9M123 Khrizantema - the "Grim Reaper" for tanks

topol-m

The 9M123 Khrizantema is designed to replace the Fagot (AT-4/SPIGOT), Konkurs (AT-5/SPANDREL), and Metis (AT-7/SAXHORN) missiles. It can operate in all-weather, day or night. The missile launching system is mounted on a bmp-3 chassis and is also tested for use by helicopters.

It has two modes of guidance: the first mode is automatic - the missile is guided by a radar and does not require the gunner to maintain visual contact with the target. The second mode - in which the missile follows a laser beam is semi-automatic and requires the sight to be kept on the target until the missile strikes.

A BMP-3 armed with hrizantema system can simultaneously destroy 2 tanks at max. distance of 6 km using either the same or different modes of guidance. These missiles can also attack slow and low flying aerial targets and can penetrate over 1000 millimeters of steel armor protected by explosive reactive armor.

Edited by topol-m

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is no fire and forget mode - the radar guides is Command-Line-Of-Sight. The laser guidance operates on the same principle.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Any pictures?

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I never heard RU has any fire forget missiles (like Mavs) from this segment of weaponry.

Any source for your text?

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

There is no fire and forget mode - the radar guides is Command-Line-Of-Sight. The laser guidance operates on the same principle.

Not visial contact required, but you may be right about the line of sight. If there is a hard obstacle between firing and targeted vehicle probably it can`t be used.

I never heard RU has any fire forget missiles (like Mavs) from this segment of weaponry.

Any source for your text?

Various places. Posting one with more details in some aspects: http://warfare.ru/?catid=261&linkid=1580

Edited by topol-m

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not visial contact required, but you may be right about the line of sight.

Yeah, because it's radar it can track through smoke etc - but it still requires no obstructions along the flight path which is what line of sight means - obviously it's a term that was originally applied to visual contact, now also being used fro other methods.

Various places. Posting one with more details in some aspects: http://warfare.ru/?catid=261&linkid=1580

This missile does not come with a seeker - at least in the land operated version ... so it isn't fire and forget, you must maintain LOS - but the engagement can be fully automatic which is a plus.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

This missile does not come with a seeker - at least in the land operated version ... so it isn't fire and forget, you must maintain LOS - but the engagement can be fully automatic which is a plus.

Yep, agreed. Probably i got some old info about it being "fire and forget". But well its much better than laser guided. If integrated in helis or in future versions of BMP launching with not just 2 but multiple firing pods it it will allow to attack several targets at the same time instead of just 1 like it is with vikhr.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think that's just because they can beam ride two at once - I don't think this is necessarily very superior to hellfire in rapid-fire mode, and definitely not superior to hellfire-mmw which -is- fire and forget (but there have been problems with it).

It is superior in range to Javelin, but then Javelin is man-portable and fire and forget ...

So I think it is an interesting system, but for it to be fully effective you must fight in a plain where you -can- get 6km range. It is definitely a superior weapon to Vikhr in some respects (penetration, for example) but it is effectively still the same type of missile guidance, despite the fact that you are using alternate laser and radar as the beam.

Mind you, the trick is to also realize that while it might not combine the BEST possible characteristics, it might not matter - it is still a very dangerous weapon ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Probably the small range is its weakest point right now. But it wont be very difficult IMO to modify it to have a greater range for heli use at least, cause when launched from a bmp, it must be really a perfect situation to have 6 km of line of sight, which is not very likely.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It isn't a small range though ... 6km is about what most anti-armor weapons do ... I expect this is usable range, like for vikhr - yet you can shoot vikhr farther against immobile target. I could be wrong of course.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

An interesting video showing the Kornet anti-tank missile capabilities. It is somewhat similar to the 9M123 Khrizantema, and probably both will be widely used replacing older designs in Russia`s arsenal and exported a lot.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0ed_1222273613

The next step is to somehow make it inexpensive enough for a mass production.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

(about 9M123 Khrizantema)

I thought that the design of the carrier looks ridiculously complicated and presents a lot of parts for failure to be honest.

The 6000m range is impressive, any idea how long the missile will be in flight for? (all I could see was 'supersonic')

Too many cowboys. Not enough indians.

GO APE SH*T

The 6000m range is impressive, any idea how long the missile will be in flight for? (all I could see was 'supersonic')

The maximum range of the missile is 6000 meters with a maximum speed of 400 meters per second; thus it is supersonic

so 15+ seconds at 6km (maximum range), 1 second or so at a quarter mile.

Cheers.

Yup. Unless that rocket motor burns for a very long time (which I doubt) this is probably what it is. For example, check the TOW thrust-range-time graph, I'm fairly certain it is available online.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yup. Unless that rocket motor burns for a very long time (which I doubt) this is probably what it is. For example, check the TOW thrust-range-time graph, I'm fairly certain it is available online.

That's a very good point.

I think you can see what i'm getting at here, would you want to wait ~20seconds whilst you wait for your missile to hit the target?

Can this fire on the move? I wouldn't like to be stationary on the modern battlefield in a BMP.

Too many cowboys. Not enough indians.

GO APE SH*T

It probably can ... if it takes a lot from the Vikhr though, it may be faster than I'm thinking - the Vikhr's engagement times are much smaller than TOWs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]