New Physics Chip available for Gamers!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/08/news_6119896.html

If semiconductor company Ageia has its way, the PPU (physics processing unit) will soon join the CPU and GPU as another hardware component that has a major effect on gaming performance. Current CPUs are only powerful enough to support 30-40 physical objects that you can interact with on-screen, but systems with a PPU add-in card will be able to support over 30,000 objects on screen.

Ageia promises to bring a new level of physics to games with its PhysX processor, and the company has the game developer support to do it. Epic Games, the creators of the hugely popular Unreal FPS series, has chosen Ageia's NovodeX physics middleware solution for Unreal Engine 3.

We caught up with Epic Games CEO and Founder Tim Sweeney to find out what he thinks the dedicated hardware physics processing will do for gaming.

This has great applications in Simulation type games as well, both driving and flying sims!

• ED Team
Takes workload off the programmers :)

Not off the programmers, but off the CPU... :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.

Can i make a DUMB question.....look im not a programer or anything like that ok.. :roll:

what could be the negatives ponts in make the phisics run like an windows processes (services) in a dual machine we can set over task manager its affinty choosing in what processor it will run ??

can this be done to others areas as well ?? like wheater, AI etc .. ??

o told you guys it was a DUMB question :lol:

Rodrigo Monteiro

LOCKON 1.12

AMD 3.8 X2 64 2G DDR ATI X1800XT 512

SAITEK X-36

AND VERY SOON TRACKIR-4

Um...well, okay. The problem is that it has to be kept under control somehow, and multiprocessor stuff ain't the simplest things around, esp. on a huge chunk of code of LOMAC.

It's doable, but you'd have to write most of your code from the ground-up to do things this way when the opportunity presents itself.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

It makes me wonder how this could/will impact the sales and the development of software titles for console systems like X-box, PS2 etc. for the future. :?:

Will developers for games that have migrated to consoles like Operation Flash Point, Ghost Recon focus their programming efforts for the PC. I ask this because it seems to be a trend for gaming these days. Everyone seems to want the console version :roll: . To me the PC offers so much flexibility for games as opposed to a console game which is watered down to accomodate the console system.

Just wanting some feedback on that thought as weak as it may seem :wink:

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Um...well, okay. The problem is that it has to be kept under control somehow, and multiprocessor stuff ain't the simplest things around, esp. on a huge chunk of code of LOMAC.

It's doable, but you'd have to write most of your code from the ground-up to do things this way when the opportunity presents itself.

But it can be done in the next project ?

Rodrigo Monteiro

LOCKON 1.12

SAITEK X-36

AND VERY SOON TRACKIR-4

Wouldn´t it be from both ? It seems to me that there has to be some standarized dev tool to use the PPU. It should take some workload off since the PPU should do automatically some kind of math operations (perhaps differentation or integration as GGTharos said) since that`s what it is there for, and that´s what it was designed for (physics specific calculus). Otherwise it would be like another CPU. I´m just guessing since you are the dev.

wsoul2k: I couldn't tell you that because I'm not writing any of the code.

Sharpshooter: To some degree, probably, but not as huge as you might think. The equations are still a royal (#(&*$ in the )@(*)@#(*.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

don't get any hopes up... it not even in production yet.

asking whether lockon will support it ,is getting way ahead of oneself.....

remember, nowadays, it's Marketing exageration as the norm.

don't get your hopes up until you physically see the card on the shelfs.

Thanks,

Brett

don't get any hopes up... it not even in production yet.

asking whether lockon will support it ,is getting way ahead of oneself.....

remember, nowadays, it's Marketing exageration as the norm.

don't get your hopes up until you physically see the card on the shelfs.

I think this is different, you will see the card on the shelves at the end of the year. Even if this card doesn´t hit it, I´m sure another will pop up, some competiton must be already developing a similar type of chip.There are some major investors in this and the Unreal Engine 3 is using this technology. Plus the chip already saw action on an expo, I don´t remember which. Defenetly we won´t see on 1.2, I´m talking about the LO:MAC succesor. To me the possibilities that this card doesn´t hit the shelves are slim and none.

• ED Team

Wouldn´t it be from both ? It seems to me that there has to be some standarized dev tool to use the PPU. It should take some workload off since the PPU should do automatically some kind of math operations (perhaps differentation or integration as GGTharos said) since that`s what it is there for, and that´s what it was designed for (physics specific calculus). Otherwise it would be like another CPU. I´m just guessing since you are the dev.

The base things would be written once, but physics for each object are still unique. Of course if you have good physics engine to add any new object you only need to give to the engine object charasteristics.

The presence or absence of good engine is not dependent of the PPU presence. :wink: The PPU of course influences on a possibilities of physics engine (the way of it's implementation and as a result quantities of objects it can to workaround, and physics modelling complexity).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.

The base things would be written once, but physics for each object are still unique. Of course if you have good physics engine to add any new object you only need to give to the engine object charasteristics.

The presence or absence of good engine is not dependent of the PPU presence. :wink: The PPU of course influences on a possibilities of physics engine (the way of it's implementation and as a result quantities of objects it can to workaround, and physics modelling complexity).

:shock:

*falls over*

Fantastic! I remember once I speculated with a friend about some kind of new hardware that would do just physics! And whoaa, it has happened! dance.gif

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

A long time ago, in the era of the 286 PC, when 640k memory was a LUXURY, and extended memory did not exsist, there was a little addon you could get to offload some of the power of your processor when it came to running very complex mathematics repeatedly. This little piece of kit was called a 'Math co-processor'. Most modern gamers have likely never heard of it, because your modern processors have the functionality built in.

So, who thinks this thing is going to become the 21st century math coprocessor?

A long time ago, in the era of the 286 PC, when 640k memory was a LUXURY, and extended memory did not exsist, there was a little addon you could get to offload some of the power of your processor when it came to running very complex mathematics repeatedly. This little piece of kit was called a 'Math co-processor'. Most modern gamers have likely never heard of it, because your modern processors have the functionality built in.

So, who thinks this thing is going to become the 21st century math coprocessor?

Man im geting old....i remenber that thing :lol:

Rodrigo Monteiro

LOCKON 1.12

SAITEK X-36

AND VERY SOON TRACKIR-4