Two Questions for A-10 Experts

1. Is there a special techique ( IRL or in LOMAC ) to use the gun against moving ground vehicles ? Against stationary targets I use the track-shoot-track techique with great success ( killing vehicles from 1.5nm out ), but I have a hard time to effectively hit moving vehicles from that range. How do real Hog driver deal with this ?

2. How do real Hog drivers employ the Avenger in hilly terrain ? The fire controll system uses the radar altimeter to calculate slant range ( with that Sin/Cos stuff ). But that only works if ground elevation bellow your plane and elevation of your target are the same, otherwise the CCIP will show wrong results ( also representated in LOMAC ). I find the Avenger almost unusable in hilly terrain, unless you go real close so the CCIP error is neglectible ( something you wouldn't want to do ).

Re: Two Questions for A-10 Experts

1. Is there a special techique ( IRL or in LOMAC ) to use the gun against moving ground vehicles ? Against stationary targets I use the track-shoot-track techique with great success ( killing vehicles from 1.5nm out ), but I have a hard time to effectively hit moving vehicles from that range. How do real Hog driver deal with this ?

Attack directly from the rear or the front, and 'walk the shot up'.

You could attack from the side and walk it horizontally too, but that's harder.

2. How do real Hog drivers employ the Avenger in hilly terrain ? The fire controll system uses the radar altimeter to calculate slant range ( with that Sin/Cos stuff ). But that only works if ground elevation bellow your plane and elevation of your target are the same, otherwise the CCIP will show wrong results ( also representated in LOMAC ). I find the Avenger almost unusable in hilly terrain, unless you go real close so the CCIP error is neglectible ( something you wouldn't want to do ).

Walk the shot :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Hehe, Andy Bush from SimHQ would kill you for such a statement :D

... because Andy from SimHQ can put the rounds on target with laser precision accuracy when his pipper's showing an error? ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Hehe, I guess he can, beeing one of the guys who developed tactics for the cold war A-10 :)

Now seriously, I wonder how the real Hog drivers deal with those situations. Reading Andys articles it seems walking the rounds is a big no-no in RL. So there must be some sort of technique to effectively hit moving targets/ targets in hilly terrain.

Hehe, I guess he can, beeing one of the guys who developed tactics for the cold war A-10 :)

Now seriously, I wonder how the real Hog drivers deal with those situations. Reading Andys articles it seems walking the rounds is a big no-no in RL. So there must be some sort of technique to effectively hit moving targets/ targets in hilly terrain.

Sure, you se the elevation manually. You don't have that luxury in LOMAC, so walk the rounds ;) It's an old and respected technique ;) I doubt it's really a 'nono' when it's pretty much your only resort.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mbot, there a couple of features in the real aircraft not modeled in LOMAC because LOMAC modeled a LASTE 4.0 A-10 and not the current 6.0 version.

To answer your questions in a 4.0 aircraft, moving targets were taken care of by ajusting fire. One pilot put it this way, "The GAU-8 is like a water hose, you start spraying and ajust aim as needed!"

In LASTE 6.0 you have "lead tics" in the pipper which give you "lead" for 1/2 and 1 mile slant ranges based on data from the LASTE computer.

As far as hilly terrain you either get close as you said or, use the "bore-site cross" (small cross which is always in the HUD) to aim and forget the CCIP pipper.

In 6.0 there are newer "algirethems" (S?) which help with this and also something called PAC which engages the SAS system to lock the gun on target. Sorry that's as far as I can go into both these questions and the "current" fix to them.

Ugly but well hung!

Algorithms.

That's pretty cool, I imagine in that case that there has been some sensor equipment added to allow the A-10 to track moving targets and point a laser or radar rangefinder at it to compute the aimpoint correctly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm an a-10 expert but only in lomac. You can kill anything with a gun, even sams and shikras. Your secret weapons are the zoom and trim keys. If you have HOTAS make it available on the stick. Go to max zoom, lead the target if you have to or fly behind it for an easier shot and like everything else it takes practice.

I guess this will change with the newest 'A-10C' mod that gives the Hog a targeting pod (Litening II). With the laser range-finder in the pod, it should be possible to get the precise slant range to the spot under the pipper, making use of the Rad-Alt unnecessary.

How does that sound?

I guess this will change with the newest 'A-10C' mod that gives the Hog a targeting pod (Litening II). With the laser range-finder in the pod, it should be possible to get the precise slant range to the spot under the pipper, making use of the Rad-Alt unnecessary.

How does that sound?

Sounds like the Hawg will be able to do what the Frog could do all this time :lol: