Flaming Cliffs Protection Feedback

Hi there,

Just my 2 cents worth:

I have bought every release of Flanker in lots of 2 just to support it. I played lomac the day I bought from a backed-up CD to protect my original from scratches etc. I have bought every release of Half Life except Half Life 2.

Moral of the story:

Basic protection (e.g. SafeDisk, SecuRom) prevent casual copying. ie John will not be able to get a copy to his mate Jim. That is OK.

No copy protection has ever stopped game being copied and sold illegaly. However, legitimate users suffer due to countless issues with these "heavy duty" protections.

There are masses of people out there who support and buy good software not because they can't get a free copy, but because developers deserve their support.

HL2 is a good game, but I will never buy it, just out of principle. (Despite the fact that I bought every Half Life release before.) Everyone knows what dance one must go through to get to play HL2 with a legitimate CD. What next - before each game session one will have to log onto the dev server to request permission to play the game and one's credit card will be debited by x dollars, and if you happen not to be at home you won't be allowed to play?

I live and breathe Flanker series, and each time I upgraded my PC it was to run Flanker better. Despite this, I will cease to support Flanker series when the developer goes from a reasonable protection to prevent casual copying to using a protection "from hell" which makes the life of legit buyers a misery yet does not stop the bad guys selling illegal copies of the software.

Kind regards,

Mimes

"Joined forum in 2004 but flying Flanker since 1995 :o)"

Yes, Flaming Cliffs need a copy protection to prevent casual copying.

No, the last thing Flaming Cliffs needs is a copy protection which makes the life of legitimate users misery.

Kind regards,

Mimes

"Joined forum in 2004 but flying Flanker since 1995 :o)"