to which code stands for which button on my controls.

To give you an idea: now it has 4 hats defined, while in reality the X52 has only 3 and a virual mouse. I recon the 4th might be the mouse, but I'm not sure. Also, there are two mouse buttons, a wheel, rotaries, etc.

The rotaries are for sure not recognized, not even in the axis configuration section. I'm hoping that they are potentially identified as buttons though. The question is which?

Now I have a list with button1 through button120 or so. :music_whistling: Anyone know which button is button86? :P Indeed, not very practical.

Anyway, any info would be most helpful. Maybe we could turn this into a X52 mapping thread for all those users out there who also use a X52. Those must be quite a few.

The controls are great, never had a problem with them. Now it is just a matter of getting them configured properly. :joystick:

So don't be shy, please share any info you guys got. Hopefully it will make my mapping life a bit easier. :smilewink:

Hi - I also map the X52 (pro) from the game. In order to map everything properly, you need to go into the SST and create a blank profile. In this profile, remove all shift states, and unbind the mouse functions etc. This way you will have a truly blank profile.

Back in the game settings page, remember the following useful features:

1. Pressing any key on the controller jumps to the first thing that key is bound to - use this to clear any initial/default assignments, before starting your profile.

2. Pressing any keyboard key jumps to that function - use this if you've read about 'g for gear up' for example, but can't find it in the list.

3. Double-click on any function to open the 'new binding' dialog box. In here you can press any joystick button to see immediately what Black Shark calls that button.

Hi,

Not necesarily...I map my X52 fully in game and do not load any SST profile.

*edit* sory, hadnt fully read Glottis post before posting, so let me just re-inforce what Glottis has said allready except for having a blank profile *edit*

Anyway, it is very easy to map the buttons you need!

Go into the controller options in game, double click on the item you want to map, select the "button" field, and press the button on your joystick! .. it will automatically map that button.

If you want to have a modifier, then first Add a new Modifier by the same way (there is a button at the bottom for modifiers)..in my case, I have the pinkie button set to be a modifier.

In teh button assignment secion, there is a seperate section for modifiers..once you have defined the modifier button you want once and saved it, then you can set the modifier by just pressing the button on the joystick same as a normal button.

very easy..the trick is to go into the button assingmend screen, rather than trying to guess what button is what from the huge dropdown.

Nice one Glottis, :thumbup:

That freed up a couple of buttons. ;)

Now if only I would be able to get rotary buttons to work as switches instead of slider types.... :huh:

So for I'm still not getting those recognized by the game. At least not automatically.

Any suggestions?

@ nemises: Well, these things I already knew so far, but thanks for the tips anyway. :smilewink:

See, the thing is, that certain buttons or rotaries cannot be assigned inside the DCS software. Or at least not that I have been able to discover.

I'd love to be able to use the "mode" switch on the joystick, through which we could theoretically have 3 times as many functions on the controls (I'd imagine a seperate take-off/landing mode for which specific functions could be assigned to buttons in that mode).

I think due to the tips from glottis I can actually use all the 'clickable' buttons. This leaves the rotary switches. In the SST one can define them as buttons instead of 'sliders'. I was wondering if the DCS mapping software allows one to do the same thing.

And why are there so many buttons in the drop down list? Is that because in reality they created input for all buttons in all mode combinations (1, 2 and 3)? And if so, which code stands for which mode?

To give you guys an idea:

I find in the axis commands list:

joy_aslider1, and

joy_aslider2

but also

joy_fslider1

joy_fslider2

joy_slider1

joy_slider2

joy_vslider1

joy_vslider2

However, there is only one slider I can actually select: joy_slider1. So, which ones are the others? The rotaries don't trigger their selection when I turn them, however they are there in the X52 profile.

Are these 'bogus' definitions? Should they work but they are just not automatically recognized when you use them?

Many questions and little answers. :D Anyway, you guys get my point. The list with the buttons is even longer and less clear. I cannot imagine that the guys at DCS made lists like these that don't make sense. It is a bit hard to figure out what is supposed to be what and what we can or cannot do with them.

I come from an IT and programmer background myself, and we always used to reason: if it is not to be used, don't put it in there. Hence I expect all these functions to actually be 'usable', I just need a guide on what they represent, and why lots of them obviously are not recognized automatically when you select a button or a rotary button on the controls.

But keep them coming those suggestions. The more the marrier. :thumbup:

The rotaries are treated as axis. The only way you can utilise these is under the axis page in DCS or map it in SST

In the game they are:

joy_ry

joy_rx

You need to move the rotaries quite a bit to get detected in the axis page.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

The rotaries are treated as axis. The only way you can utilise these is under the axis page in DCS or map it in SST

In the game they are:

joy_ry

joy_rx

You need to move the rotaries quite a bit to get detected in the axis page.

Ah, thanks mate, that was just the info I needed. :thumbup:

I'll put myself today to turning those 'till I go nuts and see if I can manage to get them detected also. :smilewink:

Now I need to figure out if I can get the modes switch to work in some way also. :book:

Hi all,

Well, to start; I have tried the SST software from Saitek, both the latest version and the beta. Both have some serious errors in there which don't allow to create a proper profile for DCS since the software doesn't properly support the modifier keys. The Left-Alt key is not simulated at all even (simulates a Menu key instead of the alt key in my case), and the profile for some reason also creates some stutter in the game itself.

For these reasons I want to map all my buttons in the DCS software itself.

There is one problem though: it doesn't automatically recognize all my buttons. :cry:

When I go through the drop down list of all buttons I would think they are all in there (the list is huge), but I have no clue which button stands for which on my joystick or throttle.

Does any one know of a mapping chart for the X52? What I mean with this is a table in which it makes a clear reference to which code stands for which button on my controls.

To give you an idea: now it has 4 hats defined, while in reality the X52 has only 3 and a virual mouse. I recon the 4th might be the mouse, but I'm not sure. Also, there are two mouse buttons, a wheel, rotaries, etc.

The rotaries are for sure not recognized, not even in the axis configuration section. I'm hoping that they are potentially identified as buttons though. The question is which?

Now I have a list with button1 through button120 or so. :music_whistling: Anyone know which button is button86? :P Indeed, not very practical.

Anyway, any info would be most helpful. Maybe we could turn this into a X52 mapping thread for all those users out there who also use a X52. Those must be quite a few.

The controls are great, never had a problem with them. Now it is just a matter of getting them configured properly. :joystick:

So don't be shy, please share any info you guys got. Hopefully it will make my mapping life a bit easier. :smilewink:

hello, i had my fair share of problems with the saitek software to but i think i have a fix for u, first uninstall all saitek software present by going to remove programs in config screen.

when done unplug the stick.

restart system.

next if u previously had sst installed go to hardware manager.

uninstal everything that has saitek entries (saitek bus controller and human interface devices [only the saitek entries not the rest!]

next go see if there's still a windows/temp/saitek directory,

delete the saitek folder.

restart again and do not plug in the stick yet.

i think these where all the steps required but u might want to google on uninstalling saitek software.

next download the latest drivers and THE CORRESPONDING SST SOFTWARE.

GET CORRESPONDING VERSIONS FOR BOTH THE DRIVERS AND THE SST.

next install the drivers, plug in stick when told by the installer and continue.

when thats done restart and install sst software, now if your running vista chances are nothing seems to happen, you need to perform one more odd step...

go to the windows temp directory and go to saitek folder,

from there browse to this location:

../Windows/Temp/Saitek/Saitek_Cyborg_Command_Unit_SD6_32_Software/00000006/

so not the x52 entry....

run this entry:

software_loc_9.exe

now you should be done (maybe 1 restart is needed)

good luck ! I use the sst software without any prob, giving me the benefit of using the pinky as a shift button, i have acces to 3 modes (in each mode i can program keys differently and use different shift states). and last but not least if i forgot what button 312903 exactly did i can just check what it says in my MFD.

so..while the programming function in dcs is extremely user friendly and works pretty well, I still recommend using sst software if u own an x52..simply because otherwise u could have bought a more simple stick, mfd is useless without sst, not sure if its possible to program a shift button or use all modes in dcs config either. give reinstalling a try! (try finding latest sst software first and then search the corresponding drivers for it).

Edited by hyperfighter
spelling ellols

Hyperfighter, mate!

I'm for sure going to try that. Obviously using the SST software would be best since it gives us access to so many more options.

I'll get on it tonight and let you guys know how things went. Thanks again mate, great tip. :thumbup:

Ok, I'm stunned, it is working. :D

This also solved my problem where the LAlt key wasn't simulated properly. No clue what the cause of that one was, but now it is.

Ok, I'm off programming my profile. At least this way is a bit more user friendly.

Once I'm done and have a bit of spare time on my hands I might compile a howto for other users with the same difficulties that I had.

Thanks a ton for the tips guys, this really helped me out a lot. Soon I'll be flying so much more smoothly. :P :pilotfly:

Edit:

Well, it seems I'm running into some problems still. Not all key combinations are working and neither are all buttons doing what they are supposed to. I'll need to try out some more things still, but will report my findings once I feel that I covered all options.

Edited by Brach

glad to have helped u out

edit: ill check again later to see what problems maintain, not sure if i can help u out, but ill try. if u need an example, or want to test my profile (i am sure it works for me) u can try it.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8MOQS3GZ

Thanks a ton mate, I'll give it a try for sure.

It turns out to be a bit tricky, since some mappings don't seem to work, and it is not clear to me why. I really want to go through this a bit more thorougly to see what might be going on before I decide it is not working.

For practice I did try to map everything in the DCS software, and I have to admit that I can manage to map all needed fuctionality (mapped after how the real cyclic and collective controls are configured in the KA-50). However, the rotary sliders and the one slider cannot be used. This is where I miss the ability to define them as 'virtual' switches like one can with the SST software.

At this point I'm leaning towards trying to make a combination of both. But I'm not sure that will work properly.

Just to give you an idea, on the stick I mapped the A fire button to toggle the gauges lighting (like in the real KA-50). For some reason though, that key combination doesn't work when I have a profile active. Not even when I punch in those keys on the keyboard. I'm really baffled as to why this would happen. I'm thinking a software or driver conflict might be the culprit. But since I have quite a bit of stuff like that on my computer it will take me some time to figure that one out.

The other thing is that the 'clutch' button on the throttle of the X52 can be mapped through the SST software, but once you run DCS, that button is disabled and doesn't do anything but make a few leds on the joystick flicker. Also a pretty strange one if you ask me.

So anyway, this will probably take me some days to figure out (don't have that much spare time on my hands) but I will definately check what I can and report on my progress. Especially since there must be others trying to battle similar problems as well. Maybe in the end we can find a workable solution, also for others.

I'll be back. :pilotfly:

Hi - I also map the X52 (pro) from the game. In order to map everything properly, you need to go into the SST and create a blank profile. In this profile, remove all shift states, and unbind the mouse functions etc. This way you will have a truly blank profile.

Could anyone post a fully blank Profile please?

no such thing,, :huh:you just make one..

and if you insist on taking a profile and deleting all the keys, you gotta do it yourself, unless you want to pay someone to do it for you.. :doh:

Edited by Ramstein

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

hi brach, i deleted every joystick setting in dcs except the axis, the rest is mapped in sst, the clutch button cant be programmed, it does more the making leds flicker, when u press the clutch and press another key u get info on the mfd i think, there is a workaround to be able to map the clutch button but involves modding in the registry, its annoying its not mappable but i can do without it, buttons enough on the saitek..

theres a post on the forum on how to map the clutch (if u must...own risk though).

i suspect the non working key combos are caused because u use bot dcs and sst to map, i think u should pick either one and prog all the button combos in there.progging only axis in dcs rest in saiteck gives no probs, i do recommend setting some deadzone (using saitek config screen) on the twist etc so the ap wont pick up unintended input on rudder.

just open profile editor, do nothing and save profile as (eg blankprofile)

and u got a totally blank profile...not sure what u want to do with it because when u just open the profile editor u start with a blank profile ^^

Zitat:

Zitat von glottis viewpost.gif

I understood, that in an "standard" new pofile, there are some things left, wich hafe to be taken out.

I think if you delete all the shift-state's , then the pinkie button becomes button 36 (?) , instead of a SST shift button..havent tested tho, but thats what i understand from previous postings

The thing is, when you delete all shift states in the SST editor, and use that profile (with no definitions whatsoever), you free up the following buttons for usage inside DCS:

Pinky button

Mode button

Mouse fire

Scroll button (or second mouse button)

Without an empty SST profile these cannot be used through DCS because they for some reason are not freed up by the SST software. Also, not having a profile loaded will not allow one to assign these buttons in DCS.

I don't know exactly why, but it seems this is the way it works, and I can confirm that with an empty profile active the above mentioned buttons can be assigned in DCS without problems.

Thanks a ton mate, I'll give it a try for sure.

It turns out to be a bit tricky, since some mappings don't seem to work, and it is not clear to me why. I really want to go through this a bit more thorougly to see what might be going on before I decide it is not working.

For practice I did try to map everything in the DCS software, and I have to admit that I can manage to map all needed fuctionality (mapped after how the real cyclic and collective controls are configured in the KA-50). However, the rotary sliders and the one slider cannot be used. This is where I miss the ability to define them as 'virtual' switches like one can with the SST software.

At this point I'm leaning towards trying to make a combination of both. But I'm not sure that will work properly.

Just to give you an idea, on the stick I mapped the A fire button to toggle the gauges lighting (like in the real KA-50). For some reason though, that key combination doesn't work when I have a profile active. Not even when I punch in those keys on the keyboard. I'm really baffled as to why this would happen. I'm thinking a software or driver conflict might be the culprit. But since I have quite a bit of stuff like that on my computer it will take me some time to figure that one out.

The other thing is that the 'clutch' button on the throttle of the X52 can be mapped through the SST software, but once you run DCS, that button is disabled and doesn't do anything but make a few leds on the joystick flicker. Also a pretty strange one if you ask me.

So anyway, this will probably take me some days to figure out (don't have that much spare time on my hands) but I will definately check what I can and report on my progress. Especially since there must be others trying to battle similar problems as well. Maybe in the end we can find a workable solution, also for others.

I'll be back. :pilotfly:

to use the clutch button as programable you need tu turn off the clutch function in the joystick control panel. Right click the joystick icon on your windows taskbar and pick control panel. It is sort of hidden under the MFD page tab...., uncheck the "Enable Clutch mode.

In regards to maping multiple keystrokes to a key binding it is reverse of what it shows in the game config file. so if it says " A+rshift+alt " you need to set it as alt+rshift+A in your profile.

Edited by Slayer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

to use the clutch button as programable you need tu turn off the clutch function in the joystick control panel. Right click the joystick icon on your windows taskbar and pick control panel. It is sort of hidden under the MFD page tab...., uncheck the "Enable Clutch mode.

In regards to maping multiple keystrokes to a key binding it is reverse of what it shows in the game config file. so if it says " A+rshift+alt " you need to set it as alt+rshift+A in your profile.

Oh, Golden Tip about the clutch there mate! Thanks a lot. :thumbup:

The mutliple keystrokes I had already figured out, like what you are saying. That's not my issue really. The problem is that when I take the cockpit light switch LShift T (if I remember correctly) and program one of my buttons to send that to the computer, it in reality sends something different. I don't know what, but it doesn't fuction the way it is supposed to. At least not though the SST software.

My right shift key is not recognized at all by the SST software, which also provides some problems. Obviously there is no distinction between left and right shift buttons in my case. And yes, it's the most recent driver and accompanying SST software. Maybe it is related to Vista 64, which in the past had some problems with these kind of things.

For that reason I'm now trying to configure things solely through the DCS keymapper and see how far I can get with that. At least I know for sure that the buttons will do exactly as I assign them.

Programming through the SST software would be ideal, but so far it seems to me that there are still several bugs in there that don't permit you to program it completely to your heart's content.

I'm still trying out though. I don't want to give up that easily. :P

i use vista 32 version

saitek driver version 6.0.4.1

sst version 6.0.10.7

(although i am almost sure the installer versions where the same :s?)

i have no probs with it,

i dont think i have anything programmed using right shift, is it possible that the left shift shows up as Lshift and r shift just as shift? in that case it does recognize the difference.....

Oh, Golden Tip about the clutch there mate! Thanks a lot. :thumbup:

The mutliple keystrokes I had already figured out, like what you are saying. That's not my issue really. The problem is that when I take the cockpit light switch LShift T (if I remember correctly) and program one of my buttons to send that to the computer, it in reality sends something different. I don't know what, but it doesn't fuction the way it is supposed to. At least not though the SST software.

My right shift key is not recognized at all by the SST software, which also provides some problems. Obviously there is no distinction between left and right shift buttons in my case. And yes, it's the most recent driver and accompanying SST software. Maybe it is related to Vista 64, which in the past had some problems with these kind of things.

For that reason I'm now trying to configure things solely through the DCS keymapper and see how far I can get with that. At least I know for sure that the buttons will do exactly as I assign them.

Programming through the SST software would be ideal, but so far it seems to me that there are still several bugs in there that don't permit you to program it completely to your heart's content.

I'm still trying out though. I don't want to give up that easily. :P

Ok..not being able to use the right shift is a known issue of the older SST software. This bug is gone in the newer SST beta software.

Here is the link on their forums. No new drivers are needed it just updates your magic mouse and the SST.

http://www.saitekforum.com/showthread.php?t=16643

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

hello. i messed up with the standard-keyboard-layout from dcs... please tell me where the .lua file for default is or how i manage do load category defaults insted of klicking each option alone and say: default...

MB: Intel DX79TO; Core i7 3820 (3,6 ghz); SPU: Asus Xonar D2X; GPU: AMD XFX 7970 BE OC (3GB); RAM: Kingston 8 GB DDR3-1333 Quad-Kit; HHDs: G.Skill Phoenix SSD (for OS&DCS), WD 1 TB + WD 160GB; PSU: be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W; Display: EIZO Foris 2333-BK; OS: WIN8 Pro 64bit (latest updates); TM HOTAS Warthog; CH Rudder pedals; Cougar MFDs; iPad Mini with iControl DCS; TrackIR4 + TrackClipPro.

A10 startup procedure -->

Ok..not being able to use the right shift is a known issue of the older SST software. This bug is gone in the newer SST beta software.

Here is the link on their forums. No new drivers are needed it just updates your magic mouse and the SST.

http://www.saitekforum.com/showthread.php?t=16643

Oki, thanks Slayer, gonna try that one right away and see if that works better. :)