tool for stopping vista internal processes?

Hi all,

I bought vista mainly for DCS-BS but often I don't get too much fps - gain because of some underground-vista-processes that eat up to 4-7 % CPU every 10 seconds or so (sometimes less, sometimes it goes back to zero - then the fps in DCS-BS rise). I deactivated Antivirus and Firewall.

Can you recommend a tool (in WinXP I used enditall but this doesn't seem to work in vista) to shut down these processes?

Thanks

What a creative way to shut down the firewall to increase performance. That's a bit like cutting down your walls when you want to be alone. ;)

Well, since you got Vista only for playing BS I guess you bought Vista Home 32bit, right?

If you fell for the options, though, you probably got the Ultimate 64bit version, which installs a lot of stuff you will never ever use, maybe you won't even see it.

1. Disable the autoupdate-function. (Security Center)

2. Disable Windows-Defender realtime-check. (Security Center)

3. Disable AERO, even better: Optimize desktop for performance. It will then look like XP, but it will be much faster on low-end machines. (Rightclick Computer in your Startmenu, then go for "advanced preferences" (I guess that's what it's called in English - the 4th of the upper options on the left -> Performance -> Visual effects)

4. Disable Windows-Sidebar and also click to not load the Windows-Sidebar on startup in the options. (Otherwise it will be loaded but not shown)

4. In add/remove programs, Windows tab, remove unwanted Windows-Gadgets

5. If you know what you are doing and have Vista Ultimate, you can also check the taskplaner for unwanted tasks like automatic defrag and system analysis and index building. (Computer Administration)

6. Decrease swapfile-size or at least set it fixed (like 4GB minimum and maximum) - that way it won't be decreased or increased while running processes. (Performance-Tab as described in 3.)

7. If you really, really know what you are doing, disable services not needed or set it from automatic start to manual.

How much memory do you have, btw?

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

thanks mates.

So firewall isn't eating performance ?

I have Vista home basic 64bit with 2 Gig Ram (not more possible I'm afraid due to mainboard restrictions) and yes- I use the affinity check.

Which swapfile size should I use?

The fps drop is about 20-30% sometimes.

Good link, MadTommy.

@ oho:

Theoretically it does, but not that much. There are other services demanding much more RAM and CPU cycles.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Heres what no one else has suggested except Crunch...I used this when I was playing on a laptop on vista.

Alacrity. It basically shuts down all unneeded services for vista. It gives you a LOT less stuttering over everyone elses solutions, its easily moddable, and it reverts everything back to normal when you kill alacrity. I dont much use it anymore since its unnecessary for me now, but it was the cats own ass when I used it.

• Like 1

You can also try this one:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/vsoptimizer.html

It helps deactivating unwanted services. A very handy tool, especially for those using the Ultimate Version. In the meanwhile there are also various registry-files available on the internet, which use the same method to gain performance.

e.g. you can run Vista in Barebone-config, which will basically disable all gadgets, cosmetics and security-features, but your system will only use a portion of the memory it used before, boot up really fast and it responds really quick.