Why do you have to have DVD version?

Lav69

I don't understand the aversion to buying and downloading BS. Bad internet connection? Afraid to use credit card online? You absolutely have to have another DVD laying around to clutter up your desk even more?

So many individuals have expressed their extreme desire to have this sim but they have to wait for the DVD version.

Why? What is it? Why can't you download the freakin game?

I don't understand the aversion to buying and downloading BS. Bad internet connection? Afraid to use credit card online? You absolutely have to have another DVD laying around to clutter up your desk even more?

So many individuals have expressed their extreme desire to have this sim but they have to wait for the DVD version.

Why? What is it? Why can't you download the freakin game?

Because of the reasons you pointed out. + You can't delete it and reinstall it for endless times (as far as I know it was limited to 5 times...)

And btw: do you have to buy the dvd on internet (for example amazon) or will you be able to buy the dvd in your local shop?:pilotfly:

Because of the reasons you pointed out. + You can't delete it and reinstall it for endless times (as far as I know it was limited to 5 times...)

And btw: do you have to buy the dvd on internet (for example amazon) or will you be able to buy the dvd in your local shop?:pilotfly:

As for reactivation's there is a way to save a reg string so that you don't have to reactivate with a new installation.

As for where you will be able to buy the DVD I am unsure. I think there will be internet retailers and it will be in a couple select stores. Not sure though as I have had the game for some time now and don't need a DVD - hence this post.

I preordered mine from GameStop.I would imagine it being on the shelf as well.

I am here to fly..

Using my PC Power & Cooling 1200watt PSU

Asus Rampage Black 10

i7-4820k @ 4.1 on Air

32Gb Dominator

Asus Eyeinfinity 580X 8Gb

X-Fi Gamer

all on Windows 10 64bit in a

Lian-Li PC70 with 6 fans moving air thru case

Fly with WartHogs

Race with G27

Where did you got that info?. You can download and install it as many times you wish. Other limitations are related to activations required only when you change hardware or operating system, but those apply to dvd and download version as well.

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Because of archivation/safety reasons. What if my HDD breaks ? What if my internet connection gets unreliable ? What if something happens to the database up there on the server and you won't be recognized the next time you would want to re-download this ?

The DVD is something I can have safely stored for the next reinstall.

...well someone has to move the mud!!!

Where did you got that info?. You can download and install it as many times you wish. Other limitations are related to activations required only when you change hardware or operating system, but those apply to dvd and download version as well.

QFT

Additionally, just burn the downloaded files to a DVD, so no further redownloads are required.

I have to say that a couple of years ago I was pretty sceptical about this whole digital distribution thing myself, I always wanted to have a nice box with manual and such. But my mindset in that regard has changed somewhat, seeing that pretty much all games are nowadays released in the same nondescript DVD-Box with manuals that most of the time are not worth the paper they are printed on. So, if the download version is in the same price range as the boxed version (hey Steam, 1$ != 1€ :mad:) I usually save myself the waiting game and just download it.

DVD version makes sense only for ED at the moment in my opinion. Having a retail version at the stores greatly increases your customers who didn't know the game before.

It also makes sense for collection purposes :) It feels good to have a "Black Shark" case in your shelve, although it has no advantages over download version.

What differnce does it make really. I imagine some people just prefer to have the physical DVD while others just can't wait and downloaded it (that was me).

Now services like steam..don't get me started on that! :thumbdown:

-- CoolHand

I bought the DL version so I could play it now. I will buy the DVD version to support ED and also to have a back up sitting right there in my DVD case, in case of catastrophy on my HD.

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

I bought the DL version so I could play it now. I will buy the DVD version to support ED and also to have a back up sitting right there in my DVD case, in case of catastrophy on my HD.

What does a hard drive melt down have to do with it? If you have either version you just reinstall. You log into DCS site and there is your download and serial number waiting for you.

I bought the download version of Lock On years ago and never have I had any problems reinstalling. This includes numerous reformats (none of which did I use the activation save file dochie-ma-flopper) and a new computer.

It has to do with having options. I can redownload or I can just flop the DVD in. My choice of what dance I want to do. Not to mention it supports ED with another sale. I will always buy both, money willing.

Dusty Rhodes

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

It has to do with having options. I can redownload or I can just flop the DVD in. My choice of what dance I want to do. Not to mention it supports ED with another sale. I will always buy both, money willing.

I personally wouldn't pay any more than the cost of the digital download.

But I would like to say I think it's great that others, like yourself Dusty, who are offering to GIVE so much more. It helps the devs and us to continue to get great software. Plus you aren't giving your extra cash to those greedy ministers of the church, right? Anyway, you pay a little more so I don't have to--thank you very much. Maybe next time, DCS will offer the DL version at the lower retail store price since so many of you buy both including $80.00 color manuals. :clap_2:

Gigabyte|Q6600|8GB DDR3|GTX285|Win7 64|X-65

Because more people than many would think dont´use internet like his main suply of info about games. Many people just came to a shop looking for something, and find the DVD box of BS.

The potential costumers of BS are not only in forums like this. This is, IMHO, why ED-DCS would offer his products not only via internet but also in phisical storage like DVD in shops all over the world.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

I personally wouldn't pay any more than the cost of the digital download.

But I would like to say I think it's great that others, like yourself Dusty, who are offering to GIVE so much more. It helps the devs and us to continue to get great software. Plus you aren't giving your extra cash to those greedy ministers of the church, right? Anyway, you pay a little more so I don't have to--thank you very much. Maybe next time, DCS will offer the DL version at the lower retail store price since so many of you buy both including $80.00 color manuals. :clap_2:

It is money well spent. I will get my $160 of entertainment (DL, DVD, Manual) in spades with tens, if not hundreds of hours of enjoyment and entertainment time consumption. That is how I judge the worth of my entertainment dollars and my choice of purchases. Hell I am even buying a new computer over the one I have below so I can play Black Shark and any other Flight Simulation coming down the pipe at playable FPS.

Edited by Dusty Rhodes

Dusty Rhodes

It is money well spent. I will get my $160 of entertainment (DL, DVD, Manual) in spades with tens, if not hundreds of hours of enjoyment and entertainment time consumption. That is how I judge the worth of my entertainment dollars and my choice of purchases. Hell I am even buying a new computer over the one I have below so I can play Black Shark and any other Flight Simulation coming down the pipe at playable FPS.

Yeah, I used some of that extra cash saved to buy that stupid $300.00 GTX285. Remember when all the latest cards use be under $100.00? Don't get me wrong, I am quite content with the new card, but it seems Nvidia got my extra cash v.s. DCS. I now get 50fps compared to sub 30,s with my old 8800GTS.

I went in the config file and set the FPS to max 30 now so BS doesn't have to do any extra graphics processing; it pretty much stays locked to 30FPS and now I don't need to be concerned with it. Good luck on your new rig; beware that ASUS thinks that their mobos are worth 2x now from a couple years ago. It seems that they don't want to sell them for under $200.00--I was able to get a great Gigabyte board for just a tad over 100 bones!

Remember when all the latest cards use be under $100.00?

O.o

When was that and how much inflation have we had since then?

Oh, and are we talking about actual 3D cards or are we back to the age when SVGA was hawt or EGA circuits?

I do have an old Trident card somewhere though...

EDIT: I actually checked out some old Voodoo 2 press releases, with recommended pricetags of between $339 and $399. They also had two on-circuit SLI versions (that is, Scan-Line Interleave, not the current SLI) at $599 and $699. And you still had to have an other card for general windows and 2D use. I used a "standard" Voodoo2 12MB back then along with a 4MB Trident card for 2D/Windows. Mmm... Memories. All the way back to the good old 286 that I tried my hand at QBASIC with. :D

EDIT2:

Might as well include a link to the release I read: http://www.quantum3d.com/press/HTMLarchive/3-31-98a.html

Also, a guru3d review of the Voodoo2: http://www.guru3d.com/review/wizard3d.html

I love how they refer to a 350MHz Pentium II as "really HIGH-end". I had a PII 300MHz, but the release of Black & White forced me to upclock it. It wasn't all that stable on 450MHz but it ran! >.<

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I have the downloaded version and I have put it onto a DVD:thumbup: so hard drive failures -which i have never had ) will not affect me.;)

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

What differnce does it make really. I imagine some people just prefer to have the physical DVD while others just can't wait and downloaded it (that was me).

Now services like steam..don't get me started on that! :thumbdown:

It doesn't make any difference. I was just curious why so many peeps seemed to be tormenting themselves over this game when a simple download is all it took months ago to get airborne.

I have the downloaded version and I have put it onto a DVD:thumbup: so hard drive failures -which i have never had ) will not affect me.;)

Yep. A little common sense goes a long ways. :thumbup:

I have to say that those who waited for the DVD release have WAY more patience than I do heheh. I bought the Rusky download, then the english download and I'll most likely buy the dvd.

I just backed up the digital download onto a DVD so I'll always have it. Supporting DCS is also something I'd like to contribute to as well :)

I'm a DCS fanboy....hate to say it :pilotfly:

When was that and how much inflation have we had since then?

In the mid to late 90's and almost into 2000. They seemed to all be priced like sound cards, and then one year the price tag jumped to 200, and then the very next they were 400. I don't see how inflation made video cards jump up 400% in 2 years alone--it's a joke, and the joke is on US. Anyway, they have been laughing all the way to the bank since.

Ohhh no! I forgot to add the Russian version to the price tag.

Russian Download 50.00

English Download 50.00

English DVD 40.00

Color Manual 80.00

Total 220.00

Holy smokes! Some people are going to spend close to $220.00 after it's all said and done. I personally think that a hardware upgrade is more important then spending all your dough on software. But some peeps are still running only 2gb of ram when it's dirt cheap, and blowing their wad on DCS--don't get me wrong--I applaud all of you that are doing this; it's not smart, and this is the reason why American GM is in the crapper, but it keeps the devs smiling and it helps pay for that extra drink for them (on you). So yes, by all means, spend, spend, spend!

...and blowing their wad on DCS--don't get me wrong--I applaud all of you that are doing this; it's not smart, and this is the reason why American GM is in the crapper, but it keeps the devs smiling and it helps pay for that extra drink for them (on you). So yes, by all means, spend, spend, spend!

Well, when an American developer manages to make a good flight sim, I'll be more than happy to support that too. :music_whistling: Right now it feels like the market is cornered between ED and Oleg Maddox (c'mon Oleg, show us that BoB!)