Lua Files, Anyone?

Moderator Note: I'm not sure if this is appropriate for the general discussion area or the mods area. Please move as needed.

In addition to trying to learn to fly my K-50, I've developed a curiosity about the mechanics of the sim...that is, how is it put together and what makes it tick? It's clear to me that a big part of the answer is in Lua programming.

There are a lot of Lua files in DCS:BS (over 900 in my installation:)) and I was having problems locating files that might have some effect on the sim...how it is displayed or how it might react or ....

So I decided to do a recursive folder search to find all of the Lua files in my installation. I've not even begun to scratch the surface of what some of these files do (other than the common ones I've seen discussed here). But it looks like there is a lot of good information here and I wanted to capture it for future use. I thought there might be others with similar interests so I am attaching a zipped Excel spreadsheet that lists all of the DCS:BS folders that contain Lua files, along with the file name, size, and modification date (at least as shown on my installation...yours may vary somewhat depending on controller setup or monitor config). If you find this useful, feel free to download and modify or use as you wish...I plan on adding a notes column with remarks on file use information as I plow through some of these.

Warning & Disclaimer: Modifying Lua files can have disastrous effects if you do not know what you are changing (and maybe even if you do ;)). It's common sense to have made a backup copy of the original file before you try any changes so that you can always restore to the original. I also make comments inside the files and comment out the original line if I make a change so I can remember what I've done and why I did it.

Hope this proves useful to someone.

DCS-LUA Files.zip

WH_Blaster (Larry) :beer:

US Air Force (Retired, 1961-1981)

Join us for fun with the DCS series and other games at the War Hawks Squad website ... we are a mature gaming group that enjoys realism and having fun! http://war-hawks.net

System: i7=950 @ 3.3 GHz, GA-X58-UDR3 MB, 6GB RAM, GTX770, 256GB system SSD, 128GB gaming SSD, TIR5, TM HOTAS WH, HannsG 28-in, Acer 23-in touch screen.

You're welcome. No, I'm afraid I am the "tool" ... I used a utility called DirectoryPrint (via CNET's download.com) to compile the list then cut & pasted into Excel. The pasted data is usable but I "had" to fiddle with it. Generally, I just used some text-to-columns work and formatting for readability. I guess you could do a VBA macro to automate some of the task but I've not played with macros much in Excel 2007 -- which I like a lot more than the older versions. I use an add-on called ASAP Utilities which simplifies a lot of standard Excel tasks ... it's a free add-on and very useful.

WH_Blaster (Larry) :beer:

US Air Force (Retired, 1961-1981)

Join us for fun with the DCS series and other games at the War Hawks Squad website ... we are a mature gaming group that enjoys realism and having fun! http://war-hawks.net

System: i7=950 @ 3.3 GHz, GA-X58-UDR3 MB, 6GB RAM, GTX770, 256GB system SSD, 128GB gaming SSD, TIR5, TM HOTAS WH, HannsG 28-in, Acer 23-in touch screen.