Mission: Hasty Attack ATO B-P5.2

What an absolute nightmare this mission is. I'm in the second Georgian Oil War campaign, and was doing fine, when this thing pops up.

You have two columns of vehicle to provide CAS for, with Abrams and Bradleys opposing them on the other side of two bridges - these alone provide a challenge to hunt and kill with all the buildings, trees etc covering them and the TOW, cannon and main gun fire they can aim at you if you get too close.

At the same time, you have TWO Apaches to kill.

All that I can handle. But the comedy shooting gallery of TOW-firing Bradleys behind the hill to the left? With a Linebacker tucked behind the hill in position that cannot be engaged? Insane. All with no communication between me and the vehicles, and the most inept wingman in history.

Does anyone have the first clue how to crack this mission? Because I can well imagine that despite having accepted a failure at 30% complete, I'm going to be tasked to do it again soon.

What an absolute nightmare this mission is. I'm in the second Georgian Oil War campaign, and was doing fine, when this thing pops up.

You have two columns of vehicle to provide CAS for, with Abrams and Bradleys opposing them on the other side of two bridges - these alone provide a challenge to hunt and kill with all the buildings, trees etc covering them and the TOW, cannon and main gun fire they can aim at you if you get too close.

At the same time, you have TWO Apaches to kill.

All that I can handle. But the comedy shooting gallery of TOW-firing Bradleys behind the hill to the left? With a Linebacker tucked behind the hill in position that cannot be engaged? Insane. All with no communication between me and the vehicles, and the most inept wingman in history.

Does anyone have the first clue how to crack this mission? Because I can well imagine that despite having accepted a failure at 30% complete, I'm going to be tasked to do it again soon.

hehe, I remember that one.

You will find a number of nearly impossible missions in Chapter two---I can win the first chapter, but the second--no way. So I just play the missions indivdually.

E8600 Asus P5E Radeon 4870x2 Corsair 4gb Velociraptor 300gb Neopower 650 NZXT Tempest Vista64 Samsung 30" 2560x1600

Whenever I get Apaches in a mission its time to pull the yellow and black handle! They smoke me every time! Hinds I can just about handle. I think the only time I smoked two Apaches was when i'd accidentaly left invunerability on from some mission testing and then was amazed as their 30mm rounds ricocheted harmlessly off my bird. :doh: Closed in on 'em and smoked them with my 30mm in manual mode. A hollow but fun victory!

Back to your post: I think some units in the missions are randomised and if your lucky all the bad stuff (or less of it) isn't activated. I must say though, I do hate it when you fail a mission because your ground units roll ahead without you and then get slaughtered without even so much as a 'we need help' message. I guess Wags was making a whole load of missions and couldn't get that level of detail and syncronisation into every mission. If the mission is the one I think your refering to, I intend to edit it so that the ground units wait a bit before moving forward. :smartass:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Great minds think alike; idiots seldom differ.":pilotfly:

i5 3750K@4.3Ghz, MSI Z77A GD55, 8GB DDR3, Palit GTX 670, 24" Benq@1920*1080, X52 Pro, Win 7 64bit.

Well, I was looking at reducing the number of Bradley TOWs carried on each vehicle at least, but beyond that I'm not keen to just edit the mission until I win. Current plan is to play the step-back mission I was given for failing B-P5.2, and hope I get a different one after that!

Funnily enough, out of I think 8 tries, the Apaches only got me once. My wingman and I can kill them almost every time, but not everything else required to get the convoys through. And if I look at the mission editor, it looks like the mission areas they need to roll into for me to win are way beyond the town I'm struggling with. So I just can't see me winning it.

Well, I was looking at reducing the number of Bradley TOWs carried on each vehicle at least, but beyond that I'm not keen to just edit the mission until I win. Current plan is to play the step-back mission I was given for failing B-P5.2, and hope I get a different one after that!

Funnily enough, out of I think 8 tries, the Apaches only got me once. My wingman and I can kill them almost every time, but not everything else required to get the convoys through. And if I look at the mission editor, it looks like the mission areas they need to roll into for me to win are way beyond the town I'm struggling with. So I just can't see me winning it.

I don't think you can change the bradley TOW loadout, but they are easy targets with the gun out to 4k, to aviod the tows just side slip as you fire, they will not hit you.

E8600 Asus P5E Radeon 4870x2 Corsair 4gb Velociraptor 300gb Neopower 650 NZXT Tempest Vista64 Samsung 30" 2560x1600

Not a bad suggestion, were it not for the Linebacker hiding behind the hill, forward of the the Bradleys. I actually managed to nearly hit that with the gun as I careered over the crest of the hill sideways, way out of shape, with Stingers and cannon rounds whizzing past my ears. But I couldn't slew the reticle over him at that attitude and speed, so he got me. Mind you, if you're in that situation, you've already lost!

Having said that, I might be able to creep up to the ridge and loft a few cannon rounds over it at the Bradleys without exposing myself (har har) to the Linebacker. So if I get the mission again (god forbid) that's what I'll try. But even then - this gives me the Vikhrs I need to finish the job covering the two convoys, but not the omniscience and god-like flying ability and situational awareness needed to actually get my 50%!

I'm sure it's possible, but only if you happen to have a wingmand who's doing what he's told, enemies triggered in a favourable way, the planets in the right alignment, and goat entrails in the cockpit.

Not a bad suggestion, were it not for the Linebacker hiding behind the hill, forward of the the Bradleys. I actually managed to nearly hit that with the gun as I careered over the crest of the hill sideways, way out of shape, with Stingers and cannon rounds whizzing past my ears. But I couldn't slew the reticle over him at that attitude and speed, so he got me. Mind you, if you're in that situation, you've already lost!

Having said that, I might be able to creep up to the ridge and loft a few cannon rounds over it at the Bradleys without exposing myself (har har) to the Linebacker. So if I get the mission again (god forbid) that's what I'll try. But even then - this gives me the Vikhrs I need to finish the job covering the two convoys, but not the omniscience and god-like flying ability and situational awareness needed to actually get my 50%!

I'm sure it's possible, but only if you happen to have a wingmand who's doing what he's told, enemies triggered in a favourable way, the planets in the right alignment, and goat entrails in the cockpit.

I just flew this one and managed 100%. I got lucky and the apaches did not spawn, so that helped. First, I took out all the abhrams, with wingie. I'd recall him after he got one, then send him again to keep him out of trouble. I never had to touch the brads on the left hill---my ground units took them out as I was concentrating on clearing the southern bridge. We took out the brads in the city next. The southern column got just over the bridge and stopped for no apparent reason, the left column moved right on ahead. I was at 55%. Went throught the targets on the PVI800 and noticed something on the far left flank--a bunch of TOW humvees, killed them and my score went to 70, then I found target 5 or 6, the arty way back in the center, killed the mandapad, then took out EVERYTHING--were about 12 vehicles in all, finally score jumped to 100.

Would have been much harder with apaches to deal with.

FPS started fine, but were not good late in the mission--a bunch of airstrikes going on.

I think the secret on this one is to fight from the center first (you see a hole there in SAM coverage on the abris), and get those nasty M1A2s (I go to manual and shoot 2x, without waiting). I was shooting from about 5.2 K and never had a sam fired at me till the mandpads much later (somebody did shoot at my wingie a few times) . Do not waste vikhrs on anything but tanks (well maybe a linebacker). The Brads go down easy with the gun at 4k.

BTW my winge lived!

One of the missions I get nowhere on is ATO B P5.1

Well I went after that one again, and finaaly managed 100, which I had thought was impossible. After I stopped the attack, I rearmed and anhiliated everything but the enemy FARP and a few SAMs. Funny thing was, what jumped me from 10 to 50 was killing 4 m1a2s which were way to the south, not near any waypoint, not on the pvi, just sitting by a little bridge.

You always hear: stay on task, acomplish your goals. In that case the goal had to be taken care of, then you had to go off task to make the score. But it is a great mission, like so many Wags made us.

Edited by uhoh7

Nice job! I'm struggling with the Area Defence mission I got assigned after accepting 30% on the one I posted this thread about. Boy do I regret that! Another two AHs to kill, plus another two friendly formations to protect, plus three trigger areas that you lose big chunks of score for if any enemy vehicles enter them. I managed 40% once, but then lost all of that score because I couldn't nail down the advancing enemy vehicles OR stop the Apaches from hitting my tanks AND shooting down either my wingman or me!

It's just as hard as B-P5.2, but I don't want to accept yet another failure in order to have another crack at the campaign. I might as well start again at this rate.

Starting to think I'm going to need to take a break until the patch comes out, unless maybe I go multiplayer.

It's always a shame when a simulation as great as this comes along and then is ruined by frustrating trial-and-error mission design. I thought the Dusk mission in the Deployment campaign was nasty. But looks like I'm in for a treat.

Ruined? The object of a sim is not for you to win everytime. Bad ass you are if you do for sure. Matt's mission simulates real life as much as you can simulate real life on a computer screen. You have to live with the reality that failure is an option that you are in control of and that should make winning that much sweeter.

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

The object of a sim is not for you to win everytime. Bad ass you are if you do for sure. Matt's mission simulates real life as much as you can simulate real life on a computer screen.

That's not the problem. But when there are missions that absolutely require a wingman to even stand a chance then the wingman should better be up to the task. In the "Dusk" mission, for example, I had to trick my wingman into attacking the right targets by first destroying all the targets that he wasn't supposed to attack. Why? Because he wouldn't accept datalink targets because I couldn't properly lock in the heavy armor units during the twilight conditions. Instead he prefered to waste precious Vikhrs on trucks when I gave him an attack order. Or he would fly right into the mission zone using rockets and guns while getting shot down, even though he still had all his Vikhrs.

This kind of micro managment is not realistic and makes some missions next to impossible. Don't get me wrong. I love this sim, but it definitely has its shortcomings that should be acknowledged.

Edited by Jigsaw

You are right that is tricky. You can play with the contrast on the Shkval to getting a lock on targets in dusk and night conditions. The wingman AI, I fear though, will never be up to human standard but some type of target intelligence to go after the Primary Targets, then/to include, SAMS/AAA, armor, APC's, trucks should be implemented.

Dusty Rhodes

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

I accepted another failure on that Area Defence mission, and it's given me yet another, equally impossible to complete mission. Either I get whacked by AHs or even A-10s, or they Hellfire/Maverick the crud out of my T80s, or some of the enemy vehicles enter the trigger zones and lose me so many points as to make the mission unwinnable. Maybe if my guys weren't so spread out, I could actually protect them and not get splashed myself.

I'm all for the pseudo-dynamic campaign idea, and for accepting failure as it comes - but when the missions you're assigned for failing are even harder - what's the point?

I'll stick at it, don't get me wrong (probably by failing until I lose and then starting Oil War campaign 2 all over again), it's just disheartening to go from kicking arse to being the whipping boy. I haven't won a mission in a week because of the OP mission, and then these two Area Defs.

Edited by Big_les

I accepted another failure on that Area Defence mission, and it's given me yet another, equally impossible to complete mission. Either I get whacked by AHs or even A-10s, or they Hellfire/Maverick the crud out of my T80s, or some of the enemy vehicles enter the trigger zones and lose me so many points as to make the mission unwinnable. Maybe if my guys weren't so spread out, I could actually protect them and not get splashed myself.

I'm all for the pseudo-dynamic campaign idea, and for accepting failure as it comes - but when the missions you're assigned for failing are even harder - what's the point?

I'll stick at it, don't get me wrong (probably by failing until I lose and then starting Oil War campaign 2 all over again), it's just disheartening to go from kicking arse to being the whipping boy. I haven't won a mission in a week because of the OP mission, and then these two Area Defs.

Love to hear which area defense is getting you---give us a filename!

all the best,

Such is war my brother. Sometimes your windshield, sometime your the bug.

Dusty Rhodes

Love to hear which area defense is getting you---give us a filename!

all the best,

All of them! But currently B.P2.1. I just can't keep tabs on the attacking enemy ground units and simultaneously tackle the enemy air and air defences. I'm going to reluctantly turn labels back (currently I have them at very close range, and greyed out) and see if I can meet the mission objectives that way.

I hate to do that, but without any JTAC or FAC comms to direct me, I haven't a clue where to be at a given time. So my guys get whacked before I even know they're being engaged.

All of them! But currently B.P2.1. I just can't keep tabs on the attacking enemy ground units and simultaneously tackle the enemy air and air defences. I'm going to reluctantly turn labels back (currently I have them at very close range, and greyed out) and see if I can meet the mission objectives that way.

I hate to do that, but without any JTAC or FAC comms to direct me, I haven't a clue where to be at a given time. So my guys get whacked before I even know they're being engaged.

B.P2.1 is an interesting one---gave it a quick try and made it to 40% but was out of ammo, and did not have time to refuel (my winge bit it early---those strykers are not worth even going after.)

The missle sucking M1A2s are one issue in the GOW, but you touch on one which is more of an issue. DCS BS really has the ability to simultate FAC, and situational comms. Wags decided not to go there. I imagine the workload was part of the issue--I have the impression he did the whole thing almost by himself.

It's a shame though, since the GOW is the showcase for DCS and what it can do. It really would not be hard to add comms to the missions, but I don't think they want to take the time.

ED has a huge network of testers etc and ethusiasts, yet new missions are few and far between. I don't think they realise how crucial fresh content is to this sim.

Oleg had many patches in IL2 which included aircraft for no charge, along with the many tweaks. I don't expect that from ED since the aircraft are so closely modeled. But they are missing a big opportunity in not using their network to create new campaigns and provide them to users. IMHO. Such a gesture would pay for itself many times over.

B.P2.1 is an interesting one---gave it a quick try and made it to 40% but was out of ammo, and did not have time to refuel (my winge bit it early---those strykers are not worth even going after.)

The missle sucking M1A2s are one issue in the GOW, but you touch on one which is more of an issue. DCS BS really has the ability to simultate FAC, and situational comms. Wags decided not to go there. I imagine the workload was part of the issue--I have the impression he did the whole thing almost by himself.

It's a shame though, since the GOW is the showcase for DCS and what it can do. It really would not be hard to add comms to the missions, but I don't think they want to take the time.

ED has a huge network of testers etc and ethusiasts, yet new missions are few and far between. I don't think they realise how crucial fresh content is to this sim.

Oleg had many patches in IL2 which included aircraft for no charge, along with the many tweaks. I don't expect that from ED since the aircraft are so closely modeled. But they are missing a big opportunity in not using their network to create new campaigns and provide them to users. IMHO. Such a gesture would pay for itself many times over.

Ditto

"The only thing a chopper pilot should do downwind is take a leak" - CFI

CPL(H). AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ @3.3 GHz, 2GB Corsair DDR2 667, nVidia GeForce 9600 GT 1 GB, SB Audigy 2.

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro modified: no centering springs, extended shaft. CH Pro Throttle; vertical chair mount.