SU-39 AFM?

Remember the SU-39 hack in lo-mac? It flew like an SU-25, but could trap on carriers. Will the Advanced Flight Model also carry over to the SU-39? It would be nice to trap aboard the Kuz with the AFM.

Hi,

The Su-39 (player controlled) could not trap on carriers in Lock-on 1.02....it didnt have a hook nor any cockpit control for it ;) .

Only by using the old Su-39 model from Flanker 2.5(which incorrectly had an arrestor hook), was it possible to have an AI-controlled Su-39 trap on the Kuznetsov in a semi-realistic way. It was never possible for the player controlled Su-39 to make a normal carrier landing.

In Lock-on 1.1 there is both the new player controllable Su-25T and the AI-controlled Su-39 (now renamed Su-25TM). The Su-25TM/Su-39 in 1.1 is a more accurate and realistic representation of the aircraft. It uses the same 3D model, AFM and damage modelling as the new flyable Su-25T :)

But no carrier capability - the real Su-25TM(Su-39) is a further developed version of the Su-25T, and like this, it is a dedicated anti-tank aircraft :)

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

Any plans to incorporate the 29K and 25TM into 1.1, Alfa?

Well I could do a mod :)

The Su-25TM is already there and making it flyable is easy....dead easy. The question is what it would add - it is virtually the same aircraft as the Su-25T except for the radar and the extra weapons capability this entails.....the problem is that there is no player radar function associated with it, and both the radar and the radar guided weapons are automatically ejected from the aircraft when set to player control.

So it would just be sort of a dublicate of the Su-25T :)

The MiG-29K is another matter - it is semi-functional, but requires a great deal more work and there is still the matter of lacking a proper 3D model for it.....the one from Flanker looks quite dated in Lock-on :)

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

Didn't realize the radar guided stuff would automatically jettison. That pretty much kills all potential. As for the 29K, I agree the model is a bit dated, the damage model especially. Would still be fun to toy with, especially if it were fully functioning (hey, we can dream, right?).

Didn't realize the radar guided stuff would automatically jettison.

No you couldnt, because it is a pecularity of the new AFM in 1.1 - it didnt happen with the old SFM in Lock-on 1.02 :)

That pretty much kills all potential.

Yeah - I am afraid so.

As for the 29K, I agree the model is a bit dated, the damage model especially.

I have been experimenting a little with the MiG-29K entry - adding an extra set of wing pylons to the baseline MiG-29(9-12) model and making a new MiG-29K style texture for it....it looks pretty good, but it is obviously not the "real deal", as I have no way of introducing all the other airframe differences - including hook and IFR probe.

Would still be fun to toy with, especially if it were fully functioning (hey, we can dream, right?).

.....I know I do (sigh!) :)

- JJ.

JJ

Wouldnt be a bad idea for ED to update the Su-25 (vanila) 3d model, so we could see the tires blown off etc.

No it wouldnt be a bad idea at all, but a model like the one for Su-25T with that level of damage modelling is a major undertaking, so I wouldnt "hold my breath".

Alfa, you could ask to someone to make the Mig-29K model hein? :D

Hehe....yeah that would be awesome. But such a project would be alot more feasible, if we had the Lock-on MiG-29 model as a solid basis to build on ....not only would it save alot of work, but I believe it would make it easier for the modeller to get the particulars of the MiG-29K airframe right....not to mention "style coherence" with the existing MiG-29 versions :)

But unfortunately I have no experience what so ever with 3D modelling, so I dont know :)

- JJ.

JJ

Hehe....yeah that would be awesome. But such a project would be alot more feasible, if we had the Lock-on MiG-29 model as a solid basis to build on ....not only would it save alot of work, but I believe it would make it easier for the modeller to get the particulars of the MiG-29K airframe right....not to mention "style coherence" with the existing MiG-29 versions

But unfortunately I have no experience what so ever with 3D modelling, so I dont know

Well, we could ask Eagle Dynamics for the 3D model. However we must understand that its their 3D Model, and only the modeler could have access to it. But anyway, as long as this requirement is met, then I dont see any reason for ED to not support a Mig-29K 3D Model project. We will have to wait for 1.1 to come out though. The dev.s are pretty busy right now with FC, so lets wait a bit, and them for Mig-29 3D Model.

Hi StrikeMax,

And suppose you have... Is there a way to convert a 3D model into lomac format?! I'm very much interested to know.

No I dont think so - not for "outsiders" that is.

But I could imagine that it would be easier to pursuade ED to perform the necessary conversion for new 3D models if these are for units already in Lock-on.....because the code required for their in-game operation is there already + the entries are defined with load-outs, tasks etc in the MEinit.xml.

In the case of the MiG-29K, the aircraft is currently not represented in the sim as a selectable entry....but the full code for its AI controlled behaviour is :) . I have furthermore built up the MiG-29K entry in the MEinit.xml to the same level as all the other aircraft(assigned weapons compatibility for each pylon, composed loadouts etc). This means that by using the old 3D model from Flanker 2.5, you can have a perfectly working AI-controlled MiG-29K in Lock-on.

Which "only" leaves the 3D model fidelity :)

I believe that with the Lock-on MiG-29(9-12) 3D model as basis, and the old Flanker 2.5 MiG-29K model for design/functional "reference", there is great potential for a MiG-29K revival in Lock-on.....at least as AI-entry.

There is furthermore some preparational work done for a flyable MiG-29K(such as slots for a seperate cockpit) in the code, but it would obviously require a major development effort to model the advanced avionics and cockpit of the MiG-29K.

P.S. Your new Su-27 model looks great - my compliments! :D

- JJ.

JJ

Thank you Alfa for your quick replay. Must tell you that I was not surprised by the answer, but I just hoped that there is a way around.

Guess my best bet is to agree on a "ED Endorsed Mod" where they do the necessary conversion and then the package would be distributed as a free optional mod. Too early anyhow.

Thank you for your compliments on the model and Im glad you liked it.

Cheers

sig3small320x1503vh3.jpg