WinXP,Vista,Win7 FPS Test Results=

Fakum

I currently use WinXP Pro 32.

I am considering adding another hard drive, and install Windows7 on it. I just don't have enough room on my current hard drive (320GB). I have an extra hard drive in another computer, though it is only 120GB and parallel port. Not Satas, like my current HD.

I would use the 2nd HD loaded with Windows7 release candidate and load up my flight sims with it. It would be a dual boot system, with both WinXP and Win7.

I am wondering if it is worth it. Next year I will buy a new CPU, as mine is only a 1.8 GHZ Duo2Core E6300.

Any thoughts about doing this?

:joystick:

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

Yes, Win 7 will be like Vista SE. Same package, more polish.

I'm only going to bother upgrading from XP Pro when a game I want doesn't support it.

Next PC upgrade won't be scheduled until SoW gets first patch.

IMHO it'd be well worth it, as you're not really spending or losing any money on it. The new hard drive, you could move to your new build when you get there. Windows 7 RC1 is free until March 2010, and time is always well spent, getting familiar with new software/technology.

Plus you should see an improvement in framerate, if you use DCSMax. Bonus! :)

If I run a dual boot, 1)WinXP and 2)Win7 ..

Since Win7 uses the same type of directory structure as Vista, would I have to have a 2nd install of Black Shark, or can I just change the path for each version (2 installs on one computer):

i.e:

WinXP: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50

Win7 : C:\ ??

Edited by Ramstein

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

Win 7 will have a Win XP mode. Have you guys tested this, or is it not included in the Beta?

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Windows/Why-Microsoft-Windows-7-XP-Mode-Is-a-Major-Advancement-405072/

It seems to be next to useless because it runs via the old VirtualPC technology. I installed it and it doesn't even support a 3D card. I tried running a Mame arcade emulator and the sound was delayed. So, don't get your hopes up.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

It seems to be next to useless because it runs via the old VirtualPC technology. I installed it and it doesn't even support a 3D card. I tried running a Mame arcade emulator and the sound was delayed. So, don't get your hopes up.

It is completely inaccurate to say it runs via "old" technology.

"XPM is built on the next generation Microsoft Virtual PC 7 product line, which requires processor-based virtualization support (Intel and AMD) to be present and enabled on the underlying PC, much like Hyper-V, Microsoft's server-side virtualization platform."

What people need to realize is that XP mode for Win7 is about application compatibility not game compatibility. This will likely NOT be a panacea for those that want to run every old xp game that they have under Win7 even if you do have Processor based virtualization support.

It is about assuring compatibility in a business environment to make the transition form the older OS to the new one as tranparent and smooth as possible.

This is not to say that it will not help to get some games to run, only that this is not its purpose.

Out

I've been running Windows 7 64 Bit since the first public beta release and am now on RC1. I've yet to find a game that won't run on it. Some require a bit of tweaking, but I've managed to make all my games work. Including good ol' IL2 1946 & LOMAC FC.

Polecat is right on about the Windows XP Compatability. It is mainly directed to businesses that are still running legacy applications for lab equipment and the like.

Sorry for jumping in at the end of the subject here - but .. since I have tested quite a few games and computers on the 64' edition...

Imho:

64 is the way to go - at least if you expect your OS to live for more than a short period.

32 may have been the one previously, especially with XP and to some degree with Vista.

Due to the extended use of 64 bit editions of Vista - you will find that most, if not all applications will be properly 64 bit compatible by the time Win 7 is released. (October 22 according to news today).

Some may come up with performance issues - well, look closely at that. If you have a video/other driver that isnt performing under 64 bit you may have an outdated system, and maybe it wont last for 1-2 years anyway. (Sorry, I havent really checked your results in this thread, folks)

Unless you know for sure you *need* 32 bit for compatability - go 64.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

I agree with Panzertard,

64 bit is the way to go. 32 Bit doesn't cut it anymore. Especially with the standard amount of RAM reaching 4 gb and beyond. (keep in mind this is total pc ram, including video ram)

32 bit can only see and utilize 3 gb of ram so if you have 2 gb on your mobo and 1 gb on your graphics card, you are at the limit for 32 bit.

In my system I'm running 6 GB of RAM on the mobo and 1 GB on the video card, for a total of 7. If I were to use a 32 bit OS, I'd be wasting alot of hardware.

My 2 cents,

Mack

Due to the extended use of 64 bit editions of Vista - you will find that most, if not all applications will be properly 64 bit compatible by the time Win 7 is released. (October 22 according to news today).

Most are already compatible but it is my understanding that running 32bit app/games under a 64bit OS results in a small but noticeable performance hit and no advantages(although I could be wrong). Compile that with 64bit drivers for some hardware devices being buggy or unavailable even to this day and 64bit is not such an all or nothing deal.

What is really needed is to make all new games/sims/apps 64bit native not compatible, this has been promised forever and still not delivered as a standard yet. Only then will 64bit become what every one would like it to be. It proceeds at a crawl outside of business usage IMHO. Hell we are still waiting for proper dual/quad proc support in almost everything gaming.

I have a perfectly good triple boot configuration running WinXP Pro 32/Vista ultimate 64 and Win7 beta. All are set up and properly configured and even though I have 8Gb memory, for gaming I use XP Pro32 almost exclusively (LockOn, Black Shark, IL2). Why? Compatibility, stability, configuration. Much less screwing around on XP32 to get sound/video/multiple monitors/Hotas working properly for these sims on a basic level and since they do not get any gain from 64bit why bother with it. I can boot to Vista 64 for my DAW and business environment needs and at least get some of the true advantages of 64bit (still with some caveats).

If I had to choose one right now I would have to say that 64bit is still not totally ready for prime time gaming unless you are ready to accept some disadvantages due to the 32bit universe we live in although we are a lot closer than ever before. :thumbup:

Out

Valid point, PC. Thats why I mentioned the performance hit.

The question is "will the consumer notice" the drop from 37 to 34 fps?

It's all somewhat subjective. :)

As for advantages - you're stuck at < 4Gb memory with 32'bit. But again as you meantioned, if you have the need for best of both worlds - >4Gb memory available in Windows and the last bit of speed from games - dualboot should handle it.

I havent noticed anything significant "buggy" regarding Nvidia, Intel or others regarding 64 bit.

But as for what I've experienced so far - I couldnt tell if I would have gained any significant performance with 32 bit.

Last piece of information - Windows Servers will be available only as 64 bit only from Windows 2008 R2. No more 32 bit there. This also will tell vendors that 64 bit is here to stay.

But - all things considered - it all comes down to personal preference I guess. :)

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Hi,

First, my system specs are listed below in my sig. My computer is not high performance.

Windows 7 is only RC and will expire early next year. If I decide to use Winows 7 64 bit version, I can choose that if I buy it when it is available for purchase (in 1 year or so). So, there maybe no reason for me to use Windows 7 64 bit. Only 2gb ram with a duo2core e6300 cpu. So I do not have much hardware that can take advantage of Winodws 7 64 bit. I can just use Win7 32 bit. Or, I could just run the 64 bit anyways I suppose. Either way... it's just a Beta RC anyways... it will be absolutely worthless when it expires.

I just want to try it and see how much better My Flight sims will run on Win7 than on WinXP. And use DX10 and the Duo2core infinnity settings to take advantage of the cpu.

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

I guess I'm the exception to the rule, as I would not go back to 32 bit. I've not seen the slight loss of performance that PoleCat refers to and I've actually experianced increased stability, rather than decreased.

Each to his own, I suppose. :)

As for me, I'm happy with my 64bits and don't see any point in dual-booting a 32bit OS anymore. I used to dual-boot XP 32/64 bit, due to the compatability issues but those issues have all been resolved with Windows Vista & 7, for me...

Ram, I hope you enjoy your adventures with Windows 7 as much as I have. :joystick:

-Mack

I have to agree with Pole, for now. I hear a number of folks say they have 64 bit and all is great. But I've heard just as many or more folks say they moved up to 64 bit and regretted it as they had to deal with endless amounts of problems.

I'm sure that 64 bit compatibility issues have gotten better over time, but it simply boils down to this. I'm in the process of building a new PC, will be putting Windows 7 on it, and I have the option of putting 32 bit or 64 bit on it. From past experience from endless releases of Windows I know that there are generally fewer issues with 32 bit editions of new Op sys, and issues with 64 bit have generally taken longer to iron out.

So the deciding factor is ... $$$. Do you spring for 64 bit, which may or may not work well? And if it doesn't you either have to hassel with it, or wait an age while MS and all the vendors iron the problem out. And if they can't iron it out in a timely fashion, end up purchasing 32 bit so you've shelled out the $ for 2 operating systems. Or just pick up the 32 bit, which is more likely to work out of the box with little to no tinkering?

I don't have the $ to be buying the 64 bit and then turn around and purchase the 32. I'll stick with the 32 bit until 64 bit becomes more maintstream. By the time my new pc is due for some upgrades 64 bit will probably own the lions share of the market and can tackle it then.

Topgun505

Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700k, Evga GTX 1080 FTW, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, Alienware 34" 2K LED, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Rudder, Thrustmaster MFDs x3, Razer Nostromo n52.

FWIW, I've been running Win 7 64-bit for several months now and had little or no problems after ATI has published an officially supported graphics driver. And it's in RC stage still, there's quite a bit of time for improvements until the release in October... Looking forward to testing that 64-bit executable.

• Like 1

FWIW, I've been running Win 7 64-bit for several months now and had little or no problems after ATI has published an officially supported graphics driver. And it's in RC stage still, there's quite a bit of time for improvements until the release in October... Looking forward to testing that 64-bit executable.

Ahh, nice to see someone agrees with me! :) Same experiances here, Tiger.

I am not 100% happy with the ATI Catalyst 9.5 and drivers with Win7 RC 32 exe. I am having some problems with the display and options. I have none of these problems with WinXP. Like using both a 20" CRT monitor and my 46" LCD TV> No problems in WinXP, but several problems in Win7. When I plug in my LCD TV with my HDMI cable, with Win7, the CRT screen freezes, and the TV looks great with the computer on it, but it is sharing the CRT screen instead of being seperate like in WinXP.

Also, several options for monitors are missing in the ATI Cat 9.5 using Win7 that are available in WinXP. But, since Win7 RC is free for a while, I suppose it's OK.

:doh:

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

So how about those Win7 vs Vista FPS benchmarks ey?

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

More Win7 problems. The maintenance command to rearm and refuel did not work when I tried them in Win7. When I tried those commands, there was no repsonse at all. And there were no changes. Also, sometimes when launching Black Shark, in muliplayer, it gave me a black screen. I did not seem to have any graphics problems in single player mode. Of course that could be another issue. But the unable to use maintanance commands are defintely a huge problem. Anyone else have these issues?

Edited by Ramstein

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

Im sorry, Im not trying to be rude here, but I started this thread to focus on FPS differences between Vista and Win7. Id very much like to maintain that if possible. Every one on here has been very helpful. Again, I would just like to keep this thread intact if you will. I appoligize in advanced if this is mis interpreted as being rude, it is not my intention. I hope to see some improvement in the Win 7 enviroment, as it will eventually become main stream. At this point perhaps this topic will remain stale until Win 7 comes out of beta and it is better supported. Until then, cheers,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

More Win7 problems. The maintenance command to rearm and refuel did not work when I tried them in Win7. When I tried those commands, there was no repsonse at all. And there were no changes. Also, sometimes when launching Black Shark, in muliplayer, it gave me a black screen. I did not seem to have any graphics problems in single player mode. Of course that could be another issue. But the unable to use maintanance commands are defintely a huge problem. Anyone else have these issues?

Appologies for continuing the off topic, but I've seen no issues with rearm/reload or any maintenance command under windows 7. Perhaps its caused by some other issue, like the farp not having the means to do the work... :music_whistling: